Anyone been approved in Garden City, NY, recently?

mona25,marion_etka i feel your pain.
For me its been a little over a week, i know its nothing but it kills you to see that other DOs are stamping passports or at least telling the applicants what decision they have reached (i still don't know if i'm approved or not).

marion_etka, i'm also interested in learning how it goes tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

mona25, the officer who interviewed me was a very nice but professional american white male possibly of polish/slavic descend in his 50s. One distinct characteristic of him is that he had only 2 fingers on his writing hand (pinky and thumb). I know his name but i don't think its proper to write in here (maybe through private message if needed).

Actually, i think the Garden City DO must have a policy of not stamping, b/c it seems to me that all officers behave similarly. Rarely, if ever, are stamps given and people seem to wait quite long for their approval and GC.

I am under the impression that interviews are conducted mondays through thursdays and on fridays the officers catch up on their paper work. Did anyone have their interview on a Friday??? If they only process their papers on Fridays it seems like quite alot of accumulated applications from mon-thu to have only one day to look at.

Any thoughts?

Well last Sunday was 3 months for me.
Nothing has changed with this particular case. :mad:
Fortunately, I was summoned by the people at Federal Plaza concerning,
my EAD, so hopefully I can start working again, and take my mind off this mess...

jdawg9
We had the same officer then!!! Is there any way you can write me a private message with his name since you do not want to post it here?

I will keep you posted!!!

I'm not considering a congressman yet b/c i don't know whether my case has been approved or not.

I fear that contacting my congresswoman (Carolyn McCarthy) or anyone else there would play with their nerves and have some influence in the decision.

Any advise regarding interview?

I have my upcoming interview this wed (3/15) @ Garden City and based on all the discussions in this forum, it looks like most are still awaiting the final decision. It is certainly makes me very unsettled and I can already see myself waiting (god knows how long) for the decision, post interview.

I have collected all the necessary documentation requested and hope for the best. I have 3 questions, and looking for some advise:

1. Can anyone please give me any special tips/advise on how to best approach the interview?
2. At the interview does the INS officer take away the I-94 from the passport and is their any note made on the passport confirming the interview?
3. Since I frequently travel out of the country on business, can I continue to do so or would I have to stay put till the final outcome after the interview?

Thanks for any inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garden City approval lately

SaraJones said:
Has anyone's AOS been approved recently in Garden City? And did you get a stamp in the passport and have you received your GC?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I really like this forum about the USCIS in Garden City. It has supported me while "nail bittingy" waiting for my GC. I hope my case can encourage those who are still waiting for their GC.
My AOS interview was on 01/05/06 and was told by the officer to wait for the GC to arrive in between 2 wks - 3 months. I didn't get the stamp. Of course, everyone would anticipate the GC to arrive sooner than later. On 03/04/06, I received the courtesy copy of the Welcome Notice (I-797c) and it said my card will arrive within 3 weeks. Today, 03/10/06, my GC finally arrived! I hope the timeframe of my case would be somewhat a guideline for those who recently interviewed in Garden City.

i-485 (AOS) - 01/05/06
i-485 (AD) - 02/27/06
GC received - 03/10/06

jdawg9 thank you very much for the message ;)

For whatever reasons my husband and I did not go to Garden City yesterday, so unfortunately there is no update :(

Since I have my midterms coming up, I decided to "let go" of uscis for the next two weeks and rather focus on school... I will be checking this forum every day though, and if something happens, you guys will be hmmm like the 10th ones to know (sorry, but hubby and the rest of the family always go first ;) ) LOL

Anyone with update? How about those who were trying to get help from the congressman? Did you get your appointment for stamp?

What is going on?

Why is this forum so quiet?
No one receive anything?
In my case it's been 3 weeks since I attended the AOS interview and nothing is happening, no online update, no welcome letter... nothing!!!!
And I am so mad because I used to work for an immigration lawyer, I filed a few AOS petitions and all of them have their green card already. One of the couples filed their petition at the beginning of October, 2005 and I could not believe when I knew that they had their interview first that I (mine Feb 23, 2006) and they got the green card on the mail already instead I filed on March, 2005 and I still do not get anything. Also I knew another couple that filed by the same time as I, they got their interview on Feb 28, 2006 and they got their approval already.
Why do they do that? It is so unfair!!!!! :( :mad:

Mona25 said:
Why is this forum so quiet?
No one receive anything?
In my case it's been 3 weeks since I attended the AOS interview and nothing is happening, no online update, no welcome letter... nothing!!!!
And I am so mad because I used to work for an immigration lawyer, I filed a few AOS petitions and all of them have their green card already. One of the couples filed their petition at the beginning of October, 2005 and I could not believe when I knew that they had their interview first that I (mine Feb 23, 2006) and they got the green card on the mail already instead I filed on March, 2005 and I still do not get anything. Also I knew another couple that filed by the same time as I, they got their interview on Feb 28, 2006 and they got their approval already.
Why do they do that? It is so unfair!!!!! :( :mad:
there is no such thing calls fairness in USCIS, i guess sometimes they just pick up the case randomly or something drags their attention. i filed in Jan, 2004, and my interview date is april 2006, beats me!!!! i am pretty sure that i won't get stamp, but just worried how long it will take to get my greencard after i get approved. all we can do is wait, there is no short cut for this.
that scuks

GC Approved & STAMPED !!!

I just returned from my GC interview. Things could not have been any smoother :) Here is the excerpt from my experience:

We walked in to the building at 7AM (interview scheduled for 7:30AM), went through security and then we waited in the hall to be called upon. Instantly my name was called and we then walked in to another smaller waiting hall to be again seated. Waiting anxiously for the call, my name was called after 30 mts or so (time was almost at a standstill). The officer was very courteous, he introduced himself and then welcomed us into his office. Now, starts the real fun -

He asked us to take the oath and then said that he went over my paperwork and he was amused by the fact that my passport was filled with almost all types of US visas. He was satisfied with the papers and all he wanted was some joint financial documents to finish up.

He first asked for our passport and driver's license. Next, I gave him a slew of documents with joint names and he was like -" My file can only hold so much, so lets not make it too heavy". Next, he asked for some pictures (which we gave him - 2), and if we had filed for 2005 taxes. He was curious to see our huge wedding album and then started to chat with us about our ethnic wedding, who the photographer was, etc. During this whole time, he was joking with us and taking about random issues - nothing to do with what we were there for :) He continued to work on the file at the same time and then finally, I could see him take out the "APPROVED" seal, which he stamped it on my paperwork and then wrote about pending status on my passport. Oh! by the way, when he saw my passport he took away my I-94 document and tagged it with the other papers.

He finished by saying, you guys are all set, approved and you should get the card in 90 days or so but based on stories, we could expect it as early as in 10 days. Meanwhile, I then asked him since my EAD was expiring in June, should I apply for a new one, and he replied "not required, you should get the card by then". Since I have a travelling job, I went on to ask him, if I could travel and he said "no you should wait for the card" but then he mentioned if we had 1-2 hrs, we could wait in the hall and he would forward the file to an officer so that they could stamp my passport with a temporary proof. We were so ecstatic and OFCOURSE decided to stay. Within an hr, my name was called and I was given my paspport back with the "TEMPORARY GC APPROVED" seal. All in all the entire process little over 2 hrs.

The officer was so relaxed and never asked any questions WHATSOEVER, absolutely nothing pertaining to the paperwork. It was more of a conversation and waiting to see him finish up the formalities. This is the best I could have asked for.

Good luck to others who are waiting for their turn. As long as you have your paperwork in order, you should not worry. Stay calm and go with the flow.

Amherst22 said:
I just returned from my GC interview. Things could not have been any smoother :) Here is the excerpt from my experience:

We walked in to the building at 7AM (interview scheduled for 7:30AM), went through security and then we waited in the hall to be called upon. Instantly my name was called and we then walked in to another smaller waiting hall to be again seated. Waiting anxiously for the call, my name was called after 30 mts or so (time was almost at a standstill). The officer was very courteous, he introduced himself and then welcomed us into his office. Now, starts the real fun -

He asked us to take the oath and then said that he went over my paperwork and he was amused by the fact that my passport was filled with almost all types of US visas. He was satisfied with the papers and all he wanted was some joint financial documents to finish up.

He first asked for our passport and driver's license. Next, I gave him a slew of documents with joint names and he was like -" My file can only hold so much, so lets not make it too heavy". Next, he asked for some pictures (which we gave him - 2), and if we had filed for 2005 taxes. He was curious to see our huge wedding album and then started to chat with us about our ethnic wedding, who the photographer was, etc. During this whole time, he was joking with us and taking about random issues - nothing to do with what we were there for :) He continued to work on the file at the same time and then finally, I could see him take out the "APPROVED" seal, which he stamped it on my paperwork and then wrote about pending status on my passport. Oh! by the way, when he saw my passport he took away my I-94 document and tagged it with the other papers.

He finished by saying, you guys are all set, approved and you should get the card in 90 days or so but based on stories, we could expect it as early as in 10 days. Meanwhile, I then asked him since my EAD was expiring in June, should I apply for a new one, and he replied "not required, you should get the card by then". Since I have a travelling job, I went on to ask him, if I could travel and he said "no you should wait for the card" but then he mentioned if we had 1-2 hrs, we could wait in the hall and he would forward the file to an officer so that they could stamp my passport with a temporary proof. We were so ecstatic and OFCOURSE decided to stay. Within an hr, my name was called and I was given my paspport back with the "TEMPORARY GC APPROVED" seal. All in all the entire process little over 2 hrs.

The officer was so relaxed and never asked any questions WHATSOEVER, absolutely nothing pertaining to the paperwork. It was more of a conversation and waiting to see him finish up the formalities. This is the best I could have asked for.

Good luck to others who are waiting for their turn. As long as you have your paperwork in order, you should not worry. Stay calm and go with the flow.
woo. good experiences, mine is set for april, i defintiely will ask for a stamp. hehe

Congrats Amherst22

Congratulations :)
I guess the GC taboo of not stamping passports is not written in stone. I guess this is only valid for marriage based petitions since the Visa number is always available. For us that filed family/relative based, we still need to wait longer for response from the National Visa Center.
Good to hear that your experience went well.
I wonder if we had the same officer.

jdawg9 said:
Congratulations :)
I guess the GC taboo of not stamping passports is not written in stone. I guess this is only valid for marriage based petitions since the Visa number is always available. For us that filed family/relative based, we still need to wait longer for response from the National Visa Center.
Good to hear that your experience went well.
I wonder if we had the same officer.

Were the initials DP?

Frustated

Today is exactly 3 weeks that I had the AOS interview and no signals from USCIS.
I am gonna go mad! It is been 7 years and some months that I don't see my parents and sister.
I called to the 800 number for nothing, they do not give much information, tried to call to Garden City and a machine tells you that if you want to know the status of an interview you have to send a letter addressed to the official who did the interview.
What is the longest that some people in the forum it's been waiting for the card or welcome letter?
I am so frustated!
Cannot concentrate on my job, I promise my parents that I was going to see them eather March or April and I don't see that happening, is like I lost hope! :(

Mona25 said:
Today is exactly 3 weeks that I had the AOS interview and no signals from USCIS.
I am gonna go mad! It is been 7 years and some months that I don't see my parents and sister.
I called to the 800 number for nothing, they do not give much information, tried to call to Garden City and a machine tells you that if you want to know the status of an interview you have to send a letter addressed to the official who did the interview.
What is the longest that some people in the forum it's been waiting for the card or welcome letter?
I am so frustated!
Cannot concentrate on my job, I promise my parents that I was going to see them eather March or April and I don't see that happening, is like I lost hope! :(
Mona,
I definitely understands your feeling, I haven't see my dad for three years almost. Did DO tell your that your are approved after interview? If you saw officer stamp on your files with big APPROVE letter, then you can make an infor. pass and try to get stamp. I have read that some people got stamp during the infor. appt. but not in new york. In new york, most likely you will go federal plaza for infor. pass and they will tell you the files in at garden city, (please read previous posts) they just like bouncing your around for nothing. if you have family emergency or your job is required to travel, then there is a change to get a stamp. there is another option, find your congree man and make an appt with him/her, express your feelings, and let him/her make some calls. the last option is just waiting, maybe you will get card soon, who knows. by the way when did you file 485?

In NY we are like in the limbo. The info pass appointment is worthless because files are in Garden City and there is no way you can make and appointment over there.
What I am gonna do is this... I am gonna wait until next week when is a month after the interview if nothing is happening I am gonna send a letter addressed to the officer who did the interview (spanic male as me, but I am a female) and I also have name and address of congressman.
I applied on March 20, 2005 and although I've wait for a year this is the longest, when you know is just the last step. He did not put any stamp, he just told me that he had to check the file again to make a decision and that I will be notify by mail, I asked when, he said... I do not know!!!!
What about that? Yeah! Right! He does not know!

Guys,
I haven't got anything yet.
The congress man sends me the response they got from Fed. Plaza regarding my case.
"I-485 pending due to requisite Background checks"
I don't know when was that, because when I spoke to the officer who interviewed us, she confirmed that she approved me and she stamped my passport.
Second: I received a message on my cell phone from the officer, telling me that there is a new development on my case and the file came back to her office. and she said that she will try to cal me back.. and I never heard from her since that message this past Monday. I tried to call her several times during the week, but no success to reach her.
I don't know what new developement could be...
any suggestions people?
I am going crazy already...
the congressman told me that it is a background check, BUT how can the officer approves my case with pending background check.
This is horrible.

Mona,

U have to have some patience...Here people have applied in 2000 and are getting AOS interviews now !!!

Arjun