Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Obviously no one can guess about retributions from USCIS for filing WOM. They don't really care about getting back at you for GCs.

Thanks AGC4ME. What do u mean by this? Could you please elaborate?

I just want to know if my WOM filing will have an adverse impact on my I-485? Will it be like an expedite request or an SR? Only this time I am approaching a Judge. My worry is that because I filed WOM, USCIS should not come with some stupid RFE and then deny I-485. Are there such instances?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AGC4ME. What do u mean by this? Could you please elaborate?

I just want to know if my WOM filing will have an adverse impact on my I-485? Will it be like an expedite request or an SR? Only this time I am approaching a Judge. My worry is that because I filed WOM, USCIS should not come with some stupid RFE and then deny I-485. Are there such instances?

Filing a WOM doesn't ensure automatic expedite or SR. The AUSA will try to get your case dismissed and only after he fails and the Judge instructs him to make sure your case is adjudicated within x days will they write the check for "expedited name check". If you GC is based on employment USCIS doesn't have much by way of rejecting your 485 as sort of punishing you for filing WOM. If yours is a marriage based GC then they can deny your 485 based on your marriage not being in good faith grounds. I couldn't think of any case where 485 was denied because the applicant filed WOM.

AOS victory in Kentucky (6th Circuit)

GUILIANG TANG v. Chertoff, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 64022
"[T]he defendants' alleged failure to take timely action on the plaintiffs' application is not itself a decision, let alone a
discretionary decision, but rather unreasonable inaction, which is the proper subject of mandamus relief."

lazycis,

i live in detroit michigan , i passed my citizenship test on june 18 2007 and until this date i didnt hear nthing from uscis claiming that they are still waiting for my A file to transfer from Nebraska.

i contacted senator and his liason said that they have all the files and my case is with an IO for final adjuction.

what are my chances of winning by filing a 1447b in michigan eastern district if 120 days have passed and i didnt hear nothing about oath or my case.

do u know a good attorney in michigan that can file for me?

i went to 2 infopasses and they gave me same answer still waiting on A file to transfer.

my name check cleared , so name check isnt an issue. i am a female of arab descent , do u think that could be reason of delay, ive never been in trouble with the law or anything of that sort.

i see here that u r well informed of things of that sort, please help me make a deciosn ur input is greatly appreciated.

USCIS has changed thie INFOPASS policy. Now you cannot get an appointment to enquire about the status of your Name Check anymore. YOU can only set up appointments based on 4 criteria for pending cases, and routine enquiry is not one of them.
Things are becoming more miserable.

lazycis,

i live in detroit michigan , i passed my citizenship test on june 18 2007 and until this date i didnt hear nthing from uscis claiming that they are still waiting for my A file to transfer from Nebraska.

i contacted senator and his liason said that they have all the files and my case is with an IO for final adjuction.

what are my chances of winning by filing a 1447b in michigan eastern district if 120 days have passed and i didnt hear nothing about oath or my case.

do u know a good attorney in michigan that can file for me?

i went to 2 infopasses and they gave me same answer still waiting on A file to transfer.

my name check cleared , so name check isnt an issue. i am a female of arab descent , do u think that could be reason of delay, ive never been in trouble with the law or anything of that sort.

i see here that u r well informed of things of that sort, please help me make a deciosn ur input is greatly appreciated.

Although the question is addressed to Lazycis, I can provide some input.
In E.D.Mich for 1447b judges ususlly deny motion to dismiss (retain jurisdiction) but grant the motion to remand to USCIS for completion 120 days after the name check is done.
I assume you have passed the exam on June 18, 2006, not 2007

Interesting. I thought once a lawsuit is filed CIS has no jurisdiction on naturalization petitions at all. Why doesn't the federal judge not realize it. Frankly after reading this case's docket I have lost all interest in the citizenship of this country.
I think this guy either has something to hide or is too much scared and distrustful of USCIS. If he hasn't done anything wrong, he should have agreed to the videa taped interview. Something is not right about this case.

Although the question is addressed to Lazycis, I can provide some input.
In E.D.Mich for 1447b judges ususlly deny motion to dismiss (retain jurisdiction) but grant the motion to remand to USCIS for completion 120 days after the name check is done.
I assume you have passed the exam on June 18, 2006, not 2007

worried2007,
I've seen two 1447b cases in your district and they were resolved in plaintiff's favor, as Slow_CIS noted. So your chances to prevail are good.
Check this case filed in your district for a sample complaint: 2:06-cv-14816.
You can do it Pro Se. I do not have referrals for immigration attorneys in your district. You can use a lawyer search from Lexis.
http://www.martindale.com/Immigration/130-LL2/countries.html
Check this link for immigration law firms in Troy, MI: http://www.martindale.com/Immigration/Michigan/Troy/1426-LL2/firms.html
You can file a lawsuit anytime after September 18th.

I think this guy either has something to hide or is too much scared and distrustful of USCIS. If he hasn't done anything wrong, he should have agreed to the videa taped interview. Something is not right about this case.

I disagree. His points are valid. USCIS conducted an examination some years ago. It sat on his application. He filed a law suit. Jurisdiction is now with the court. Court erroneously remanded it back to USCIS. USCIS cannot conduct another examination, it doesn't have rights to pass judgments on his tax returns. Just because USCIS confers naturalization doesn't mean petitioners have to dance to its tunes. That's an abuse of power. It seems more like a retribution than a genuine case of fact finding. Why did not USCIS ask for the same papers and video taped interview before he filed the law suit ?

I disagree. His points are valid. USCIS conducted an examination some years ago. It sat on his application. He filed a law suit. Jurisdiction is now with the court. Court erroneously remanded it back to USCIS. USCIS cannot conduct another examination, it doesn't have rights to pass judgments on his tax returns. Just because USCIS confers naturalization doesn't mean petitioners have to dance to its tunes. That's an abuse of power. It seems more like a retribution than a genuine case of fact finding. Why did not USCIS ask for the same papers and video taped interview before he filed the law suit ?

I concurr with you. Mahd questioned USCIS authority to conduct the second interview and they did not provide him an answer. He showed up for an appointments and submitted requested docs. USCIS supposed to have access to DHS database regarding his travel records. I am sure Mahd will win his appeal, if he still wants to become a citizen after all this.

favarable 1447b in E.D. Mich

worried2007,
Today there is a new favorable opinion out in a 1447b case where the chief judge denied motion to dismiss and remand. He ordered completion of the name check within two months.
Last month the same judge granted MTD in an I485 case which was pending more than 50 month and issued a very harsh opinion. Seems the E.D. Mich is pretty good for Naturalization and very terrible for AOS cases.

Hi,

I filed N-400 in TSC last year and it’s sitting there without any interview for 11 months. I’m planning to move to Michigan (NSC) and was wondering to know that can I make a request of moving my file to MI? Please advice….

my name check is complete

worried2007,
Today there is a new favorable opinion out in a 1447b case where the chief judge denied motion to dismiss and remand. He ordered completion of the name check within two months.
Last month the same judge granted MTD in an I485 case which was pending more than 50 month and issued a very harsh opinion. Seems the E.D. Mich is pretty good for Naturalization and very terrible for AOS cases.

cis,

my name check has been completed and yes it was june 18 2007 this year but uscis is saying that my Alien file didnt transfer from nebraska and thats why they can adjucate my case.

Name Check procedures in the case of delay and how Gov't regulate them

Hi OLKO,

Thanks for your support. what do you mean by "latest consideration of lazyCIS that FBI violated procedures of delay"? Is there any memo or ruling that shows FBI's violation? My FOIPA shows no records by the way.

One more question, do you have any suggestion for a good attorney (in Maryland) for this case? I am going to get an attorney for my case to prepare the MTD. I have already talked to one but if you have any suggestion, please let me know.

Part I. FBI Name Check procedures in the case of delay. The best I saw as was digged by LazyCIS
8 CFR 103.2(b)(18) defines conditions under which the adjudication may be withheld pending investigation (18) Withholding adjudication.
A district director may authorize withholding adjudication of a visa petition or other application if the district director determines that an investigation has been undertaken involving a matter relating to eligibility or the exercise of discretion, where applicable, in connection with the application or petition, and that the disclosure of information to the applicant or petitioner in connection with the adjudication of the application or petition would prejudice the ongoing investigation.
If an investigation has been undertaken and has not been completed within one year of its inception, the district director shall review the matter and determine whether adjudication of the petition or application should be held in abeyance for six months or until the investigation is completed, whichever comes sooner. If, after six months of the district director’s determination, the investigation has not been completed, the matter shall be reviewed again by the district director and, if he/she concludes that more time is needed to complete the investigation, adjudication may be held in abeyance for up to another six months. If the investigation is not completed at the end of that time, the matter shall be referred to the regional commissioner, who may authorize that adjudication be held in abeyance for another six months. Thereafter, if the Associate Commissioner, Examinations, with the concurrence of the Associate Commissioner, Enforcement, determines it is necessary to continue to withhold adjudication pending completion of the investigation, he/she shall review that determination every six months.

Therefore, if you application is pending more than 1 year, the USCIS should present the evidence that the district director reviewed your application. If it is pending more then 2 years, it should've been reviewed by the regional commissioner. If it is pending more than 2.5 years, it should've been reviewed by the Associate Commissioner, Examinations, with the concurrence of the Associate Commissioner, Enforcement. If it was not done, the USCIS "unlawfully withheld" adjudication.

Further, 8 CFR 103.2(b)(18) confirms non-discretionary duty to process an application:
(19) Notification. An applicant or petitioner shall be sent a written decision on his or her application, petition, motion, or appeal.

Part II. How congress intended to regulate FBI (again from LazyCIS)
To counter the argument that Congress gave the AG unlimited power over AOS applications and that Congress did not intend to impose any deadlines for AOS processing, I find that Chapter 13, Subchapter II is very useful.
Not only Congress expressed its intention in 1571(b) that "It is the sense of Congress that the processing of an immigration benefit application should be completed not later than 180 days after the initial filing of the application", but
- 1572(2) says that "The term “immigration benefit application” means any application or petition to confer, certify, change, adjust, or extend any status granted under the Immigration and Nationality Act"
- 1573 (a) Authority of the Attorney General:
The Attorney General shall take such measures as may be necessary to—
(1) reduce the backlog in the processing of immigration benefit applications, with the objective of the total elimination of the backlog 1 year after November 25, 2002;
(2) make such other improvements in the processing of immigration benefit applications as may be necessary to ensure that a backlog does not develop after such date; and
(3) make such improvements in infrastructure as may be necessary to effectively provide immigration services.
- 1574(b)(2)(C)(i) - subparagraph "Annual reports" specifically includes AOS:
(C) a status report on—
(i) applications for adjustments of status to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence;
- 1574(b)(2)(B)(iii) - annual report should include (this relates to AOS and other applications)
(iii) the number of applications or petitions pending for up to 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 24 months, 36 months, and 48 months or more;
(confirming implicitly 180 days as intended processing time)

So clearly it was not Congress intention for application to linger significantly longer than 6 months.

(Standard disclaimer- I am not a lawyer so I do not know how this wording can/maybe interpreted by court and whether these laws are current)

Part III Good lawyer in Maryland
(Answering the last question of GC-pending)
Maybe www.murthy.com (this site has 410- area code number) ?
The website publish a lot of useful info on immigration.

I strongly reccomend to register through pacer and review other people
cases throughout US in category "Other Statutory Actions"- this is where
WoM are published. Even if you hire a lawyer (which is typically beneficial)
you should still read about other similar cases and suggest them to your lawyer.

Some cons with lawyers.
Your lawyer (after you pay him) will almost instantly become
unreachable and rarely return your phone calls.
When (s)he returns- (s)he always say that everything is going as needed
and you just have to be patient.

Many immigration attorneys are not fully familiar with new tricks
pulled on us by USCIS/FBI duo.
For example, my attorney filed WoM without inclusion of FBI first.
The defense later told him that USCIS is not a responsible party for delay.
Bummer!!!
List of defendant is very important to start with (see discussion in this forum about who must be included).

Immigration lawyers who practice immigration law all thier life still can make mistake in your WoM because they rarely considered such cases in the past.
This process is new for them as it is for us.

Reason is that the category of people whose status is niether on visa nor PR
is relatively new. This category (let's call it AOS, we also can call it "in-limbo" or "INL") created artificially by FBI/USCIS relatively recently (on historical scale).

In all previous years of American history AoS category was transient.
Now it is our lives.

slow cis

worried2007,

how can you know whos the immigartion attorney for the case today that u send me the link to , i dont have pacer and i would love to know who represented chebli in his case .

u can email me at ghinwa81@comcast.net

Hi, guys, I need some suggestions on my case.

AOS WOM filed June 14, 2007, we had a status hearing already. The US Attoney would like to go with the magistrate judge, I agreed. Then the new judge set up another hearing , which will be on Sep. 17. So far the US attorney didn't file anything yet. Since it has been 60 days since he is served. should he answer with something? Since he didn't file anything yet, should i file something called motion for summary judgement?

Thanks for any input.

Vicky

name check cleared

I am glad to share this news with you that today my AUSA told me that my name check has been completed. This again confirms one more time that AUSAs are not completely powerless and that they can push FBI and USCIS to do their jobs. In my case, USCIS had refused to make an expedite request to FBI regarding my name check. The AUSA worked directly with the FBI counsel and eventually made it happen. At one point, after USCIS refused to make the expedite request for name check, my AUSA had clearly told me that he could not do anything and he would file MTD on such and such date, and my chances were minimal. I could really be pissed off at him, but I knew that he was not my enemy. He was merely doing his job. So I thanked him for all the effort that he had put in to my case (and I had sincerely thanked him). Somehow things moved again, and here I am today with a completed name check. Citizenship interview will be scheduled sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Now with this news, my stress level has not reduced though. Looking at Lazli and Mahd, who had already had their first naturalization interviews, and were asked to appear for a second interview, and both were denied naturalization, I feel more scared. I haven't even had my first naturalization interview.
So for the members of this forum who have gone thru the interview process, could you please guide me for what I need to prepare for this interview, and any suggestions what documents etc.. to take with me on the interview day.

Congratulations for NC; may I get the copy of your WOM cuz my case is the same like yours. N-400 pending for 12 months with no interview and I'm planning to file WOM later this year. Your assistance is highly appreciated. Thanks,

I am glad to share this news with you that today my AUSA told me that my name check has been completed. This again confirms one more time that AUSAs are not completely powerless and that they can push FBI and USCIS to do their jobs. In my case, USCIS had refused to make an expedite request to FBI regarding my name check. The AUSA worked directly with the FBI counsel and eventually made it happen. At one point, after USCIS refused to make the expedite request for name check, my AUSA had clearly told me that he could not do anything and he would file MTD on such and such date, and my chances were minimal. I could really be pissed off at him, but I knew that he was not my enemy. He was merely doing his job. So I thanked him for all the effort that he had put in to my case (and I had sincerely thanked him). Somehow things moved again, and here I am today with a completed name check. Citizenship interview will be scheduled sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Now with this news, my stress level has not reduced though. Looking at Lazli and Mahd, who had already had their first naturalization interviews, and were asked to appear for a second interview, and both were denied naturalization, I feel more scared. I haven't even had my first naturalization interview.
So for the members of this forum who have gone thru the interview process, could you please guide me for what I need to prepare for this interview, and any suggestions what documents etc.. to take with me on the interview day.

Congratulations for NC; may I get the copy of your WOM cuz my case is the same like yours. N-400 pending for 12 months with no interview and I'm planning to file WOM later this year. Your assistance is highly appreciated. Thanks,