1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I apply for citizenship after 2 years from the green card?

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by rabih7, Dec 21, 2008.

  1. rabih7

    rabih7 Registered Users (C)

    Hello All,

    I applied for my green card and waited 2 and half years to recieve it, however i recieved the permanent one directly based on a marriage to an american citizen.

    I was told that since i never recieved the temporary one, i should be able to file for citizen ship 2 years after the date on the green card " September 9, 2007 is the date i became a resident" and that i shouldn't wait 2 years and 9 months.

    please let me know if anyone has experienced something familiar,
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
  2. GCman2005

    GCman2005 Banned

    the wait time doesnt matter (if you waited 2 years or 10 years) , you need to wait 2 years and 9 months after the date you became a resident.
  3. Jackolantern

    Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

    Do you mean you waited 2 and a half years to receive the physical card after your permanent resident application was approved, or that you waited 2 and a half years for the application to be approved?

    You can apply for citizenship on the later date of:
    (1) 3 years minus 90 days of being a permanent resident living in the US (note that this is not exactly the same as 2 years and 9 months). This 3 years starts counting from the date you first were in the US with an approved permanent resident status; not the day your physical card was made or received.

    (2) 3 full years of being married to and living with a US citizen. This 3 years starts counting the day you legally got married, whether or not you were a permanent resident when you got married.
  4. jac2005

    jac2005 Registered Users (C)

    If I understood correctly, you will be eligible to apply on (Sept 9, 2010 MINUS 90 days)

Share This Page