Can I travel outside US while waiting for reentry permit

AussiAmerican

Hello everyone,
I have a Green card and am overseas. I just got my physical Green card 4 months ago.
I need to apply for a USA Re-entry permit so I need to go to USA. I am currently studying at a non-USA post graduate university so I need a USA re-entry permit.

1) How long does it take to get a re-entry permit? (From when I apply for it in USA until they tell me to come in for finger printing?)

2) Once I apply for it in USA can I travel to Canada, UK etc for 10 days and then return to USA to wait for them to tell me to come in for finger printing? I have relatives in Canada and UK.

3) How many times can I get a re-entry permit? I am doing my PhD at a non-USA institution and it takes 4 to 6 years part time. After this I shall settle permanently in USA.

Thank you

Hello everyone,
I have a Green card and am overseas. I just got my physical Green card 4 months ago.
I need to apply for a USA Re-entry permit so I need to go to USA. I am currently studying at a non-USA post graduate university so I need a USA re-entry permit.

1) How long does it take to get a re-entry permit? (From when I apply for it in USA until they tell me to come in for finger printing?)

2) Once I apply for it in USA can I travel to Canada, UK etc for 10 days and then return to USA to wait for them to tell me to come in for finger printing? I have relatives in Canada and UK.

3) How many times can I get a re-entry permit? I am doing my PhD at a non-USA institution and it takes 4 to 6 years part time. After this I shall settle permanently in USA.

Thank you
Presumably it will be very difficult if not impossible to maintain the Green Card while physically residing abroad for another 4 to 6 years for your PhD.
Please find some related information here https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence
and here on Re-entry Permit information https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf

Thank you for your reply and for the links.
It appears that I can apply for the re entry permit when I arrive in USA.
The link you provided says I'm allowed to leave the USA as soon as I apply for the re entry permit if I provide them with a photo and fingerprints. And that I don't have to wait for them to give me the re entry permit.
So how can I submit my photo and fingerprints in order for me to apply for rentry permit and then leave without losing my green card?

Thank you for your reply and for the links.
It appears that I can apply for the re entry permit when I arrive in USA.
The link you provided says I'm allowed to leave the USA as soon as I apply for the re entry permit if I provide them with a photo and fingerprints. And that I don't have to wait for them to give me the re entry permit.
So how can I submit my photo and fingerprints in order for me to apply for rentry permit and then leave without losing my green card?
Please go through the linked document on Re-entry information, the I-131 filing process is explained there in some detail. Then follow-up here https://www.uscis.gov/i-131. You will be invited for Biometrics (photos, fingerprints) several weeks after you successfully filed the I-131 application. The issue you may be facing is that another 4 - 6 years residing abroad without ever having established US residence at any time is a very long time period to cover by stringing Re-entry permits together. This may or may not work for you. Good luck!

Thanks I did read that before, but needed confirmation. If I do need to wait several weeks for Biometrics after filing for I-131, am I permitted to leave the USA for 2 weeks or so before I'm called in for Biometrics without problems? I need to meet with my PhD advisor and do research in uk. I thought I'd make good use of my time. To wait several weeks in USA for biometrics means I also spend a lot of money on hotels etc.

Thanks I did read that before, but needed confirmation. If I do need to wait several weeks for Biometrics after filing for I-131, am I permitted to leave the USA for 2 weeks or so before I'm called in for Biometrics without problems? I need to meet with my PhD advisor and do research in uk. I thought I'd make good use of my time. To wait several weeks in USA for biometrics means I also spend a lot of money on hotels etc.

Yes, you're permitted to leave. Just ensure you have a trustworthy person who can inform you of your bio notice arrival should in case it shows up while you're out of the country.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-131instr.pdf

"You must be physically present in the United States when you file the Reentry Permit

application and complete the biometrics services requirement."

Normally you would file, do the biometrics then leave if you have to. Problem is that you won't know how long the time span between filing and biometrics appointment will be.

Yes, you're permitted to leave. Just ensure you have a trustworthy person who can inform you of your bio notice arrival should in case it shows up while you're out of the country.
Thank you both of you. It's been my impression from watching other reentry permit filers that it takes on average, 45 days until the biometric appointment. So I thought I'd file in USA and then go to uk for 10 days and then return to USA to await my biometric appointment. I don't know if you think this is feasible or too risky? If I'm still up in uk when they tell me to come in for the biometric appointment how much advance notice will I get? Perhaps if I'm still in uk when I get the biometric appointment notification, I can cut my uk stay short and return to USA?

Thank you both of you. It's been my impression from watching other reentry permit filers that it takes on average, 45 days until the biometric appointment. So I thought I'd file in USA and then go to uk for 10 days and then return to USA to await my biometric appointment. I don't know if you think this is feasible or too risky? If I'm still up in uk when they tell me to come in for the biometric appointment how much advance notice will I get? Perhaps if I'm still in uk when I get the biometric appointment notification, I can cut my uk stay short and return to USA?

The bio notice typically gives like a two weeks' notice.