• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Country of Eligibility

tavuua

Hi guys,

I was wondering to apply for DV2017, but I have problem filling out the "Country of Eligibility" section.
Me, my husband and my parents were born in X country (which is in the middle east and is eligible for DV program) but I have Japanese passport. Since Japan does not accept dual nationality I had to renounce my previous nationality (Now I just have Japanese passport).
I am not sure which country should I write as a "Country of Eligibility". I do appreciate if someone could help me in this matter.
Thanks

Please read the instructions carefully. You will see that nationality/citizenship has nothing at all to do with eligibility. It is all about country of birth. So you use that. But please read the instructions to ensure no other potential errors.

Please read the instructions carefully. You will see that nationality/citizenship has nothing at all to do with eligibility. It is all about country of birth. So you use that. But please read the instructions to ensure no other potential errors.
Thanks.
I`ve read it thousand times, but I wanted to hear a professional comment for that to become sure.

In your case, you can apply using any of the country if you are legally married.

1. You can use Japan and this will be totally legal even if you changed the citizenship
2. You can apply using your legal husband's country of birth only if you are LEGALLY married BEFORE you register for the DV lottery. In this case you and your husband will be both principal applicants and will have to enter the US together. If by some reasons your husband decides to stay or in case of divorce, you will not be able to proceed with your GC if you are the winner.

So, my recommendation is to use Japan, unless your husband is born in OC or EU country with higher chances of winning.
Which country your husband is born in?

In your case, you can apply using any of the country if you are legally married.

1. You can use Japan and this will be totally legal even if you changed the citizenship
2. You can apply using your legal husband's country of birth only if you are LEGALLY married BEFORE you register for the DV lottery. In this case you and your husband will be both principal applicants and will have to enter the US together. If by some reasons your husband decides to stay or in case of divorce, you will not be able to proceed with your GC if you are the winner.

So, my recommendation is to use Japan, unless your husband is born in OC or EU country with higher chances of winning.
Which country your husband is born in?

The OP cannot, absolutely cannot, use Japan as country of eligibility. On what basis are you recommending the OP to claim Japan???

If not, then the first sentence should state the country of birth of the OP.

1. Country of birth
2. Country of her husband in case they are legally married before registering DV form

My mistake. I thought that her husband and parents were born in middle east and she was born in Japan.
I had to read the post more carefully

As I understand, she is born in Japan.

If not, then the first sentence should state the country of birth of the OP.

1. Country of birth
2. Country of her husband in case they are legally married before registering DV form

She clearly stated she, her husband and her parents were born in "country X" which is in the Middle East and eligible for the lottery. She never said she was born in Japan and she doesn't need to state the exact country of birth in this forum.