are Naturalization Certificates numbered consecutively? only 31 million naturalized?

Vyacheslav

Registered Users (C)
are Naturalization Certificates numbered consecutively?

my certificate, received last month, has a 8-digit number, 31XXXXXX.
my friend's certificate, issued in 2000, have a 30XXXXXX.........

after a quick search on Google, I noticed the certificates issued as early as
1960 only have 7-digit numbers.

does this mean that, as of this year, only 31 million people have ever been
naturalized in the United States of America in the last couple hundred years?
(or since they started issuing naturalization certificates) :confused

Last edited by a moderator:
This makes sense to me as there was mention by the USCIS that approximately 700K individuals get naturalized on an annual basis. Taking this average number would put us at roughly 33 million in the last 40 years.

This makes sense to me as there was mention by the USCIS that approximately 700K individuals get naturalized on an annual basis. Taking this average number would put us at roughly 33 million in the last 40 years.

Your numbers are way off LolaLi. I guess you didn't take the time to look at the USCIS data in the link. Again, only 21 million citizen were naturalized since 1907. The 700k annual average you cite is only valid for the last 12 years and can't be used to extrapolate back to 40 years. In fact, in the 40 year period from 1965 to 2005, only 12.7 million citizens were naturalized.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I stopped looking at USCIS data a long time ago because it is so skewed. But I will admit that my numbers are wrong.

Wow I expected the number to be much higher, given the population rise. I guess that's because of citizens having more babies, or illegal immigration.

Wow I expected the number to be much higher, given the population rise. I guess that's because of citizens having more babies, or illegal immigration.

that's why I'm confused as well.... if there had only been around 30 million naturalized citizens over the last 100 years, that's not a very large number. just consider the fact that there are estimated to be 12 millino illegal aliens inside the US right at this very moment) :confused:

that's why I'm confused as well.... if there had only been around 30 million naturalized citizens over the last 100 years, that's not a very large number. just consider the fact that there are estimated to be 12 millino illegal aliens inside the US right at this very moment) :confused:

Put it this way..there have probably been more illegal immigrants than naturalized citizens in the last 100 years.