Can we travel on Indian Passport after becoming US Citizen

RSMuser

Registered Users (C)
I have indian passport valid until 2011. Now i am getting my citizentship (oath is on 09/25/2009 ) After i get the US Passport, Is it must that we need to have OCI/PIO Card/Visa to travel India or can we travel with the Indian passport?? can we have both passports and use Indian passport to Enter india and use US Passport to Enter US?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will definitely run into problems if you try using your Indian passport after gaining US citizenship.

The Indian Constitution does not recognize an Indian holding another citizenship so the moment we become US Citizens, we virtually renounce our Indian Citizenship ... the fact that you hold an Indian passport valid for x more years is inconsequential to your Indian Citizenship status. You will need either Visa, PIO or an OCI to travel to India along w/ your US Passport.

I don't see any interpretive or mitigating issues that the Indian Immigration authorities will be sympathetic to so better plan on getting one of the three authorized entry permits for India once you get your US Passport.

I have indian passport valid until 2011. Now i am getting my citizentship (oath is on 09/25/2009 ) After i get the US Passport, Is it must that we need to have OCI/PIO Card/Visa to travel India or can we travel with the Indian passport?? can we have both passports and use Indian passport to Enter india and use US Passport to Enter US?

Last edited by a moderator:

India doesn't allow dual citizenship officially. They have already established the intelligence computer system at any Indian port. It is not advisable to use Indian passport after becoming a US citizen. When you take a US citizenship oath on 09/25/2009, your Indian passport will be invalid. However, Indian visa or OCI/PIO must be obtained in order to enter India. Of course, US passport is a must, too because your US green card will be taken away at the US oath ceremony and you won't be able to enter USA without US passport or US green card.