Direct Consular Filing from India

Rahul,

In reply # 244 you wrote "Letter of employment is MANDATORY! "

I have a question. I recently became citizen and I am planning to go to India to look for a life partner and get married. As I am planning to go for a long time, I am not going to take up any job, and I am not working now either. I can only show show bank statements, but no W2 or pay slip.

I hope I won't be having problems, as long as the balance is okay. Am I right in my assumption?

jt

morpheus,
Great to hear from you. I too have successfully DCF'ed . Things went great for me! How is your wife doing ? Time to apply I-751 ?

jt_54321,
Letter of Employment is mandatory for I-864 (Affidavit of Support). I am not a 100% sure but if you dont have a current job , you can either

a) Get a co-sponsor
b) Show assets atleast 5 times over the poverty line. (Approx 75K I believe)

Dcf

Hi Rahul, great news... Is your wife here yet?
Still time for the I751. The last I checked it was 90 days prior to the 2nd anniversary of your entry into the country.

BTW, whats this 60 day thing for the DCF process? Have they changed the rules to allow only those US Citizens who reside in India for a period of at least 60 days?
I remember reading the notice outside the embassy stating that when I went there in Jan 2004, but they were lax about the rule then since it also stated that petitions of people not residing in India for a period of 60 days would be accepted at the embassi's discretion.
Has anything changed????
Leme know please...

morpheus,
Wife got her visa in 2 months flat. she is to come next week. Remember your wife can apply for citizenship while I-751 is pending adjudication so apply both together 90 days prior!

All USCs must reside in india for 60 days for them to accept DCF. Period. No exceptions except if your parent who you are filing for is over 75 yrs of age. I applied on my 60th day in India.

Rahul Kumar said:
Spoke to 2 friends of mine who did DCF.. Here what i learnt

* DCF is done at Delhi only, its a walk in procedure.After processing the office fwds it to your local Consulate
* DCF is done as a matter of courtesy only
* DCF *may* be eliminated alltogether (lot of talk of it)
* If approved DCF applicant gets a green card stamping in 3 months!!!

Keep your fingers crossed

Hello everyone,
I have a question similar to this one. Can I file , i mean is DCF applicable for filing GC for my parents? has any one gone through....pls share ur experience.....thx a lot.

I-824, nebrasca HELP

HI All!!!!!

Can anybody HELP ME?!
Does anybody know Why Nebrasca Center keeps the case(I-824) which was filled in USA Immigration Service in Nebrasca on Sept. 17th,2004 and processing dates on March 4th was October 18th, 2004?!?!?!?!?!?!Why do they keep the case and not approve it after the processing date was due a month ago?!?!?!?!?!!?
Does anybody had similar experience?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Sec. question:IF my husband file I-824 DCF(USAmbassy in Croatia, since I am,wife,croatian citizen)now,is it going to be faster for my papers, GC, to be done even though my I-130 has been approved already?!?!?!?!?!
THX for the answer...

DCF Vs K3

Whats the preferred way to apply for PR for spouse now-a-days from India.
I heard that thay have a 60 day stay rule now . Also is New Delhi embassy's
INS center is closing ? Any updates on that.

Thanks
Krishna

DCF for person married in USA.

Hi Rahul Kumar and Friends

HAd been to USA on Single entry visa. Before i could turn in my I-485, i had a family emergency and had to come back to India. I am married to a US citizen in USA. So does the Delhi consulate approve DCF for a person married in USA or i shall have to file from USA only.

Can u please suggest me the possible options to reach to USA in the fastest possible way.

Many Thanks.

bimcy said:
Hi Rahul Kumar and Friends

HAd been to USA on Single entry visa. Before i could turn in my I-485, i had a family emergency and had to come back to India. I am married to a US citizen in USA. So does the Delhi consulate approve DCF for a person married in USA or i shall have to file from USA only.

Can u please suggest me the possible options to reach to USA in the fastest possible way.

Many Thanks.

Your US spouse will have to live in India for 60 days before apply at New Delhi. Other option is to file I 130 at the service center your US spouse falls under. It could take approximately 6 months at CSC and VSC and longer at other service centers (Nebraska and Texas).
Good luck!

Thanks for the info Phillydude,
i would like to know one more thing in particular. The US citizen will stay in India for 60 days. But is DCF accepted in Delhi, if the marriage is done in USA?
Also that the place where my spouse can file visa falls under Texas category, Can she still file at CSC or VSC, the way you recommended?
Appreciate all your help.

bimcy said:
Thanks for the info Phillydude,
i would like to know one more thing in particular. The US citizen will stay in India for 60 days. But is DCF accepted in Delhi, if the marriage is done in USA?
Also that the place where my spouse can file visa falls under Texas category, Can she still file at CSC or VSC, the way you recommended?
Appreciate all your help.
If the marriage took place in US, how did the alien spouse get to US in the first place (what kind of visa)? No, you cannot apply at any other service center, you will have to apply at "your" service center. I did NOT recommend any service center, i was merely making a point that VSC and CSC are faster.

phillydude said:
If the marriage took place in US, how did the alien spouse get to US in the first place (what kind of visa)? No, you cannot apply at any other service center, you will have to apply at "your" service center. I did NOT recommend any service center, i was merely making a point that VSC and CSC are faster.
I went there on Fiance Visa - K1. I got married. Before i could turn in my I-485, i had a family emergency and had to come back home. Also as i could not file my I-485, i was also not eligible for a travel parole(i-131).
Now if this DCF cannot be done in Delhi(just because i got married in USA) i think i would not like my wife to waste her 60 days in India.
Can you please tell me, what you think the fastest possible way can be?
I understand your point about VSC and CSC being faster.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

One of the quickest ways (DCF seems ruled out for you, but send an email to the Delhi embassy) is to file an I-130 in your SC. VSC/CSC are the fastest no doubt

I-130 filed, Now what?

Hey all,

I went to India, got married and filed the I-130 on May 20th. So what happens now and what all things do I need to send my spouse? What kind of questions do they ask at the interview? I am being told that they even go to the level of asking when and where we went for honeymoon and the bills to support our claims... Is this true?

Is there a way for me to check the status sitting here in the US, online?

Please shed some light on where to go from here on.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Good luck
Once you file I-130 at New Delhi. They told you right on spot that you file been approve it and you have to pay fees at counter. Once you flie at Delhi. They will forward your file to which evern juridiction your spouse belongs to. Either Bombay, Culcata or Chennai. Once they will receive your file they will send you Bio-data form to your spouse and she need to attach her passport copy with that and fill out that form and send it back to embassy. Try to send as soon as possible. Most of the embassy Schedule for Visa interview during the each month of 15th so if you send them your form before 10, i would say before 10 they can put you next month Visa interview date. The package that you received in mail call Package 3. Which contain your file number starting with BMB for bombay...so on. and your catogary, either CR1 or IR1. and that about to take 1-2month to get visa interivew.
the only thing that you need to send her that your affidavite of support.
I hope this info is inough for you.
Good luck

In terms of the kinds of questions they ask, check out the list I compiled a little while back...

ratrat said:
By the way, I did some searching around at various forums and came up with a consolidated list of the crazy questions they may ask at the interview:

1. When did you get married?
2. At what time of day was the wedding?
3. Where did u meet your spouse?
4. How old are you? How old is your spouse?
5. Is this your first marriage?
6. Is this your spouse's first marriage?
7. Have you ever stayed outside India for more than a year?
8. Have you ever been denied a visa to the US before?
9. Where and when were you born?
10. What work do you do?
11. How many people attended your wedding?
12. What work does your spouse do?
13. Why did you get married? :p
14. Have either of you got any children?
15. How long have you and your spouse known each other? Why didn't you
get married before this? :confused:
16. What college degrees do you have?
17. Where are you planning to live in the US? What do you know about
the place you are going to live? What has your spouse told you about
the place?
18. What are you planning on doing in the US?
19. Questions about spouse's family - parents, siblings, immediate family etc.
20. Show me your wedding album/some wedding pictures?
21. They might ask for history of relationship - old pictures, some emails.

:D

Ratrat

Thanks a bunch to keyun21 and ratrat for giving me some good info...

I am from Ahmedabad and my spouse if from Gurgaon. I filed the I-130 with my indian address on it, so where will they send the paperwork to? Do they usually send it to the address of the spouse residing in india and not the indian address of the US citizen spouse?

deepiceman said:
Thanks a bunch to keyun21 and ratrat for giving me some good info...

I am from Ahmedabad and my spouse if from Gurgaon. I filed the I-130 with my indian address on it, so where will they send the paperwork to? Do they usually send it to the address of the spouse residing in india and not the indian address of the US citizen spouse?

Wow I never thought about it but the way i did was i used my addresss for both colunm. So dont know which one they use it. I believe that since you file it for your wife may be..oky..just taking guess..may be they will send it to yr place. Not sure but you can confierm with yr travel agent. Please do that.
Good luck