• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Change the address where the green card is going to be sent

Dord

Hey everyone,

So today I crossed the border, gave the sealed envelope and everything and went back home because I still have a few things to settle. I plan on moving for good this winter.

At the border I asked the officer to change the address where the green card is going to be sent, but she told me I couldn't do that there, that I had to do it online... But I can't find where exactly, she wasn't very helpful..

Could you guys help me out ?

Thanks a lot

Hey everyone,

So today I crossed the border, gave the sealed envelope and everything and went back home because I still have a few things to settle. I plan on moving for good this winter.

At the border I asked the officer to change the address where the green card is going to be sent, but she told me I couldn't do that there, that I had to do it online... But I can't find where exactly, she wasn't very helpful..

Thanks a lot

Grrrr - that was your opportunity to change it at the POE. The officer should have done that.

I'm not sure what will happen if you use the change of address page - your card may still go to the old address - but the form is here:- https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot

The IO at the border was wrong in not letting you change/update the address. It takes a while for the online change of address to be reconciled with whatever they currently have on record for you. So the card will most likely be sent to that old address.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if you're required to provide an address on ELIS when you make the $165 GC payment. If it's required and you haven't made your payment yet, then you can use the new address when making the payment in addition to doing an online change of address.

If you have a trusted person at the old address, then ask them to be on the look out for the card in case it ends up going to that address and they can send it to you upon receipt.

Thanks for your help guys.

I already made the payment and did not provide an address.
The green card is simply put in the mailbox, there's no need to sign anything ?

What if the green card is sent back to USCIS, will I be able to give the correct address then ? Any extra fee to be expected ?

The GC is sent with a tracking number, but no signature is required on delivery.

If USPS returns the card as undeliverable to USCIS and you've already initiated an address change online, then you call USCIS and request for the card to be sent to your new address.

The GC is sent with a tracking number, but no signature is required on delivery.

If USPS returns the card as undeliverable to USCIS and you've already initiated an address change online, then you call USCIS and request for the card to be sent to your new address.

Hi. Could you clarify? The GC comes with post to your mailbox. Do you have to be home or anything like that ?

Hi. Could you clarify? The GC comes with post to your mailbox. Do you have to be home or anything like that ?

Nope, you don't have to be at home to receive it. It's simply dropped in your mail box.

Even people who have successfully - they thought - got POE to change the address have reported it being sent to the address on the forms. (Our officer at POE actually asked if we wanted him to change the address or if it was ok so yes definitely that is where it should have been done.)

There is space in ELIS for changing the address but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

So, all in all I agree that most likely outcome is that it will end up at the original address. Can you have someone there send it on?

Thanks a lot for your help guys !

I'll try and find a way to have somebody pick up the green card at the old address and send it to me, it should be the easiest way.

I had a feeling the officer wasn't exactly on point, she also had no idea I could go back to France right now before receiving the green card to settle my things, have somebody send it to me in France, then move in for good in a few months. She told me I had to wait in the US for my green card then I'll be able to move freely. I said ok thinking it was most likely ignorance on her part since I've read quite the opposite everywhere online. I guess I got lucky with the lottery but not with my border officer! ;)

Thanks a lot for your help guys !

I'll try and find a way to have somebody pick up the green card at the old address and send it to me, it should be the easiest way.

I had a feeling the officer wasn't exactly on point, she also had no idea I could go back to France right now before receiving the green card to settle my things, have somebody send it to me in France, then move in for good in a few months. She told me I had to wait in the US for my green card then I'll be able to move freely. I said ok thinking it was most likely ignorance on her part since I've read quite the opposite everywhere online. I guess I got lucky with the lottery but not with my border officer! ;)

You should call USCIS ( 1-800-375-5283) there you can change your address.

I believe it's possible to do so online:
sign to your ELIS account>>> view my profile (on the bottom left list)>>> profile >>>> update profile information>>> then i didn't proceed coz i was afraid to affect my own data :p try it your self

Grrrr - that was your opportunity to change it at the POE. The officer should have done that.

I'm not sure what will happen if you use the change of address page - your card may still go to the old address - but the form is here:- https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAForm.do

Hi Britsimon

initially I thought my POE will be Washington(as my sponsor was there) & I was put my green card address of Virginia. now I want to settle in California or any other state, then can I change my green card receiving address accordingly , & can it do in POE (wherever) , pls tell me same address ,will I receive the SSN (change address) . still I am in my mother country & I haven't pay USCIS fees online.

Hi Britsimon

initially I thought my POE will be Washington(as my sponsor was there) & I was put my green card address of Virginia. now I want to settle in California or any other state, then can I change my green card receiving address accordingly , & can it do in POE (wherever) , pls tell me same address ,will I receive the SSN (change address) . still I am in my mother country & I haven't pay USCIS fees online.

Yes, you change the address at the POE (remember to bring that up - they sometimes forget). In theory your SSN would be sent there too. However, a few days after entering go to the ssa office to check if there is a SSN application for you. That seems to be missed more often than not.

Yes, you change the address at the POE (remember to bring that up - they sometimes forget). In theory your SSN would be sent there too. However, a few days after entering go to the ssa office to check if there is a SSN application for you. That seems to be missed more often than not.

Great !!! Thanks for the information.