August Filers Post Here

Yay!! I just received my interview letter!

Here's the updated list:
1/21 - imme
1/26 - ProudPal
1/27 - panther0528
1/28 - pat2ondo
2/5 - dasi485
2/9 - Ilovethe80s
2/14 - Jupiter07
2/18 - fresh863
2/23 - talkingtac
3/9 - annaHJ

Congrats to everyone on their successful interviews. Please post your experience!

Congrats AnnaHJ! Good luck to you on your interview.

1/21 - imme (???)
1/26 - ProudPal (approved)
1/27 - panther0528 (approved)
1/28 - pat2ondo (approved)
2/5 - dasi485
2/9 - ilovethe80s
2/14 - Jupiter07
2/18 - fresh863
2/23 - talkingtac
3/9 - annaHJ

Hey guys, just wanted to update August filers. I got my wife's I-130 approval notice today. I guess its about time August filers should see something. Wish you all the best!

I received the approval notice for the I-130 and the welcome Notice yesterday.I will share my experience later.

Hey Guys,

Good News. We just finished our interview today and we passed. Thank God for everything. The lady was so nice she asked alot of questions especially about my wife's not having a job. Looked at our pictures.

Asked about our co-sponsor and how we met, asked me how I felt about my step son.never asked to see the marriage licence only proof of joint finances, car title and joint utility bill.

She said our case was approved and I should get my temporary green card in two-weeks.

Congs to all those who have successfully completed there interviews.

I found this on another forum but It was very helful to me hope u guys find it helpfull:

Worried about that scheduled marriage-based green card interview? Not sure what to expect from your examiner?

• Your burden is to prove (1) your believability (hint: being prepared is important!); and (2) genuineness of your marriage, as evidenced by children if any, joint tax returns, bills at a common living address, cross life-insurance policies, co-mingling of financial assets, wedding and other photos, and length of the relationship. USCIS relies on documents, documents, documents.

• Producing few documents may mean trouble. If you and your spouse live in different cities, you should produce airline itineraries, emails, exchanged cards, photos, and any other viable written documentation of your "commuting marriage."

• If the foreign spouse paid the American spouse to marry and be sponsored for the green card, then the green card will be denied. If there is a big age difference between spouses, expect to be grilled. If either spouse has been married multiple times, expect the same.

• According to the Field Adjudicator's Manual consulted by examining USCIS officials, the following are signs of a "sham marriage:" Large disparity of age; inability of petitioner and beneficiary to speak each other's language;vast difference in cultural and ethnic background;family and/or friends unaware of the marriage; marriage arranged by a third party; marriage contracted immediately following the beneficiary's apprehension or receipt of notification to depart the United States; discrepancies in statements on questions for which a husband and wife should have common knowledge; no cohabitation since marriage; beneficiary is a friend of the family; petitioner has filed previous petitions in behalf of aliens, especially prior alien spouses.

• If the alien spouse’s English is poor, take a translator.

• If the alien spouse has been arrested or convicted of a crime, don’t even think about attending the interview without procuring certified copies of all relevant police and court records and having them carefully examined by an experienced immigration lawyer. USCIS will require you to produce those same certified criminal records. So you might as well complete this task early!

• Men should wear slacks and collared shirts. Women should wear dresses of appropriate style and length or pant suits.

• Take all your identification documents, including the foreign spouse’s EAD and passport. Take an original and legible photocopy of all proof-of-marriage documents so you can put your hands on them quickly if asked, without fumbling.

• Leave cell phones and other electronic devices in your car.

• Early-morning appointment? Good sign. The USCIS examiner will have lots of other appointments. He will want to get you out the door. Most MBGC interviews end happily after less than 15 minutes.

• Afternoon appointment? Potentially a bad sign. The examiner may have spotted holes in your pre-filed paperwork or other defects. Could be a lengthy interview.

• Your attitude is the most important thing you will take into your interview. Preparation breeds confidence breeds optimism, enhancing your approval chances. This is not the same as plastering a smile on your face or ostentatiously holding hands.

• Listen carefully to the examiner. If you do not understand a question, ask the examiner to repeat it. Do not guess at answers. Do not volunteer information.

• At the start of the interview, you and your spouse will be sworn in. The examiner may turn on a video camera. He or she will ask you to be seated.

• Your examiner may or may not disclose his or her name. Get it! Ask politely. Have the examiner repeat the name if you did not hear it. Write it down or commit it to memory! This will be critical if your green card is denied.

• Young examiners may feel they have the most to prove. They may be overly-zealous, discourteous or even hostile. This is the exception. If it happens, shrug it off. Don’t get angry! To the contrary: Take a breath, stay calm, pause, and consider your answers even more carefully. Remember: Examiners have big caseloads and big pressure. They must make important decisions quickly. And they are often lied to.

• Expect the first minutes of your interview to be devoted to “housekeeping.” The examiner will ask for ID documents and may ask either spouse to confirm entries on the I-130, I-485 and G-325A forms. So memorize the most important info on those forms before the interview. Most critical: Date of your marriage, date of spouse’s admission into the U.S., and dates you began living together at your current and any earlier addresses.

• If the alien spouse is a Middle East male, expect tough questioning or worse.

• If you and your spouse are separated during the interview, you have a credibility problem. Typical treatment: The examiner may point to a wall calendar and ask both spouses (separately) how they spent the last seven days and where they spent the last seven nights. Either spouse may be asked to write down the other’s name and/or the name of the spouse’s parents, with correct spelling.

• If an examiner is convinced that the primary purpose of a marriage is to secure a green-card, he may accuse the U.S. spouse of “committing a crime” by filing green card paperwork for the foreign spouse. The trouble will “go away” if the spouse withdraws the I-130 petition. Or, the examiner may threaten an “ICE investigation.” Don’t give in to this bullying – and you should welcome an ICE investigation if your marriage is genuine.

• If the examiner approves the green card, the alien spouse’s passport will be stamped. Expect the green card to arrive by mail about two weeks later – unless the alien spouse remains tied up in lengthy “security checks” or USCIS lacks your correct address. The latter is your responsibility.

• If the examiner denies the green card, you will have the chance to renew the application before an immigration judge.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am very worried

my husband applied for me on Agust but there is no update yet.i think it took too long and more than usual.if anyone think like me i would appreciate to guide me.:rolleyes:

my husband applied for me on Agust but there is no update yet.i think it took too long and more than usual.if anyone think like me i would appreciate to guide me.:rolleyes:

I am still waiting on my Wifes Interview Letter, I applied in the beginning of august. See Time Line below.

My interview experience today -- not exactly the good news we were hoping for :(

The officer told us at the beginning of the interview that I had another I-485 filed years ago (employment-based) that was denied. She said she has to consolidate the files from the first I-485 with the current I-485 but has to request it from the Nebraska Service Center. I told her I brought those files with me. She asked me if there was any Notice to Appear or Order of Deportation. I said no. She looked at my files (the employment-based I-485, the denial, the appeal, the denial of the appeal, etc.)

Then she went through all my trips/entries to the US, including the B1/B2 visa I used in 1998. I used my H1B visa after that to enter the US about 5 more times between 2000 and 2005. My H1B status has lapsed since May 2007, so an overstay of about a year and 3 months (my I-485 from my husband was filed in Aug 2008 when he became a citizen). And she checked for any overstays, "to make sure you are eligible to adjust your status," she said. And I thought that would not be an issue at all since I am the spouse of a US citizen. Oh well.

The officer asked if my husband filed the petition for me AFTER my employment-based I-485 was denied. We told her it was filed BEFORE we found out it was denied. I guess she wanted to see if we got married only because my employment-based adjustment was denied.

Then we were sworn in, and were asked questions from the 485 form (full name, birth dates, address, date of marriage, any children, previous marriage, etc.). Then the terrorist, arrest, Nazi questions.

She asked for proof of life together, so we showed her bank statements, property deeds, car registration, life insurance, taxes filed, last will, etc. She was happy with these. She even said, "you are so organized, maybe you should work for me."

In the end, the officer told us that she cannot make a decision today, because she has to wait for the files from the Nebraska Service Center to see if there's any Notice to Appear that was issued. She said it is strange that I never got one, because it's customary to issue one after a 485 is denied. It would take about 2 weeks for her to get the files from Nebraska. She said if there was no Notice to Appear sent, then my Green Card will be mailed to me. If there was an NTA sent, then the case would go to an Immigration Judge (yikes).

For the record, I never got a Notice to Appear, though it doesn't mean they never sent it I guess. She said she called the automated Immigration Court phone line and that there was no record of my A# as one of the cases, so that is a good sign. Although she said it's not the most accurate gauge.

Hubby and I are obviously broken-hearted, but are trying to be hopeful.

I asked the officer if I can follow up after 2 weeks, and she said, I can follow up reasonably in about 3 months (WHAT???!!!!, but I didn't say that).

What do you all think?

What is the best way to contact USCIS, to get a decent answer?

My wife's case was transffered for processing on 10/02/08 according to the online status. Is it already too late?

My interview experience today -- not exactly the good news we were hoping for :(

The officer told us at the beginning of the interview that I had another I-485 filed years ago (employment-based) that was denied. She said she has to consolidate the files from the first I-485 with the current I-485 but has to request it from the Nebraska Service Center. I told her I brought those files with me. She asked me if there was any Notice to Appear or Order of Deportation. I said no. She looked at my files (the employment-based I-485, the denial, the appeal, the denial of the appeal, etc.)

Then she went through all my trips/entries to the US, including the B1/B2 visa I used in 1998. I used my H1B visa after that to enter the US about 5 more times between 2000 and 2005. My H1B status has lapsed since May 2007, so an overstay of about a year and 3 months (my I-485 from my husband was filed in Aug 2008 when he became a citizen). And she checked for any overstays, "to make sure you are eligible to adjust your status," she said. And I thought that would not be an issue at all since I am the spouse of a US citizen. Oh well.

The officer asked if my husband filed the petition for me AFTER my employment-based I-485 was denied. We told her it was filed BEFORE we found out it was denied. I guess she wanted to see if we got married only because my employment-based adjustment was denied.

Then we were sworn in, and were asked questions from the 485 form (full name, birth dates, address, date of marriage, any children, previous marriage, etc.). Then the terrorist, arrest, Nazi questions.

She asked for proof of life together, so we showed her bank statements, property deeds, car registration, life insurance, taxes filed, last will, etc. She was happy with these. She even said, "you are so organized, maybe you should work for me."

In the end, the officer told us that she cannot make a decision today, because she has to wait for the files from the Nebraska Service Center to see if there's any Notice to Appear that was issued. She said it is strange that I never got one, because it's customary to issue one after a 485 is denied. It would take about 2 weeks for her to get the files from Nebraska. She said if there was no Notice to Appear sent, then my Green Card will be mailed to me. If there was an NTA sent, then the case would go to an Immigration Judge (yikes).

For the record, I never got a Notice to Appear, though it doesn't mean they never sent it I guess. She said she called the automated Immigration Court phone line and that there was no record of my A# as one of the cases, so that is a good sign. Although she said it's not the most accurate gauge.

Hubby and I are obviously broken-hearted, but are trying to be hopeful.

I asked the officer if I can follow up after 2 weeks, and she said, I can follow up reasonably in about 3 months (WHAT???!!!!, but I didn't say that).

What do you all think?

I am so sorry but sure all will be fine soon.
Keep the faith