1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Obama's LEGAL immigration reform.

What does it mean? Listen to a discussion by Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna in the November 21 conference call recording. Subscribe to Our YouTube channel to be notified when new updates are posted.

Can I apply for citizenship after 2 years from the green card?

Discussion in 'US Citizenship' started by rabih7, Dec 21, 2008.

1. rabih7

rabih7 Registered Users (C)

Hello All,

I applied for my green card and waited 2 and half years to recieve it, however i recieved the permanent one directly based on a marriage to an american citizen.

I was told that since i never recieved the temporary one, i should be able to file for citizen ship 2 years after the date on the green card " September 9, 2007 is the date i became a resident" and that i shouldn't wait 2 years and 9 months.

please let me know if anyone has experienced something familiar,
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. GCman2005

GCman2005 Banned

the wait time doesnt matter (if you waited 2 years or 10 years) , you need to wait 2 years and 9 months after the date you became a resident.

3. Jackolantern

Jackolantern Registered Users (C)

Do you mean you waited 2 and a half years to receive the physical card after your permanent resident application was approved, or that you waited 2 and a half years for the application to be approved?

You can apply for citizenship on the later date of:
    (1) 3 years minus 90 days of being a permanent resident living in the US (note that this is not exactly the same as 2 years and 9 months). This 3 years starts counting from the date you first were in the US with an approved permanent resident status; not the day your physical card was made or received.

(2) 3 full years of being married to and living with a US citizen. This 3 years starts counting the day you legally got married, whether or not you were a permanent resident when you got married.

4. jac2005

jac2005 Registered Users (C)

If I understood correctly, you will be eligible to apply on (Sept 9, 2010 MINUS 90 days)