April 2009, Filers, Post here

Hello Everybody:

Here are some do and don't for the Interview, pls start to be ready, do not wait until the last time to gather all the documents and just have faith. when you are in from of the examiner you are the one who have to convince him that your marriage is in good faith, remember You future is in your hand.

Immigration Interview Do's and Don'ts
Many, but not all, immigration procedures require an interview with an official from the Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Being prepared and not arousing suspicion will make the USCIS interview as pleasant as possible. The tenor of each interview will depend on the personality of the USCIS official with whom you meet, so it is almost impossible to be entirely prepared. It is important to remember, however, that it is the USCIS official's job to determine whether there is anything about your background or present circumstances that preclude you from obtaining the immigration status you desire -- the officer does not have anything against you personally.

THE DOs

DO prepare for the meeting. Bring copies all of your forms and all your document originals. You should be able to respond to questions about your forms without extensive referencing and confusion.
DO be prepared to answer personal questions if you are at an interview related to your marriage to a U.S. citizen.
DO follow the directions of the USCIS officer. If the officer wants to interview you and your spouse separately, that is perfectly appropriate.
DO listen carefully and answer only the question that the officer asks you. ( DO NOT VOLUNTEER THE ANSWER) HE WILL ASK FOR MORE
DO bring an interpreter with you if you do not understand English.
DO dress appropriately for the occasion. This is an important meeting for you, and a good impression can't hurt.
DO remain calm. If you don't understand the question, ask the officer to rephrase it. If you really do not know the answer to a question, it is better to admit ignorance than make something up. It also helps to be prepared. If you know there is a part of your application that will raise suspicion, practice a truthful response.
DO show up on time. USCIS officers are notoriously difficult to reach and requests for changes in interview times are not well received. If you fail to show up for your appointment, you may have to endure a lengthy process to get another interview.
DO hire an attorney to accompany you if the thought of going through an interview alone is too overwhelming.
Immigration Interview Do's and Don'ts

THE DON'Ts

DON'T joke around with the USCIS officer. In particular, avoid joking or sarcasm related to drug dealing, communicable diseases, bigamy, or smuggling people into the country.
DON'T argue with your spouse or other family members in the middle of an interview. Agree before hand on what you will do if a disagreement arises during the interview.
DON'T argue with the USCIS officer. If the USCIS officer says part of your application is incomplete, ask for an explanation and attempt to remedy the situation by using the documents and forms you have brought with you.
DON'T lose your patience with the USCIS officer and refuse to answer questions. Questions that may seem inappropriate or unimportant to you are probably within the boundaries of what is allowed by USCIS policy. Just remember what the pay off is for going through with the interview.
DON'T lie to the USCIS officer. If you feel you have something that would be difficult to explain, hire an attorney. Your attorney should be able to defuse difficult situations during an interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey babepen..

You are wonderful!!!

and a good news for me- I got a LUD saying AP approved and EAD Card Ordered :) hu hu.. after that looooooong wait.

Green Card Approved

Hello everyone,

I am proud to announce that I was approved for my Conditional Green Card at my interview yesterday.

Our interview was at 11:00 a.m. at the DO in Pittsburgh, PA. Luckily for us, we only live about 20 minutes away from the office so travel was not a big deal. We got in just after 10:00 and the guard there said we were too early and to just wait in the first lobby. About 10:30, he let us go up to the 2nd floor to wait in the actual waiting room where there was about 5 other couples.

We get called in promptly at 11:00 am by a short, stalky IO named Todd something who greeted us and was already showing signs of being a nice officer. He leads us into his office where he has us do the oath / swear us in and we sat down. He introduced himself and said that he would be asking us some questions which is standard procedure to complete the process and then asked for our id's (wife's driver license, my Passport). At this point we did about 4 minutes of general talk about where we lived, a trip the IO took from Maryland to Alaska which was kinda cool story actually, the area we lived in and how the IO officer was going to live there etc. At this point we were already very comfortable with the IO and saw that he was a nice guy.

He then asked us a few questions like how and when did we meet, what our occupations were, asked me if I was in the engineering field since I arrived in the US on TN status since 2005 to which I said yes. That was really all for the initial questions.

He then asked for our proofs of our life together so I busted out the huge folder of original documents showing our life together. I pulled out the following:

* Verizon bill for our cell phone plan in both our names
* My life insurance showing my wife (USC) as the primary beneficiary
* Our joint car insurance policy
* Our wedding program showing our names, her brothers as groomsmen, our parents in attendance
* Her brother got married last Saturday to which we were in the wedding party, so I brought her brothers wedding program to show this.

At this point my wife intervened and told the IO that we had our wedding album which he was interested in and started looking through every page cause he was quite interested. During certain photos I would point out that this pic showed my parents, my sister who had flown in a couple thousand miles from BC for our wedding (which he was really interested in that fact), my wife's parents. He asked "who's this" and my wife answered "my moms cousins". We then brought out another photo album (which we mentioned to the IO) was an album showcasing our life together in a chronological fashion which we had set up on the table at our wedding. These photos included events we went to (Steelers games, Pens games, Kenny Chesney concert, social gatherings etc). We finally brought out our wedding guest list book but he didn't look at that. He asked if he has a mortgage for the house we live in. My wife said yes but it's in her name only, since we did not live together prior to marriage (Catholic faith forbids co habitation before marriage) and since my wife did most of the dealings with the house, we put it in her name and have not yet got around to adding mine to the house yet. The IO was alright with that response and so we moved on to the next part.

Now came the questions from the I-130. I was asked the following:

* What my wife's birthday is
* The city she was born in
* Date of our wedding
* Current residence

My wife was asked:

* Where we had our wedding (she answered the church and venue but the IO meant city, so my wife corrected that).
* My birthday
* City I was born in (she gave the city I lived in by accident, the IO looked at her for a sec and she corrected it and that was fine).

And that was it. He then asked the "No" questions and let me tell you, it's hard not to laugh at this point but I held it in. he was asking these in a comical fashion like "Are you a communist, are you a spy, are you holding a US child outside the US, hah like you would tell me if you were right" but he was being nice about it.

He concluded by saying "well that's it really, I am recommending you for approval" and then explained about removing the conditions via I-751, applying for citizenship after 3 years. He told me I would be getting the approval notice within the week and the actual green card within 2. I asked if they do stamps in the passport to which he said no since the card comes fairly quickly nowadays. He asked for my EAD, my AP copies and I asked if he needed my I-94's (I had three of them on me) he said sure and then took them.

So that's it ladies and gents. I am approved, the interview took 15 minutes and was a very pleasant experience. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible so people can read and learn from this experience just like I have learned from others. Good luck to those of you with upcoming interviews. Just relax, be prepared with your documents and be truthful.

CJ

A couple of miscellaneous things I would like to mention. In addition to about 5 photo albums, I had brought all sorts of folders with our proofs and things about 8 inches thick which we only needed a fraction of what I brought (the proofs of relationship and that's all we needed).

Folders:

* Originals of supporting documents sent to USCIS when I sent my AOS package back in April
* Copy of all the forms and supporting documents I sent to USCIS (basically an exact replica of my AOS package) - USCIS Copy, in case they wanted it.
* Copy of all the forms and supporting documents I sent to USCIS (basically an exact replica of my AOS package) - My Copy for my records
* Copy of supporting evidence of bona fide relationship for the interview - USCIS Copy
> Joint assets / bills
> Thank you cards from our wedding
> Xmas cards from me & my wife
> Our wedding program & her brothers wedding program
> Card from her brother thanking me for being in the wedding
> Emails between us re: wedding planning, honeymoon
> Facebook inbox messages between me & my friends asking for their address so I can send an invite to our wedding.
> Cell phone log of calls between us (pre and post marriage)
> Email from my sister to me saying to thank my wife for flowers she sent my mom back in 2006

* Copy of supporting evidence of bona fide relationship for the interview - My Copy, same content as above
* Originals of supporting evidence of bona fide relationship for the interview - My Copy, same content as above only originals
* Copy of USCIS issued correspondence / documents - USCIS Copy
> All AOS notices
> Passport stamps with TN status
> Current & previous I-94's
* Copy of USCIS issued correspondence / documents - My Copy
* Originals of USCIS issued correspondence / documents - My Copy (except for I-485 interview letter which I gave at the desk)

The IO didn't keep any originals and didn't want any of the copies so I got to keep all my folders. I certainly was way over prepared but hey, better safe than sorry right.

CJ

Congratulation, Canadian John: I'm really happy for you after all this wainting time now you need to celebrate. You did a great job.

Thank you for all the details about your interview that an awsome job that you did.
Pls keep posting, and I want to heard the rest of the April filers with good news, pls keep Posting.

Canadian John, Oner more time, COGRATULATION ,, now enjoy your green card. tell your wife she also did a great job. smile

A couple of miscellaneous things I would like to mention. In addition to about 5 photo albums, I had brought all sorts of folders with our proofs and things about 8 inches thick which we only needed a fraction of what I brought (the proofs of relationship and that's all we needed).

Folders:

* Originals of supporting documents sent to USCIS when I sent my AOS package back in April
* Copy of all the forms and supporting documents I sent to USCIS (basically an exact replica of my AOS package) - USCIS Copy, in case they wanted it.
* Copy of all the forms and supporting documents I sent to USCIS (basically an exact replica of my AOS package) - My Copy for my records
* Copy of supporting evidence of bona fide relationship for the interview - USCIS Copy
> Joint assets / bills
> Thank you cards from our wedding
> Xmas cards from me & my wife
> Our wedding program & her brothers wedding program
> Card from her brother thanking me for being in the wedding
> Emails between us re: wedding planning, honeymoon
> Facebook inbox messages between me & my friends asking for their address so I can send an invite to our wedding.
> Cell phone log of calls between us (pre and post marriage)
> Email from my sister to me saying to thank my wife for flowers she sent my mom back in 2006

* Copy of supporting evidence of bona fide relationship for the interview - My Copy, same content as above
* Originals of supporting evidence of bona fide relationship for the interview - My Copy, same content as above only originals
* Copy of USCIS issued correspondence / documents - USCIS Copy
> All AOS notices
> Passport stamps with TN status
> Current & previous I-94's
* Copy of USCIS issued correspondence / documents - My Copy
* Originals of USCIS issued correspondence / documents - My Copy (except for I-485 interview letter which I gave at the desk)

The IO didn't keep any originals and didn't want any of the copies so I got to keep all my folders. I certainly was way over prepared but hey, better safe than sorry right.

CJ

Congratulations and thank you for the valuable information. I really needed this for my interview. The documents I got are, my wedding album, pics from our recent trip, copy of flight ticket and hotel bill where we stayed, utility bills on both of our names, joint bank statements, joint credit card bills, life insurance taken on my name, health insurance for both of us ,my spouse previous two years tax information and W2s. I couldn't get the lease because I own the home and I got proof of it. I hope it is sufficient. BY the way we will be getting the proof of employment from my spouse employer and last pay stubs.
I know I am not suppose to submit documents volunteerly but will it make my case stronger if I take my Tax returns and W2s too. My spouse makes way more than enough to support me but I make double of what she makes.
Babepen, congratulations and thank you for your valuable information of DO's and Don't s. I really appreciate it.

Thank you guys for the support and you are very welcome, I am glad to be able to post my experience for everybody in here. My wife did very well at the interview, she is extremely happy to have me here permanently now haha.

Right after we left the parking lot we started making calls to our families giving the good news. Since I had taken the day off work and was done and out of the USCIS office by 11:30, we decided to drive downtown Pittsburgh to the hard Rock Cafe (one of my favorite places to eat), which isn't too far from USCIS, and had lunch there and ran some errands.

Oh one little note also, as you can see in my timeline I have been here on TN status since 2005 (the IO looked at my TN passport stamps and saw them). Nothing was EVER mentioned in the interview about "Immigrant Intent" or "Preconceived intent on TN" or anything like that so all good there. Now, I am not saying that future TN applicants go apply for the TN and get married the day after to a USC and apply for permanent residency, i'm just saying that nothing was mentioned about it at the interview.

Hello everyone,

I am proud to announce that I was approved for my Conditional Green Card at my interview yesterday.

CJ

Congarts Canadian John, if I am not wrong, you seems to be first one who had interview from April filer, so you gave a good start for us. Its optimistic for rest of us. Thanks for detail information about your interview, it will really help others.

hello April Filers: I haven't heard any news from you guys, any update, any Interviews? pls keep posting. and good luck in your Interviews.

Hello Folks and happy weekend, any update in any cases, no interview coming soon?, pls give us an update of how your cases are doing so far.

Green Card Approval

02/25/09 AOS Applications Sent
03/03/09 AOS Applications Received
03/12/09 Received NOA's
03/28/09 Biometrics Appointment Done
04/15/09 RFE Notice Received
04/17/09 Additional Evidence Sent (W-2's)
06/19/09 Interview Notice Received (Interview Date 07/22/09)
06/24/09 EAD Card Production Ordered
06/30/09 EAD Card Received
07/22/09 Interview Day (Green Card Approved) :)
07/25/09 Welcome Letter Received

AOS INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE

Me and my Wife had an appointment at Louisville Ky for the scheduled interview at 10:30am.

My Wife was called in First and grilled for about 15 mins mainly about how we met...what my status was when we met...why we didn't get married in a church.We had got married by a Judge with only six witnesses.

I was called in Swore in and the Grilling resumed.Questions were:

-What is your Name?
-What are your Parents First Names?
-Where were you born?
-Where did you meet?
-When did you propose?
-Yes and No 1-485 Questions

I was arrested so I had to explain it.It was a DUI case which was dismissed.
I allowed a driver to drive my car when they were drunk so I was responsible and I got arrested for it.

After 10 more Mins....I got approved.

Just waiting for my Green Card.

No Updates Online So Far but I have already received a Welcome Letter :)

Mr. E.

wow that was a very smooth Interview, and Congratulations in your Green Card, and welcome to the USA, that awsome, I bet you were so nervous at the interview, but it worth it to make all that efford. Once again Congrat! :)

Friday, July 24, 2009 I got my NOA's for my I-485 and I-130 showing the approval of these forms. Should be getting my actual Green Card sometime by the end of this week. Numerous LUD's for my I-485 have appeared online, probably for the mailing of the GC. On another note, although I received my physical I-130 approval notice, the uscis.gov site still shows my I-130 as "Received and Pending".

Goes to show you that the case status online isn't always reliable. My I-130 didn't even show up online until the day after my interview.

Hey everyone,

A nice little update. I have finally received my Green Card in the mail yesterday along with the "Welcome To America" pamphlet thingy and the little protective envelope for my green card. My wife and I were very excited to see it arrive yesterday and I am already starting to carry it on me in the little protective sleeve.

CJ

Hi Everyone,

We had Interview this morning at 8AM in Baltimore,MD and got APPROVED :)

IO was very nice and other than standard Questions from Application, She asked me how and when I met my wife and scanned through our Wedding Album and asked few Questions.

She approved and recommened for her supervisor review and Approval.

Thanks everyone for your support and help and this forums helped us navigate this process.

Thanks

Congratulations nk. The 2nd April 2009 filer to get their approval if i'm not mistaken. Glad to hear the interview went smooth. If your post interview timeline is anything similar to mine, you should be getting your I-485 & I-130 NOA approval letters within 1 week and your actual green card within 2 weeks. Keep us posted.

CJ

Thanks Canadian_John, Looks like I am running into some issue. Our case got update last night and it says "Interview completed, but case under review" and they touched again case today and status is same.
IO did stamp as "APPROVED" on both I485 & I130 application infront of us and told it is Approved and that her supervisor will review and approve by end of day. She didn't even take EAD/AP and when I offered she said just give xerox copies and you will get green card anywhere between 2weeks to couple of weeks and wait for 90days and take Infopass if it doesn't come within 90 days.

not sure what is going on and only option is wait and watch ..

Thanks

Hello April filers, I really happy and suprise that we are getting into the end with good news, Canadian John, I really want to congratute you once again for your green card. and also to NK487289, don't worried, soon you will heard the good news in the mail pls keep positive. and what about the rest of the April Filers any news, any new interview, pls keep posting nd update your cases. let's support each other.

Wow..good news I-130 is approved

Just now I saw uscis website and happy news is I-130 was approved yesterday and hopefully 485 will be approved soon.

Thanks
Vasu

Hey April filers, just though i would let you all know that all the March filers have now had a least an interview letter, so it shouldn't be long till you all have at least an Interview letter.