1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

British Citizenship through my Grandfather

Discussion in 'Any Topic' started by AlphaZeus, May 4, 2005.

  1. AlphaZeus

    AlphaZeus New Member

    I'm American. My grandfather (on my father's side) was born in Yorkshire, England around 1902 (my father really doesn't know when he was born and we don't have a birth/death/marriage certificate). My grandfather moved to Canada at around 15 years old and later joined the Canadian army to fight in the last days of WWI. He then emigrated to the United States and became a naturalized citizen. I called the British consulate and they said that I could not become a British citizen. Could he have renounced his British citizenship when he became an American? Why did the British consulate say I could not become a British citizen?
  2. mozelack

    mozelack Registered Users (C)

    What was the reason why you couldn't become a British citizen?

    You should be able to.
  3. TheRealCanadian

    TheRealCanadian Volunteer Moderator

    My children are in a similar situation, since my wife is a British citizen because both of her parents are British, although she was born abroad.

    My understanding is that the child born abroad of one or two British citizens is a citizen, but said citizenship does NOT pass to the grandchild, only the right of abode in the United Kingdom.
  4. Koolbreez

    Koolbreez Registered Users (C)

    British Citizeship


    Here is straw to cling to...Looks like your father would be eligible because your grandfather was British. Depending upon how important this is to you, your father should apply first, get his British citizenship which would then entitle you to the same.

Share This Page