British Citizenship through my Grandfather

AlphaZeus

I'm American. My grandfather (on my father's side) was born in Yorkshire, England around 1902 (my father really doesn't know when he was born and we don't have a birth/death/marriage certificate). My grandfather moved to Canada at around 15 years old and later joined the Canadian army to fight in the last days of WWI. He then emigrated to the United States and became a naturalized citizen. I called the British consulate and they said that I could not become a British citizen. Could he have renounced his British citizenship when he became an American? Why did the British consulate say I could not become a British citizen?

mozelack said:
What was the reason why you couldn't become a British citizen? You should be able to.

My children are in a similar situation, since my wife is a British citizen because both of her parents are British, although she was born abroad.

My understanding is that the child born abroad of one or two British citizens is a citizen, but said citizenship does NOT pass to the grandchild, only the right of abode in the United Kingdom.

British Citizeship

Alpha,

Here is straw to cling to...Looks like your father would be eligible because your grandfather was British. Depending upon how important this is to you, your father should apply first, get his British citizenship which would then entitle you to the same.