• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

''City Where You Were Born'' issue!

I don't understand why you have such an attitude.

And also, I'M SO SORRY for getting in touch with the embassy regarding my question. What an idiot I am for not trusting an arrogant random on the internet more than the US embassy in my country.

That's the crux of it. People spending time trying to help you only to be told they will be ignored for the advice anyway and that they are arrogant randoms. Gee, hard to understand why people respond the way they do.

Like britsimon said, good luck with your application. Should you win, I hope you find a forum that is not full of randoms if you need help you with the process, but rather has actual people with experience who spend their time trying to help randoms with drive-by postings.

Last edited:
As a dv winner myself, I actually could relate to OP's concerns. I would have been stressing over it too considering the form says not to put a district but my papers list exactly that.
But on the other hand, I understand that those who have responded (Britsimon, Susie, Mom) are used to much bigger questions that have been raised in this forum that they might feel the OP overthinks too much about such 'small' detail.
Anyway, having been through the process myself, yes, I would suggest the OP to relax. Unless you put a city in Bangladesh while you were actually born in Sweden, I doubt this would be an issue. I'd imagine putting either one is safe, but maybe to stick to what your official papers state is best?
My passport doesn't list my middle name, l was so afraid of being disqualified because of inconsistency of data or something, but nothing, nada, my visa was issued with no problem.
And to this forum's experts, I really think you guys deserve endless thank-yous and prayers for your voluntary dedication to the threads, but when answering those first-timers' innocent worries, just reminisce the moments when you were to apply for it yourselves, ("I'm still in college, do I check 'some university courses' or 'high school diploma'? Omg I should contact the embassy! Wait, should I call or e-mail? I'm gonna call to tell them I sent an e-mail!")
Dunno if you guys were such hypochondriac freaks, but I was, and I imagine a lot of people were and will be too.

Cheers!

Last edited:
As a dv winner myself, I actually could relate to OP's concerns. I would have been stressing over it too considering the form says not to put a district but my papers list exactly that.
But on the other hand, I understand that those who have responded (Britsimon, Susie, Mom) are used to much bigger questions that have been raised in this forum that they might feel the OP overthinks too much about such 'small' detail.
Anyway, having been through the process myself, yes, I would suggest the OP to relax. Unless you put a city in Bangladesh while you were actually born in Sweden, I doubt this would be an issue. I'd imagine putting either one is safe, but maybe to stick to what your official papers state is best?
My passport doesn't list my middle name, l was so afraid of being disqualified because of inconsistency of data or something, but nothing, nada, my visa was issued with no problem.
And to this forum's experts, I really think you guys deserve endless thank-yous and prayers for your voluntary dedication to the threads, but when answering those first-timers' innocent worries, just reminisce the moments when you were to apply for it yourselves, ("I'm still in college, do I check 'some university courses' or 'high school diploma'? Omg I should contact the embassy! Wait, should I call or e-mail? I'm gonna call to tell them I sent an e-mail!")
Dunno if you guys were such hypochondriac freaks, but I was, and I imagine a lot of people were and will be too.

Cheers!

Ernhem, the regulars (Mom, Susie and I are all previous DV winners) spend a lot of time here precisely because we know that little details can seem like a huge deal - and in fact some of them are! However, I think it is a shame that the OP decided to come back and express herself as she did, but this is the internet and there are some strange folk out there....

Cheers!

I honestly wasn't going to respond to this issue and was going to let people continue to post whatever catches their fancy with regards to this issue, but at this point I feel there's need for one or two clarifications to be made.

First of all, the 3 responders you listed in your post are also past DV winners and they clearly understand what selectees go through, most of the things we share are based on personal experience.

I personally do not consider any question too minute to be asked or dealt with (assuming it's not a question that's been asked over and over again simply because the person asking is too lazy to check a previous response). So when somebody is stressing and worrying over something, and I respond by saying stop stressing and overthinking it, I mean exactly that. Because that is the truth, the process is a lot simpler than most people realize, we're not trying to say people are crazy when they're worrying over something that seems immaterial based on experience. We're simply trying to put people's minds at rest.

Gosh! How I wish I had someone to tell me to stop stressing when I went through the process!!

Hi,

I actually didn't mean to stimulate a debate where anyone feels they need to be defensive or anything, but I just thought that some responses thrown at the OP in this thread were just a little bit harsh? (at least to me, and maybe a few others reading, considering cafeconleche's post). She was simply raising a question on her quite unique situation that I imagine many people would have wondered too if they encountered the same problem. It was minor maybe, but nothing like 'hey guys, what is case number, again?' and nothing crazy like 'i submitted a photo of me with my hair curly and now they're straight! help'

I'm sorry if my post somehow insinuates 'I'm a DV winner, guys and you're not', because I'm well aware that you 3 are all DV winners, I have been an occasional and silent reader of this forum since 2012 and amazed by your knowledge and willingness to help others here.

My post was just a friendly suggestion, if you know that small things could seem like huge deals at this stage, and you want to put their mind at rest, that's amazing, and I agree, a lot of people really need to be reminded to stop overthink, (gosh, including and especially me back then). But then that wasn't really reflected in some of these responses, I guess? Again, I respect all of your dedication and don't expect anyone to be all sugar and spice and 'hello dear'-ing everybody here all the time, but I was a little surprised reading the responses in this thread in a 'whoa, they don't have to be like that' kinda way.

Yes, she overthinks, and hell yes, someone needs to point that out to her, to just chill, relax, that really is nothing! But I assume the responses could hardly make her relax.

Just my humble opinion :)

I keep re-reading the thread to figure out what I missed.

I was surprised at the badgering comment (I couldn't work out where the badgering had happened) and very surprised at the OPs reaction (which was a rude post telling "someone" not be be rude).

Anyway, I think we've done this to death - almost to Shakespearean farce levels.