Any December Filers? Step up

Here is my update:
D.O. Los Angeles
12/19/07: Mailed I-485/I-765/I-131/I-693 via USPS to Chicago Lockbox
12/20/07: Package was delivered
12/26/07: Check was cashed. I see MSCxxxxxxx on the back of the cleared check.
12/28/07: Received 3 Receipt Notices for 485/765/131 (RD=12/20/07, ND=12/22/07)
1/7/08: Now able to view I-765 and I-131 online (LUD=1/4/08). Still can't see I-485 online.
1/8/08: Received NOA for fingerprint appointment code 3. Appointment set for 1/15/08.
1/15/08: Submitted FP at local office (10 print+picture taken)
1/16/08: Able to view I-485 online as well. LUD: I-485=1/15/08, I-765=1/15/08, I-131=1/4/08
3/25/08: Card production ordered.
4/3/08: Received AP approval letter
4/5/08: Received EAD card.

jjfutt,
Did the officer confirm that everything else on your application was ok, and they are only waiting for your background check? If that is the case, then according to the USCIS policy, they are supposed to adjudicate your application once they have waited to six months, as you have mentioned. Lets see what USCIS does in your case. My wife's case is similar to yours (background check delay). They haven't even sent the interview appointment letter yet. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

I asked him if my background check was clear, he said no. I tried to ask him if my background check will be run from scratch again even though I had had this done TWICE for me already at the time of visa renewals. He went into a long incomprehensible vent on how the checks can take a long time. I tried to ask him about the 180 day rule for background check, but at this time, he wasn't even paying attention.

Hey guys,

My appointment was at 8:30 this morning and it is 9:20 AM now. We were in and out in about 30 mins, the interview itself having lasted for about 10 mins. I'll post the details (not much as you can guess) once I get back from work. I was approved pending name check. The officer said that if they dont hear anything about my name check by July, they would go ahead and issue my card.

Gotta run...laterzzzzzzzzz

oh and thanx for all the advice and words of support!!

My interview experience

Guys,

So as promised, I am back to share my interview experience with you. First of all thanks for all the support and advice I received from the wonderful people in this forum.

My interview was scheduled for 8:30 this morning. We got there by around 7:45 and waited in the car till 8:00. It was a good thing I had scouted the area the day before to make sure I knew my way to the DO. So we proceeded through the security checkpoint to the interview room and made our way upstairs to the interview area. It was just us and another lady by herself (not sure what she was there for, all we know is that she was called in first and came out smiling from ear to ear, which was good to see).

We were called in shortly after and were sworn in. The officer asked for my passport, EAD cards and my DL. He also asked for my wife's DL. He then proceeded to look through my file and ask me a bunch of general questions like my full name, DOB, parents' name, if I had used any other names, etc. He then asked me if I had been here in the US on any visa other than H1 and I replied that I was an F1 student. He then asked me the usual "Have you ever been convicted etc, etc, etc...." questions.

He then asked us how we met and if we lived together and here was the part I was most apprehensive about and we told him how we met and explained why we were not living together at the moment and he seemed convinced by our answer.

Next he asked to see our wedding album (this was the only thing he looked at, I did not even have to open my folder containing all the other 50 billion documents). He went through the entire album pausing to ask us a few questions about the ceremony. He asked us whether most of our relatives attended the wedding ad my wife pointed out who was who in the album.He then asked me what our plans were for the near future, about who would move where.

Finally he looked at us and said that he was approving the I130 but since my back ground check had not come back we would have to wait a bit for the card. He gave me back my EAD card and said that I could use that in the meantime (if I took on a new job). He said that they had submitted my information for the background check in Jan and so if they dont hear anything by July, they would just go ahead and issue my card.

I raised a question about what I should do if I had to change my address between now and then and he asked me to follow the instructions on the website and also recommended that I get an infopass with the DO and submit a change of address in person.

We thanked him and headed back home surprised at how easy and quick the whole thing turned out to be and laughing about how he hadn't looked at any other document we took along with us.

Good luck to all those in waiting!

Last edited by a moderator:
bad luck with decembers?

Guys, how come all december applicants have bumped into namecheck problem? january filers are so fine by the way! AWWW!!:mad::mad::mad:

Our interview was last Monday (april 8) and it went well. Again at the end, namecheck was not cleared so no stamp. I was also told by the officer that I wait by July, and make an inquiry with the office then if nothing happens.

I think we should keep posting here and share any experience, suggestion, or possible solution to expedite this issue.

Do you think we should write to people like congressmen etc. Is it too early? I have waited for my wife's naturalization for 3 years due to this shit and made it work only with lawsuit. I do not want to wait again so long.

Do you think we should write to people like congressmen etc. Is it too early? I have waited for my wife's naturalization for 3 years due to this shit and made it work only with lawsuit. I do not want to wait again so long.

It IS kind of frustrating but when I think of some folks on here who haven't received their interview dates or who are having their interviews cancelled, I am just thankful that I am at least this far along in the whole process.

Right now, short of waiting, I really dont know if we can do very much to push our case. But I definitely understand where you are coming from, especially since you seem to have gone through this kind of ordeal way longer than I have.

Also, I was told to expect card production by July because of the 6 month rule. I was not asked to contact the office as you said you were instructed to.

Hang in there!

hornshonking,
Your story is same as mine. I had about 2.5 years delay in my naturalization and got it only when I filed a lawsuit. Mad is not the right word for me. I was just furious and when it was 90th day and my wife didn't get the EAD card, I had decided to file a lawsuit to get the EAD card. It seems there is a pattern. If you were caught in the name check blackhole, most likely your spouse will be caught in that same blackhole. USCIS had to bend down to their knees due to these lawsuits, that they changed their policies on name check for at least the AOS cases. Good for us now. But I think this time, if my wife does not get her GC in 6 months, my "pissed-off" state is at a point where I will file a lawsuit soon after 6 months are over. USCIS is illegally withholding action on hundreds of thousands of cases. I hope we get our rights without filing the lawsuits, but if it comes to it, I will not wait to file one.
Guys, how come all december applicants have bumped into namecheck problem? january filers are so fine by the way! AWWW!!:mad::mad::mad:

Our interview was last Monday (april 8) and it went well. Again at the end, namecheck was not cleared so no stamp. I was also told by the officer that I wait by July, and make an inquiry with the office then if nothing happens.

I think we should keep posting here and share any experience, suggestion, or possible solution to expedite this issue.

Mt100

Thanks. I hear you. Same is here. My legal folder is ready if necessary. I did my wife's case pro se, so I can do the same. I called the DA of the case and mentioned my problem. He said 3 months is too early to do anything, so he cannot help. But then he said "if it does not work you know what to do"! So I am counting days here.

I-130

By the way, today I got my I-130 notice of approval in the mail. I guess this is filed ostensibly subsequent to the interview. I checked some timelines on the board, and it seems approval of I-130 does not mean a lot when you have a pending namecheck. At least, so I think, it means the interview was OK.

finally!

Hi everyone I just got the welcome e-mails last night. I was stuck in the name check for a month or so(see my signature), but I just wanted to advise you on something. I had my interview in Garden City so a month after the interview I went over to check on my case. My name check was cleared(I wonder since when) and because I went personally and checked on it they pulled it out and did everything they were supposed to do, so if you ask me I would go and check on my case. i called uscis before but it didn't help at all so i'd say its better to go in person.

Good luck everyone! it was a long journey, I'm glad its over

Congratulations Anama! Good for you. Maybe I'll do the same. Did you have to take an Infopass before you went to your DO to check on your status?

Anama, that is great! And if it works like that, even greater!

Sands,
I live about 5-hours drive from my DO. You and me were interviewed around the same time. I wonder if you would do what Anama did and post your result here. If it works, then I will take the trouble and drive up to Chicago to work with my case, too.
Thanks.

Anama, that is great! And if it works like that, even greater!

Sands,
I live about 5-hours drive from my DO. You and me were interviewed around the same time. I wonder if you would do what Anama did and post your result here. If it works, then I will take the trouble and drive up to Chicago to work with my case, too.
Thanks.

Sure...no problem. I was thinking of scheduling one in the next couple of weeks anyway to let them know I'll be moving to a new address soon. Maybe I can ask about the status of the namecheck at that time. Will let you know of the result.

Related question for the gurus on this site:

Is it ok if I change my address with USCIS to that of my wife's address right now because that is a permanent one. I dont plan on moving until a month later though. I figured if I did it early enough, it would be better but was not sure since it says on the USCIS website "to let the USCIS know about a change of address asap AFTER moving" Any thoughts guys?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

For the I-130 that I had originally filed with California Service Center for my wife in December 2005 (later on filed AOS package with Chicago lockbox in December 07, along with I-130 upgrade to spouse of US citizen in December 2007) I received the following email from CRIS:
Current Status: This case has been sent to another office for processing because it has jurisdiction over the case.
On April 19, 2008, we transferred this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN to our NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case.

My understanding was that the case gets transferred from National Benefits Center to the local field office. Here, it seems the opposite has happened. Any ideas what may be going on? Is this a good thing or bad thing?

So I had an infopass appointment today to have my address changed. Learned that my case is still pending.... When I tried to bring up the Feb memo about the 6-month rule, the lady got really irritated cutting me short saying that they were aware of it. I got the hint and decided not to press for any further info. So thats it hornshonking... I wasn't able to learn anything else... hope this helps!

So I had an infopass appointment today to have my address changed. Learned that my case is still pending.... When I tried to bring up the Feb memo about the 6-month rule, the lady got really irritated cutting me short saying that they were aware of it. I got the hint and decided not to press for any further info. So thats it hornshonking... I wasn't able to learn anything else... hope this helps!

Hey Sands, nice try:) I appreciate it. Now, we'll be waiting. But I still think it would not hurt to try it at least once a month!

My mom's I485 was approved

You can check my signature for the timeline.

Good luck to all of you.

Hey Sands, nice try:) I appreciate it. Now, we'll be waiting. But I still think it would not hurt to try it at least once a month!

Hey hornshonking,

Do you have any updates on your status? I am still waiting on my name check to clear. Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason as to why they clear some cases sooner than others? Is it dependent on the DO or does the applicant's name/country have anything to do with it?

No updates! And now I have to move and do not know what will happen. I guess all I can do is to keep doing infopass in the new DO. At least this time is in a reasonable distance.