citizenship employment question- registered company on spouse name and work for that company

annciti

Registered Users (C)
while filling employment section in citizenship application form, I got few questions.If anybody come across/have gone through this kind of situation . can you shed some light on this issue..

I got GC in 2007 after few months I stopped working with the company which I got GC. I had registered company(S-corp) with my wife name(house wife), from there on wards (since 5 years) I am working with my company. The payroll running only for me not for my wife with my company. I was only one employee with my company..every year generating W2 for me..the remaining money from the company distributed(K1) end of the year to both of us(me 50% & wife 50%).

1. my application: In employment section how do I specify about employer.is it self employment or since i am getting w2's every year. can I fill out the my company name as my employer?

2. wife application:; About my wife, her payroll doesn't run through the my company & she doesn't work at any other company also.only thing company registered with her name and every year remaining money from my company, distributed(K1) to between us (50%(me) - 50%(my wife)) and filing taxes jointly every year.
In her employment section, how do I specify about employer?.is it self employment or NO employment?

While I'm not sure how to answer your specific questions I just want to point out a different issue you mentioned, i.e. leaving your greencard sponsor "after few months"... How long have you been with him? was it 2-3 months or more like 10-11 months?
Rule of thumb: leaving after 2 years - you're automatically in the clear. 1-2 years you'll have to provide some explanation but usually not a big deal... Less than 1 year - you have a heavier burden to prove bona-fide in leaving....

1: Write the company name as your employer, since it's a registered corporation and you're a W2 employee.

2: If she does some kind of management tasks for the business, write the company name, and something like "business owner" as the occupation. But if she doesn't participate in the business and her only involvement is being a 50% owner, then she's just a passive investor like somebody who owns shares in a company on the stock market, so she would write no occupation.

However, in case the interviewer asks how she's been financially supporting herself without a job, she should bring some documentation to show that she's a 50% owner in the company, and receives a cut of the profits of the company.

thank you

1: Write the company name as your employer, since it's a registered corporation and you're a W2 employee.

2: If she does some kind of management tasks for the business, write the company name, and something like "business owner" as the occupation. But if she doesn't participate in the business and her only involvement is being a 50% owner, then she's just a passive investor like somebody who owns shares in a company on the stock market, so she would write no occupation.

However, in case the interviewer asks how she's been financially supporting herself without a job, she should bring some documentation to show that she's a 50% owner in the company, and receives a cut of the profits of the company.

thank you

While I'm not sure how to answer your specific questions I just want to point out a different issue you mentioned, i.e. leaving your greencard sponsor "after few months"... How long have you been with him? was it 2-3 months or more like 10-11 months?
Rule of thumb: leaving after 2 years - you're automatically in the clear. 1-2 years you'll have to provide some explanation but usually not a big deal... Less than 1 year - you have a heavier burden to prove bona-fide in leaving....

I had worked with the GC sponsored company from 2004 to 2007. after TWO months I got GC then I moved from GC sponsorship company to my company...

is that a problem? If so what kind of questions INS will ask, what documents I need to provide?

so many people are moving to different employer before getting GC with EAD..after getting GC they never working with the GC sponsored company again..is it also problem for these people?

I'm not saying it is necessarily a problem, but just expect to be asked on that, and have a reasonable/objective reason for leaving... The shorter you stayed with GC sponsor - the more convincing your explanation should be... It doesn't matter that you had worked 3 years BEFORE the GC, the question is how long you stayed AFTER so it doesn't look like you have abused the "system" just to get a GC and then go do whatever... I stayed with my sponsor 2 years 3 months. Tomorrow is my interview... We'll see how that part goes...:confused:

Don't worry about it. In the only known cases of people having a problem for leaving too soon, they left the employer before 1 month after GC approval, and even though they had a problem in the interview their citizenship was still approved after supervisor review.

Based on AC21 it would appear that the time working for the sponsoring employer during adjustment of status counts for something.

I'm not saying it is necessarily a problem, but just expect to be asked on that, and have a reasonable/objective reason for leaving... The shorter you stayed with GC sponsor - the more convincing your explanation should be... It doesn't matter that you had worked 3 years BEFORE the GC, the question is how long you stayed AFTER so it doesn't look like you have abused the "system" just to get a GC and then go do whatever... I stayed with my sponsor 2 years 3 months. Tomorrow is my interview... We'll see how that part goes...:confused:

thank you for input and clarification ..GOOD LUCK for you about your interview..

Don't worry about it. In the only known cases of people having a problem for leaving too soon, they left the employer before 1 month after GC approval, and even though they had a problem in the interview their citizenship was still approved after supervisor review.

Based on AC21 it would appear that the time working for the sponsoring employer during adjustment of status counts for something.

thank you again..

..GOOD LUCK for you about your interview..

Thank you very much. The interview went easy and smooth. I wasn't asked a single question (!!) about my GC sponsoring job or why I left them... Hopefully that would work for you as well :))

while filling employment section in citizenship application form, I got few questions.If anybody come across/have gone through this kind of situation . can you shed some light on this issue..

I got GC in 2007 after few months I stopped working with the company which I got GC. I had registered company(S-corp) with my wife name(house wife), from there on wards (since 5 years) I am working with my company. The payroll running only for me not for my wife with my company. I was only one employee with my company..every year generating W2 for me..the remaining money from the company distributed(K1) end of the year to both of us(me 50% & wife 50%).

1. my application: In employment section how do I specify about employer.is it self employment or since i am getting w2's every year. can I fill out the my company name as my employer?

2. wife application:; About my wife, her payroll doesn't run through the my company & she doesn't work at any other company also.only thing company registered with her name and every year remaining money from my company, distributed(K1) to between us (50%(me) - 50%(my wife)) and filing taxes jointly every year.
In her employment section, how do I specify about employer?.is it self employment or NO employment?

Did you get Citizenship already ?

Did you get Citizenship already ?

You do realize this Thread is 5 years old and the person you're asking a question hasn't been in this forum since 2013? You've been posting all rather old over Threads - you might want to pay attention to the displayed dates on the threads you're unearthing.