1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

Can we travel on Indian Passport after becoming US Citizen

Discussion in 'Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) Issues' started by RSMuser, Sep 17, 2009.

1. RSMuser

RSMuser Registered Users (C)

I have indian passport valid until 2011. Now i am getting my citizentship (oath is on 09/25/2009 ) After i get the US Passport, Is it must that we need to have OCI/PIO Card/Visa to travel India or can we travel with the Indian passport?? can we have both passports and use Indian passport to Enter india and use US Passport to Enter US?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Rjain2

Rjain2 Registered Users (C)

You will definitely run into problems if you try using your Indian passport after gaining US citizenship.

The Indian Constitution does not recognize an Indian holding another citizenship so the moment we become US Citizens, we virtually renounce our Indian Citizenship ... the fact that you hold an Indian passport valid for x more years is inconsequential to your Indian Citizenship status. You will need either Visa, PIO or an OCI to travel to India along w/ your US Passport.

I don't see any interpretive or mitigating issues that the Indian Immigration authorities will be sympathetic to so better plan on getting one of the three authorized entry permits for India once you get your US Passport.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2009
  3. saf

saf Active Member

India doesn't allow dual citizenship officially. They have already established the intelligence computer system at any Indian port. It is not advisable to use Indian passport after becoming a US citizen. When you take a US citizenship oath on 09/25/2009, your Indian passport will be invalid. However, Indian visa or OCI/PIO must be obtained in order to enter India. Of course, US passport is a must, too because your US green card will be taken away at the US oath ceremony and you won't be able to enter USA without US passport or US green card.