Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

interviewed on 2/1. oath date on 5/6

appointment was at 2:30. arrived at 1:00, went to E160 and left appointment letter at windows #1. 1:10 was called. Officer asked for green card, then started asked questions:
1. who's vice president
2. who lived in US
3. who wrote the declaration of indepdence
4. how many admendment
5. who made the consituation
6. forgot

Read: you can voite
Write: citizens can vote

This took less than 5 minutes, then went to E170. Waited about 10 minutes, a lady called me in. asked bunch of questions, mainly questions on the N400 forms. about 15-20 minutes; back to waiting area; waited another 10 minutes, got oath letter (yellow sheet). left build at 1:50.

good luck to all

I am just wondering, why are there significant delays in oath ceremonies at boston DO, applicants have to wait more than 3 months for an oath ceremony in Boston, whereas most district offices have same day oath or atleast within one month after the interview.

N-400 Application sent(Priority date)- 09/23/09
FP Appointment rec'd -09/30/09
FP done-10/20/09
Interview Date- 12/09/09,re-scheduled as 5 years of green card not up
Re-scheduled to 01/19/10,passed
Oath letter recd- 01/21/10
Oath Date- 04/19/10

Last edited by a moderator:
almost all Oath in Massachusetts are done by US district court and they do only twice a month (Average)
and this is the case even in 2004 and I found this after reading various post

You have to go thru the same security procedures as in airports... It is better to carry what is required and of course, cell phone is allowed but etiqutte is to have it silenced.

For interviews at the JFK Building in Boston, what exactly are you allowed on your person when you go to the interview? Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of what is allowed and what isn't? I was wondering whether I would be allowed to bring my cell phone with me.

Received the I-797C notices. For some reason, the application receipt number cannot be found in the USCIS Case Status system. I will wait for a day or two and try again.

Ok. Today my receipt number shows up in the online system. Added email/SMS notification to the cases.

Hi JPBoston,
I just had my interview today. Appointment time 10AM, arrived 9.30AM, in 5-10 minutes was called to the language/history test, passed in couple of minutes. In 10 minutes was called for the actual inteview, the guy did not want my driving record, checked green card and passport, just asked/checked application questions/answers and looked right through my eyes. He was sort of bored, doing his everyday work, trying to pass his day smoothly, before the interview had an intention to pass me through. The only issue was his accent, I did not fully understand him. I was out in 25 minutes, then got my letter in another 10 minutes, was out within an hour. Parked somewhere across the street in a public garage, hour and a half cost was $32. Oath date is May 20.
So good luck to you next week!

Hi JPBoston,
I just had my interview today. Appointment time 10AM, arrived 9.30AM, in 5-10 minutes was called to the language/history test, passed in couple of minutes. In 10 minutes was called for the actual inteview, the guy did not want my driving record, checked green card and passport, just asked/checked application questions/answers and looked right through my eyes. He was sort of bored, doing his everyday work, trying to pass his day smoothly, before the interview had an intention to pass me through. The only issue was his accent, I did not fully understand him. I was out in 25 minutes, then got my letter in another 10 minutes, was out within an hour. Parked somewhere across the street in a public garage, hour and a half cost was $32. Oath date is May 20.
So good luck to you next week!

Congratulations barseg! But my lord, what a bloody pain to wait another three whole months just for the oath ceremony. BTW, I did end up getting my attested driver's license which says I have had no incidents/accidents in the last 10 years ... so we're good there. Hey I will happily take a bored officer like yours. I work in downtown Boston and so will either walk or T it there.

Thank you! Well, my officer asked me looking right into my eyes, if I ever had any other citations, speeding tickets, how many times I were in the courts, which one of my two went through the court, if I ever were arrested, he did not care what is written in my driving record. But, yes, different officers might have different styles of doing their job. My husband had his interview a week ago, his officer asked him questions like "are you a terrorist" and something about narcotics, so they had fun during the interview. All in all I'd say interview is just a regular procedure and common people, with no very bad complications, pass it almost without noticing it. I'd consider officers as working people, like us, just doing their everyday job, trying to keep away from unnecessary stress and tension. Probably, yes, our worries is the most hard part of the whole thing. Three months.. well long enaugh to re-consider the whole thing.. just kidding.
Regards.

Hi Explorer 19,

Do they do interviews in other cities than Boston? I did not know this! Let us know how your interview in Lawrence will go.

Thanks

Hi Explorer 19,

Do they do interviews in other cities than Boston? I did not know this! Let us know how your interview in Lawrence will go.

Thanks

Hi Durres Special

Lawrence, MA is a new USCIS District Office opened around May 2009 in Massachusetts

Will keep you all posted about my Interview on 23 Feb 2010

I passed my interview this afternoon and over all, the interviews were quick and very smooth but the waiting times in-between were long. Spent a total of 1.5 hrs at the JFK Federal building. Interview time was 1.30pm and I got there at 1.15pm and went to room E-160. By 1.30pm, I had finished the initial civics test, English reading and writing test. The lady who administered that was very chatty and friendly and even joking with me. She was playfully asking me if I was nervous. Anyway, the civics questions were:

1. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
2. Name one branch of government.
3. How many years do we elect a senator for?
4. If both the President and Vice-President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
5. What does the President's Cabinet do?
6. How many justices are there on the Supreme Court?

Reading: What month is Columbus Day in?
Writing: Columbus Day is in October.

Then went to another room (E-170) for the main interview and after 20 minutes was called for the interview. The lady who interviewed me was very professional and basically went through all the questions on my N-400 application and verified nothing had changed. Now, I had gotten my green card through employment but shortly thereafter, got married to a US citizen and so I actually applied for naturalization after three years of marriage because I could do that instead of waiting out the five years. The lady had no questions about that and did not ask for any marriage-related docs. I did have every important document I could think of with me and so that would not have been a problem at all.

I had also answered yes on the application to the question of whether I had ever been arrested or cited because of a traffic accident I had in 1998. When we got to that, I told her I put yes because I had been given a traffic citation and paid the fine. She told me many people did the same thing but she said these cases do not apply to that question. So she said that she was changing my answer to no and did that on the form in red ink, initialed it and wrote that I had paid a traffic fine. She asked me whether I had ever been in court for any reason, which was no, and she also wrote that down there as well.

After that, she basically told me she was approving my application and when I asked about any possibility of getting onto an oath ceremony soon, she said she had no control over that and priority apparently was being given to Haitian applicants because of the Haitian disaster and many of them naturalizing to help out family there. Not sure how that helps but maybe the Federal govt has some assistance/refugee program for family of US citizens there. In the end, this interview probably took no more than 10 mins.

I then went back to the waiting area and waited for more than half an hour to get my oath letter. It is on *gasp* June 10th! And it's in *gasp (again)* Worcester, not Boston! I can only shrug my shoulders, smile and be grateful that despite the 3.5 month wait for the oath day, I am a very happy person today. Life is good.

Last edited by a moderator: