• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Diversity lottery 2016 - Family name issue

VladWestern

Hi I have applied for the DV-2016 on behalf of myself but I wanted to ask my father to apply as well but there's a little problem not sure if it is or not. Anyway, when I was born. My parents thought of naming me with the same name as my father so me and my dad have identical full names. It's stupid to ask but better be safe than sorry, will it cause problems if our full names are the same? Though the age factor should put a distinguishing difference between applicants but I should receive an opinion from the experts on here. Also while on he subject, should my dad refer me as a derivative during his application? My current age is 21, I heard that if you are an adult, then your parents shouldn't put you as a derivative is that correct?

Hope to see replies and thank you.

Hi I have applied for the DV-2016 on behalf of myself but I wanted to ask my father to apply as well but there's a little problem not sure if it is or not. Anyway, when I was born. My parents thought of naming me with the same name as my father so me and my dad have identical full names. It's stupid to ask but better be safe than sorry, will it cause problems if our full names are the same? Though the age factor should put a distinguishing difference between applicants but I should receive an opinion from the experts on here. Also while on he subject, should my dad refer me as a derivative during his application? My current age is 21, I heard that if you are an adult, then your parents shouldn't put you as a derivative is that correct?

Hope to see replies and thank you.

Your example shows why date of birth is considered important. Yes you can both enter, but you are correct that the system will pick up two identical names. Your DOB and photos help distinguish that.

The eDV entry form now validates the age of derivatives, so your father will not be able to add you as a derivative on his entry.

Each of you will have to meet the education and other requirements.

Thanks for the quick answer!
But he should mention that he has a child on the application correct?
Also another interesting thing which kinda concerns me.
Both I and my father are from Estonia, both of us were born there but Estonia is a unique backwards little country if you heard of it. In spite of of being born there, he was issued with a "grey" passport. Estonian alien's passport, he was born in the time when Estonia was still part of USSR while I was born after the declaration of independence so if I had won the lottery then the process will be straight forward but for him... I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Both I and my father are from Estonia, both of us were born there but Estonia is a unique backwards little country if you heard of it. In spite of of being born there, he was issued with a "grey" passport. Estonian alien's passport, he was born in the time when Estonia was still part of USSR while I was born after the declaration of independence so if I had won the lottery then the process will be straight forward but for him... I have no idea. Any thoughts?

On the eDV he cannot mention you - however it may be possible (and if so, would be wise) to add you to his DS260 if he wins. Because that will be important to sponsor you once he is a citizen.

Eligibility is just about place of birth. It doesn't matter what type of passport or citizenship either of you hold today - the most important thing is your birth certificate.

Is he able to travel out of the country with the "grey" passport or not? Anyway why not wait to get selected first before worrying about something that may turn out to be a none issue at the end of the day. Come after May 1st 2015, if he's selected and you're still bothered about his passport issue.

As answered, eligibility is determined by place of birth, not passport. As long as he has a valid travel document it doesn't matter what it technically is.

If you are ineligible for a derivative visa, no he does not have to mention you on the application. Please read the rules properly, as this is explained in there.

Btw I have been to Estonia, ok really just to Tallinn, but it is beautiful :)

Is he able to travel out of the country with the "grey" passport or not? Anyway why not wait to get selected first before worrying about something that may turn out to be a none issue at the end of the day. Come after May 1st 2015, if he's selected and you're still bothered about his passport issue.
I prefer to think 2 steps ahead, as mentioned he hasn't applied yet so I wanted to know if there's a point to it since this whole alien's passport thing is unique among us Russian communities based in Estonia and Latvia thankfully it's by the birth of place as stated so now it won't hurt for him to try as well.

As answered, eligibility is determined by place of birth, not passport. As long as he has a valid travel document it doesn't matter what it technically is.

If you are ineligible for a derivative visa, no he does not have to mention you on the application. Please read the rules properly, as this is explained in there.

Btw I have been to Estonia, ok really just to Tallinn, but it is beautiful :)

Ye, it's a nice small city. Pretty quiet too, a nice little tourist getaway from the big city life once in a while :)