• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Blue background photo is problem ? my case number 2017AS000025**

psokka

Today I am happy that i check my result and i win the lottery but I just check my photo when i register, i use blue background . can anybody tell me that i will disqualify by putting blue background ?
When I read dv2017 instruction it doesnt require all photo has to be white or gray background. thank you expert and everyone for your idea.

Today I am happy that i check my result and i win the lottery but I just check my photo when i register, i use blue background . can anybody tell me that i will disqualify by putting blue background ?
When I read dv2017 instruction it doesnt require all photo has to be white or gray background. thank you expert and everyone for your idea.

Congrats! Actually, DV photo requirements explicitly state, among other things, that photo "must be taken in front of a plain white or off-white background".

Therefore, unfortunately, blue background (except extremely pale blue color) may be just enough reason to be denied a visa. But, then again, it's up to consul to decide as stated:"The acceptance of your digital image or photo is at the discretion of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply."

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos.html

Maybe the best thing you could do right now is to call embassy and consult them.

Last edited:

Yep, while we can't outrightly say whether or not this may lead to a denial, we can say with certainty the instructions clearly stated, on page 6 - regarding the photo - "the subject should be in front of a neutral, light-colored background". A blue background does not fall within the realm of neutral or light color. Your failure to use the right background shouldn't be blamed on the instructions provided.

https://travel.state.gov/content/da...ranslations/DV-2017 Instructions and FAQs.pdf

Maybe the best thing you could do right now is to call embassy and consult them.

Only the CO has the final say as to what the outcome will be. The people who answer the phone or respond to email messages on behalf of the embassy cannot say whether or not the OP will be disqualified as a result of this.

So should I give up on process ? Because I will spend money a lot on fee of embassy and medical . Will you ever meet somebody that has same problem like me ? Thank you expert for helping me with the idea .

So should I give up on process ? Because I will spend money a lot on fee of embassy and medical . Will you ever meet somebody that has same problem like me ? Thank you expert for helping me with the idea .

It's your call.

No one can tell you what to do. People have been disqualified for incorrect photo specs before but no one here can tell you what the CO will decide. And the money has different significance to different people. Only you can decide if risking the money is worth the chance to you.

I try to read in this forum but i do not find the person that has been disqualified by using blue background. if you all can find one for me, i will thank you for everything and thank everyone for your all idea. I think i may not continue my process if most of you say i will be disqualified during the interview. I just do not understand why Lottery select me if my photo is not corrected. lottery should never select me if they can find that my photo is not correct.

I try to read in this forum but i do not find the person that has been disqualified by using blue background. if you all can find one for me, i will thank you for everything and thank everyone for your all idea. I think i may not continue my process if most of you say i will be disqualified during the interview. I just do not understand why Lottery select me if my photo is not corrected. lottery should never select me if they can find that my photo is not correct.

My thoughts:

- Probably the reason you don't find people who are disqualified using blue background, is that most people follow the instructions and don't use a blue background.
- The entry process does not judge entries. Only a consular officer can decide what is or isn't acceptable. Selection in the lottery does not in any way mean you are definitely qualified to get a visa or that there is nothing wrong with your entry. Part of the reason they select more than they need is that there are always a certain % of entries that will be disqualified.

hmmm i think i will not continue my process because i will spend money on embassy fee , medical test fee and more . i will give up and try again in DV2018. since most of you have known that this problem will disqualify me during the interview. thank everyone and expert in here.

I have an update info to expert and everyone here in the forum. this morning i have called the US embassy staff responsible for DV Program and i ask them if my blue background photo will deny me visa during the interview. she said NO , you can come to the interview with the new 2 passport size photo and i try to ask her and confirm her again and she asks the other person in the embassy that is responsible for this kind of matter. they said it's ok. you can come for the interview and you will not get denial by the blue background photo. so what can I do now everyone ? should I continue my process ?

Only the CO has the final say as to what the outcome will be. The people who answer the phone or respond to email messages on behalf of the embassy cannot say whether or not the OP will be disqualified as a result of this.
Hi Sm1. I try to call the embassy and the staff that works for this type of matter. they said it's ok . on the day of your interview, please bring new 2 passport size photo to the embassy. I still have hope .

I have an update info to expert and everyone here in the forum. this morning i have called the US embassy staff responsible for DV Program and i ask them if my blue background photo will deny me visa during the interview. she said NO , you can come to the interview with the new 2 passport size photo and i try to ask her and confirm her again and she asks the other person in the embassy that is responsible for this kind of matter. they said it's ok. you can come for the interview and you will not get denial by the blue background photo. so what can I do now everyone ? should I continue my process ?

Well, the embassy is probably the best answer you'll get. Some are more lenient than others. Your call, but in your shoes I would trust the embassy staff more than a bunch of people on the Internet, however well-intentioned. That said, you still won't know for sure till after the interview.

Since my case number in 2000 range, I'll have interview on November or December and I will let you know if i can make it or not. thank you everyone and expert in this forum. you are the most helpful person i have ever known for this type of DV program.

Since my case number in 2000 range, I'll have interview on November or December and I will let you know if i can make it or not. thank you everyone and expert in this forum. you are the most helpful person i have ever known for this type of DV program.

I wish you all the best of luck, and I'm glad you took my advice and called embassy. As SusieQQQ said trust them more on such specific issue.

Hi Sm1. I try to call the embassy and the staff that works for this type of matter. they said it's ok . on the day of your interview, please bring new 2 passport size photo to the embassy. I still have hope .

Again only the CO will have the final say on the day of your interview. Just so you know, attending the interview with new set of photos is a standard requirement for every one though. It's not like the person you spoke with asked you to do that in order for the eDV registration photos to be replaced with the new set you'll be bringing.

Anyway, all the best and keep us posted on the outcome of your interview.

I would go for it if I was you. You still have time to save up if u worry about the fee and medical cost.

put a side a couple of dollars a day to save up for the fee. I if were u, I would also bring extra passport sized pictures to the interview and say "hey I made a mistake, here are some extra ones if you guys need it"

You might not be so lucky next year to win the lottery, let alone that good (low) number.

All you are risking is $330 visa fee and about 200$ for medical. This is a risk I am willing to take for something that can potentially change ur life.

Last edited:
I would go for it if I was you. You still have time to save up if u worry about the fee and medical cost.

put a side a couple of dollars a day to save up for the fee. I if were u, I would also bring extra passport sized pictures to the interview and say "hey I made a mistake, here are some extra ones if you guys need it"

You might not be so lucky next year to win the lottery, let alone that good (low) number.

All you are risking is $330 visa fee and about 200$ for medical. This is a risk I am willing to take for something that can potentially change ur life.

Context is important. While I'd generally agree with your sentiments - I can't remember where the poster was from (or even if we knew) but there are countries where $500 is a lot of money to risk. I know people in the country I come from, earning what is considered acceptable for their skill level, where $500 would represent about a third of their annual wages - before taxes or paying for any essentials like rent or food. And there are other countries where average per person income is less than $1000 a year. So it's not always that easy for someone to just have the "time" to "save up".

Context is important. While I'd generally agree with your sentiments - I can't remember where the poster was from (or even if we knew) but there are countries where $500 is a lot of money to risk. I know people in the country I come from, earning what is considered acceptable for their skill level, where $500 would represent about a third of their annual wages - before taxes or paying for any essentials like rent or food. And there are other countries where average per person income is less than $1000 a year. So it's not always that easy for someone to just have the "time" to "save up".
Susie, looks likely we come from the same place..lol