April 2009, Filers, Post here

We had our interview this morning and we were approved. It was a quick and painless interview which lasted about 15 min.

First some background: I am a US Naturalized Citizen, I had petitioned for my wife, who was on H1B. We have been married for just under 6 years and have a 5 yr old child. We also jointly own the house we live in for the past 5 years. I was expecting a fairly simple interview, but was well prepared for it. I had taken the following documents with me:

1. Copy of GC application, EAD, Adv Parole, Passports etc.
  2. Original Marriage certificate and a certified copy
  3. Child’s birth certificate, Our birth certificates, Translation of My birth certificate
  4. Wife’s Paystubs (since 2003!) and employment letter (the interview letter asked for it- I know it did not apply to my case, but I carried it anyway)
  5. Wife’s old USCIS paperwork (for H1Bs etc)
  6. Tons of utility statements (3 utilities in my name, 1 in my wife’s name for over 3 yrs)
  7. My Naturalization Certificate
  8. Our house Deed
  9. Letter from my employer stating my wife is the primary beneficiary for my life insurance
  10. E-Tickets/Boarding passes from our last trip to India
  11. Picture album with about 70 pictures
  12. Health and Auto Insurance Cards
  13. Joint IT returns from 2005 onwards
  14. Joint IT Tax Transcripts from 2004 to 2007
  15. My paystubs for last 3 yrs
  16. Tons of Banks and Credit Card Statements
  17. Copies of everything above (for Utility and bank statements, I just took YTD copies)

We had a stack of paperwork about 15 inches high.

The interview was at the Mount Laurel, NJ USCIS office, which is about 35 min drive from our place. We were very familiar with the place as the place is just a couple of blocks from my wife’s work place and also I had been there in Feb 2009 for my naturalization. The Mount Laurel USCIS office is a nice, small office. The staff there is very pleasant and friendly (I could recognize a lot of faces from my oath ceremony from Feb 2009). The waiting room has big screen LCD TV playing CNN. The interview was scheduled for 10.45am, we were there by 10.20am. There were about 50 people in the waiting room when we reached there. We were called in at about 11.00am, by that time most people in the waiting room had already been called in.

The USCIS officer was a young male, seemed very pleasant. The officer ushered us into his office. After initial greeting, we were sworn in. Then the officer started reviewing our file. He asked the following questions:

1. My wife’s current status.
  2. How many children do we have
  3. He asked to see the original marriage certificate
  4. How I got my GC (before naturalization) – Employment based EB3
  5. Do we own our home
  6. He asked to see some kind of proof for that, we passed a stack of mortgage statements (last 3 yrs), he just glanced at them and returned them to us.
  7. Yes/No questions- he just asked 4 or 5 of those, not all of them

All this must have taken about 5. He did not even ask to see the pictures. Then he said I am convinced that your marriage is real and I am ready to approve you now. He took my wife’s EAD, Adv Parole. He cancelled her H1B visa (Put a cross mark with marker pen, with a notation “C w/o P” which I think means cancelled without prejudice and signed it). He then stamped the passport and signed it. He then went out of the room for 5 min to put a seal impression on top of the stamp. When he returned, I asked him to confirm if the GC will be unconditional, he said yes. He said we would get the Physical GC in 7 to 10 days.

That’s it. After usual pleasantries, we were out of the USCIS office at 11.22am. So, overall we were in the USCIS office for about an hour. Thanks You USCIS.

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone of this forum for sharing their experiences. I am not sure I would have been able to complete the GC process/paperwork myself without the help of all the information available on this forum. Good luck to you all.

My Timeline
=============================================
District Office: Mount Laurel, NJ
(I-130, I-485, I-325, I-693, I-864, I-765, I-131)
Day 00, 04/27/2009 Mailed applications via USPS Priority Mail
Day 02, 04/29/2009 Application received by USCIS
Day 09, 05/05/2009 Checks Cashed.
Day 12, 05/08/2009 NOAs received for I130, I485, I131, I765
Day 19, 05/15/2009 Received FP notice for 06/02/2009
Day 37, 06/02/2009 FP Appointment @ USCIS Elizabeth, NJ
Day 38, 06/03/2009 EAD Card Approved. Received email from CRIS (USCIS) + USCIS Website updated.
Day 38, 06/03/2009 LUD on I485. Application touched.
Day 39, 06/04/2009 LUD on I765. EAD Production Ordered.
Day 39, 06/04/2009 LUD on I131. Travel Document Approved.
Day 43, 06/08/2009 Received Advance Parole Visa (2 sets)
Day 43, 06/08/2009 Second LUD on I765. EAD Production Ordered (2nd Time)
Day 47, 06/12/2009 Received EAD Card in mail.
Day 62, 06/27/2009 Received Interview Appointment Letter
Day 101, 08/05/2009 Interview - Approved !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
chintu Pc

Hello Chintu pc: I'm so happy for your approval no more suffering and anxiety about the whole process, I wish to you and your wife the best of the best.
I'm just curious, why the examiner said that you will have the conditional and not the permanent resident since you been married with your wife for more than 2 yrs.?
My best regard:)

Mom's I-485 is approved and as per LUD welcome letter is dispatched..

Mom's I-485 is approved and as per LUD welcome letter is dispatched..

Wow..I couldn't believe my eyes when i am checking my mom's I-485 status today and I saw that Yesterday USCIS sent welcome letter ...

Thank god for smooth process...Good luck to all who are all waiting for approvals.

thanks
Vasu

Hello Chintu pc: I'm so happy for your approval no more suffering and anxiety about the whole process, I wish to you and your wife the best of the best.
I'm just curious, why the examiner said that you will have the conditional and not the permanent resident since you been married with your wife for more than 2 yrs.?
My best regard:)

Thanks babepen09.

The GC is unconditional. Sorry if my initial post gave you the impression that it was conditional.

MY case update

Hi Folks,
I have my interview in two days.Please pray for me. I'll reciprocate the same for you. The interview is around 9:00 am. As pre previous posts I read that having the interview in the morning is a good sign. I got the following items for the interview:
1) 120 pics : 45 from our wedding and the rest taken on various events like vacation to chicago, county fairs and friends birthday etc. I been told that rataining the boarding pass stubs ( from vacation),hotel bills, county fair tickets stubs will help stregthen the case. I hope it is true.
2) All the utility bills with both of our names on them.
3) Life insurance policies and health insurance cards.
4) Bank statements for joint accounts and check book.
5) My spouse and mine previous three years W-2s and tax reports.
6) My spouse last four months paystubs.
7) Letter from my spouse employer.
8) Our's birth and marriage certificates and my H1B documents.
9) The only thing missing is the lease document, as I own the home and it is on my name. Will that be a problem.
My other concern is that my spouse doesn't have a drivers license but she got a state issued photo ID. She takes the public transportation to work although I take car to work. Will that be a problem? Last but not least do I need to make a copy of all the originals in case USCIS take the originals?
Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Last but not least do I need to make a copy of all the originals in case USCIS take the originals?

Why not. The interview letter clearly states that bring photocopies of everything (at least mine did). I know that based on the interview experiences posted here by other forum members, they rarely ask for photocopies (and I am sure they have photocopying machine in the USCIS office), but it would really hurt if you are sent back home without the approval/stamp and are asked to submit the copies at a later date. So, even if there is only a 0.01% chance that the officer could ask for a photocopy, you should still carry them.

We made it!!!!

Hi Folks,
Had our interview this morning. It was 8:50 AM. We went early and soon we were called in ahead of schedule. The interview was simple.
Made to take the oath, the yes or No questions.
How did you meet?
Proof of living together?
One uncommon question he asked was, why are utilitiy bills on both names?
Any previous divorces, kids etc ?
How much do you make?
He made copies of the pictures, of flight tickets, insurance cards etc.
He also asked whether we remember which motel we stayed while on vacation?
Then he gave us the approval letter. Conditional two year. We were out in ten minutes. By the way we belong to different race and I was nervous about it and expected more questioning, but it is not so. Thanks everybody especially Johnny Cash for the help,and for those who prayed for me as I will do the same for you.
Any questions, welcome to ask and see you in I-751 forum in two years.

We got Approved

Hi Everyone,

We had our GC Interview yestarday, which went nice & smooth(better than what I expected) and we been approved.

We went in around 15-20 mins early, we were called in couple of mins before our scheduled interview time, later he asked us to follow him, there were no hi/hello or shake hand, I thought we got a serious officier(considering afternoon interview) but once we went in, everything was cool, he asked for my passport and my wife's(who is Sponsor) ID(driving license)

These were the questions asked
-What's your name(wife)
-What do you do(wife)

-Did you met your in-laws(both of us)
-How we met(both of us)
-who makes more money(both of us, but this one was a casual question)
-Are you on H1 visa(me)
-What job do you do(me)
-Your parents name(me)
-Do you have any documents( he was'nt any specific), but I gave him copies of supporting documents(marriage certificate, health & car insurance, joint account, Rental lease)

Later we showed him marriage pics, even though he did'nt specifically asked for it. He did'nt said the word "APPROVE", but he said, you will be getting a welcome letter within a week. We asked him, are you gonna stamp my passport for which, he said they are not doing it any more, as people are making fake stamps.

Over all, it looks like a nice interaction, rather than an Interview, Officier was really a cool guy. we were all done in some 15 mins.

I give all the credit to this Site, Forum and Everyone here, who directly or indirectly helped me in this process. A Huge & Heartfull Thanks to each and everyone.

I wish Goodluck to everyone in their process

Update

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

On August 12, 2009, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

Hi All,

Finally our journey is over, We got GC in mail y'day(8/13) after 2 weeks from Interview(7/29) unconditional.

Thanks for everyone on this forum for your support.

Thanks
NK

Very well organized piece of information. I am currently going through my naturalization process and I am planning to sponsor my wife's(currently on H1B) GC as soon as I become a citizen.
One question though, did you wait until you became a citizen to start your wife's GC process?

We had our interview this morning and we were approved. It was a quick and painless interview which lasted about 15 min.

First some background: I am a US Naturalized Citizen, I had petitioned for my wife, who was on H1B. We have been married for just under 6 years and have a 5 yr old child. We also jointly own the house we live in for the past 5 years. I was expecting a fairly simple interview, but was well prepared for it. I had taken the following documents with me:

1. Copy of GC application, EAD, Adv Parole, Passports etc.
  2. Original Marriage certificate and a certified copy
  3. Child’s birth certificate, Our birth certificates, Translation of My birth certificate
  4. Wife’s Paystubs (since 2003!) and employment letter (the interview letter asked for it- I know it did not apply to my case, but I carried it anyway)
  5. Wife’s old USCIS paperwork (for H1Bs etc)
  6. Tons of utility statements (3 utilities in my name, 1 in my wife’s name for over 3 yrs)
  7. My Naturalization Certificate
  8. Our house Deed
  9. Letter from my employer stating my wife is the primary beneficiary for my life insurance
  10. E-Tickets/Boarding passes from our last trip to India
  11. Picture album with about 70 pictures
  12. Health and Auto Insurance Cards
  13. Joint IT returns from 2005 onwards
  14. Joint IT Tax Transcripts from 2004 to 2007
  15. My paystubs for last 3 yrs
  16. Tons of Banks and Credit Card Statements
  17. Copies of everything above (for Utility and bank statements, I just took YTD copies)

We had a stack of paperwork about 15 inches high.

The interview was at the Mount Laurel, NJ USCIS office, which is about 35 min drive from our place. We were very familiar with the place as the place is just a couple of blocks from my wife’s work place and also I had been there in Feb 2009 for my naturalization. The Mount Laurel USCIS office is a nice, small office. The staff there is very pleasant and friendly (I could recognize a lot of faces from my oath ceremony from Feb 2009). The waiting room has big screen LCD TV playing CNN. The interview was scheduled for 10.45am, we were there by 10.20am. There were about 50 people in the waiting room when we reached there. We were called in at about 11.00am, by that time most people in the waiting room had already been called in.

The USCIS officer was a young male, seemed very pleasant. The officer ushered us into his office. After initial greeting, we were sworn in. Then the officer started reviewing our file. He asked the following questions:

1. My wife’s current status.
  2. How many children do we have
  3. He asked to see the original marriage certificate
  4. How I got my GC (before naturalization) – Employment based EB3
  5. Do we own our home
  6. He asked to see some kind of proof for that, we passed a stack of mortgage statements (last 3 yrs), he just glanced at them and returned them to us.
  7. Yes/No questions- he just asked 4 or 5 of those, not all of them

All this must have taken about 5. He did not even ask to see the pictures. Then he said I am convinced that your marriage is real and I am ready to approve you now. He took my wife’s EAD, Adv Parole. He cancelled her H1B visa (Put a cross mark with marker pen, with a notation “C w/o P” which I think means cancelled without prejudice and signed it). He then stamped the passport and signed it. He then went out of the room for 5 min to put a seal impression on top of the stamp. When he returned, I asked him to confirm if the GC will be unconditional, he said yes. He said we would get the Physical GC in 7 to 10 days.

That’s it. After usual pleasantries, we were out of the USCIS office at 11.22am. So, overall we were in the USCIS office for about an hour. Thanks You USCIS.

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone of this forum for sharing their experiences. I am not sure I would have been able to complete the GC process/paperwork myself without the help of all the information available on this forum. Good luck to you all.

My Timeline
Day 38, 06/03/2009 EAD Card Approved. Received email from CRIS (USCIS) + USCIS Website updated.

Very well organized piece of information. I am currently going through my naturalization process and I am planning to sponsor my wife's(currently on H1B) GC as soon as I become a citizen.
One question though, did you wait until you became a citizen to start your wife's GC process?
I waited to become a citizen before applying for my wife's GC. Thanks.

Unemployment benefits after GC

hello guys,
I have one question. currently i am unemployed for last 2 months. can i apply for unemployment benefit after i get my greencard by the end of this month. I was on h1b before and worked for consulting company for 8 months in the last one year. after i got my EAD card, i left my consulting company and searching job by myself but no luck.
Is applying unemployment benefit can cause any problem for my Greencard ?

punjabiguru!!

hello guys,
I have one question. currently i am unemployed for last 2 months. can i apply for unemployment benefit after i get my greencard by the end of this month. I was on h1b before and worked for consulting company for 8 months in the last one year. after i got my EAD card, i left my consulting company and searching job by myself but no luck.
Is applying unemployment benefit can cause any problem for my Greencard ?

punjabiguru!!
Applying for unemployment benefits will not create any problem for your green card because it is like a insurance your employer pays, if you loose your job, you get paid. But a person is eligible for those benefits only if they get laid off not if they get fired or quit their job.
" I am not a legal advisor, and I might be wrong,use my advice at your own risk"

let me explain you my situation. I was working for software consulting company till june. once they know that i got my EAD(work permit), they stop looking work for me...there is no communication between us.....
Please advice what should i do??

Applying for unemployment benefits will not create any problem for your green card because it is like a insurance your employer pays, if you loose your job, you get paid. But a person is eligible for those benefits only if they get laid off not if they get fired or quit their job.
" I am not a legal advisor, and I might be wrong,use my advice at your own risk"

let me explain you my situation. I was working for software consulting company till june. once they know that i got my EAD(work permit), they stop looking work for me...there is no communication between us.....
Please advice what should i do??

The decision of you getting unemployment benefits depends on whether you were laid off, got fired or you quit voluntarily irrespective of your situation. When an employee looses their job, they will receive an official termination letter with the reason of their termination. You should get it especially if you are on H1B visa. It is the law.
If the letter says that the employee quit or got fired then you will not receive any benefits. But if the letter says that you got laid off then you are eligible for benefits provided you are available for work. I believe you are not eligible for benefits either if you worked less than full time or worked less than a certain period for that employer.
" I am not a legal advisor and use my advise at your own risk"

Just had an interview thins morning @8am..
I guess it was the shortest interview ever.
we were called in 8:10am.
we got sworn in, standard yes/no questions, he asked for some documents with both of our names on them. I gave him letter from the bank, copy of our car insurance, and one more envelope with our names, he didn't even really look at it, just attached it to my file. He asked me to sign and date some paper. He said that the application is approved and I will receive GC in 2 weeks.
We were out the door at 8:12am... 2 minutes !!!!!!!!!
wow ;D

Here is the final update on my case:

Good Luck to all who are still waiting for their GCs. Thanks.

Day 103, 08/07/2009 LUD- Welcome Notice Mailed
Day 108, 08/12/2009 LUD- Card Production Ordered
Day 111, 08/15/2009 Welcome Notice and I131 Approval Received in Mail.
Day 113, 08/17/2009 LUD- Approval Notice Mailed
Day 115, 08/17/2009 GC Received in Mail.

Hi, Thought I'd share my experience at the visa office today. I had my Visa interview scheduled today and went early to the visa office. I have been living with my wife for almost two years while as a boyfriend-girfriend and finally last year we decided to get married. My wife who is a US Citizen filed for my green card recently after we got married. The interview began.

Officer: (to my wife) When did you move in with him ?
My wife : Since 2007
Officer (raising eyebrows): So you were living with him before the two of you got married.
My wife: Yes
Officer: That is very odd. This is the first time I have heard that an Indian couple was living together before they got married.

..... what could we say.

My wife has been looking for a job recently and it's not that easy to get into one these days. But the officer thought different.

Officer (To my wife): So you're not working ?
My Wife: No
Officer (To my wife): So, you mostly stay at home ?
My Wife: Yes, cooking, etc
Officer: Are you,... ummm, did you arrange that you are going to stay at home and he is going to work -- is that why you are applying for his GC ?

... Next -- I had prepared all my application papers (I-130, 485, etc) very thoroughly when I mailed my package in April, after reading suggestions on this forum and other sites and sent as much evidence as needed, even did the Acco punch on the top of the documents to file them as suggested on the INS website. But the officer thought different ....

Officer (To me): Who prepared your documents ?
I: I did
Officer: How many times have you done this before?
I (surprised): Never, ....
Officer: hmmm, (raising eyebrows),hmmm it looks like an attorney prepared your documents ... (she wasn't convinced)

---------------

And so it went. At one point she asked me what proof do you have that she lives with you. I show them the joint lease, the joint bank acct. statements, the joint income tax return, etc ... and nothing seemed to satisfy her and she kept saying, "not enough". I felt like asking what she needed, but didn't want to sound demanding, so I refrained.

What can I say ... . She told us that she will have to check with her supervisor and then she'd let us know by mail. I am preparing myself for the worst case scenario. I was on H1 before this and filed I-485 via marriage in April, when the officer heard that me and my wife was living before we got married, she got suspicious from that time on she wouldn't stop asking questions. I even showed her proofs of places we had been to while we were dating, airline receipts,... everything you can think of, but she was stuck on the fact that "Indians don't stay together before marriage". It seemed to me that telling everything truthfully was the mistake we did ?! There are so many indian couples in the US, who are boyfriend-girlfriend who live with each other and get married. Even my most conservative friend from Dharwad, from a very religious family started living with his wife once their marriage had been finalized ...

So, my question to the members on this forum is this ---

1) What happens if they reject the GC Application? Do I have any recourse ?
2) I have been working at a big well-known company as a full-time employee for almost 5 years... they know that I am currently on EAD -- Does the EAD stay valid if the reject my GC ? When do I have to tell my employer about this ?
3) Has anyone else experienced a similar situation ? Can you please share your experience if you did ... .

Thanks,

- Nataraj.

Hi, Thought I'd share my experience at the visa office today. I had my Visa interview scheduled today and went early to the visa office. I have been living with my wife for almost two years while as a boyfriend-girfriend and finally last year we decided to get married. My wife who is a US Citizen filed for my green card recently after we got married. The interview began.

Officer: (to my wife) When did you move in with him ?
My wife : Since 2007
Officer (raising eyebrows): So you were living with him before the two of you got married.
My wife: Yes
Officer: That is very odd. This is the first time I have heard that an Indian couple was living together before they got married.

..... what could we say.

My wife has been looking for a job recently and it's not that easy to get into one these days. But the officer thought different.

Officer (To my wife): So you're not working ?
My Wife: No
Officer (To my wife): So, you mostly stay at home ?
My Wife: Yes, cooking, etc
Officer: Are you,... ummm, did you arrange that you are going to stay at home and he is going to work -- is that why you are applying for his GC ?

... Next -- I had prepared all my application papers (I-130, 485, etc) very thoroughly when I mailed my package in April, after reading suggestions on this forum and other sites and sent as much evidence as needed, even did the Acco punch on the top of the documents to file them as suggested on the INS website. But the officer thought different ....

Officer (To me): Who prepared your documents ?
I: I did
Officer: How many times have you done this before?
I (surprised): Never, ....
Officer: hmmm, (raising eyebrows),hmmm it looks like an attorney prepared your documents ... (she wasn't convinced)

---------------

And so it went. At one point she asked me what proof do you have that she lives with you. I show them the joint lease, the joint bank acct. statements, the joint income tax return, etc ... and nothing seemed to satisfy her and she kept saying, "not enough". I felt like asking what she needed, but didn't want to sound demanding, so I refrained.

What can I say ... . She told us that she will have to check with her supervisor and then she'd let us know by mail. I am preparing myself for the worst case scenario. I was on H1 before this and filed I-485 via marriage in April, when the officer heard that me and my wife was living before we got married, she got suspicious from that time on she wouldn't stop asking questions. I even showed her proofs of places we had been to while we were dating, airline receipts,... everything you can think of, but she was stuck on the fact that "Indians don't stay together before marriage". It seemed to me that telling everything truthfully was the mistake we did ?! There are so many indian couples in the US, who are boyfriend-girlfriend who live with each other and get married. Even my most conservative friend from Dharwad, from a very religious family started living with his wife once their marriage had been finalized ...

So, my question to the members on this forum is this ---

1) What happens if they reject the GC Application? Do I have any recourse ?
2) I have been working at a big well-known company as a full-time employee for almost 5 years... they know that I am currently on EAD -- Does the EAD stay valid if the reject my GC ? When do I have to tell my employer about this ?
3) Has anyone else experienced a similar situation ? Can you please share your experience if you did ... .

Thanks,

- Nataraj.

Hi Nataraj,
Sorry for your bad experience at the interview, lets hope that they approve it. Judging a persons living style based on their race was unprofessional on the part of the IO, but we can't complain about it.
1) In the worst case, you might be called for a stokes interview for which you need to prepare well. You might need to hire an attorney.
2) If you are on H1B and still working for the same company, never used the EAD nor the AP, your H1B status will not be affected. You shouldn't have told your employer anything about the GC process but since you already told him about it, wait for the response from USCIS. lets all hope that it'll be a welcome letter.
" I am not a legal advisor, use my advice at your own risk"