Can I apply for citizenship after 2 years from the green card?

rabih7

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I applied for my green card and waited 2 and half years to recieve it, however i recieved the permanent one directly based on a marriage to an american citizen.

I was told that since i never recieved the temporary one, i should be able to file for citizen ship 2 years after the date on the green card " September 9, 2007 is the date i became a resident" and that i shouldn't wait 2 years and 9 months.

please let me know if anyone has experienced something familiar,
Thanks in advance for your replies.

the wait time doesnt matter (if you waited 2 years or 10 years) , you need to wait 2 years and 9 months after the date you became a resident.

I applied for my green card and waited 2 and half years to recieve it, however i recieved the permanent one directly based on a marriage to an american citizen.
Do you mean you waited 2 and a half years to receive the physical card after your permanent resident application was approved, or that you waited 2 and a half years for the application to be approved?

You can apply for citizenship on the later date of:
(1) 3 years minus 90 days of being a permanent resident living in the US (note that this is not exactly the same as 2 years and 9 months). This 3 years starts counting from the date you first were in the US with an approved permanent resident status; not the day your physical card was made or received.

(2) 3 full years of being married to and living with a US citizen. This 3 years starts counting the day you legally got married, whether or not you were a permanent resident when you got married.