Almost 9 months and still no GC for parents?

Hello Guys!

Here are some updates regarding my parent's case:

Today I was checking my dad's status online and the I-130 now says:

On August 16, 2013, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN.

And the I-485 says: On August 16, 2013, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status.

But my mom's status is still the same... is this normal? Could this be because USCIS received my mom's REF 2 days later my dad's? I was really expecting my mom to be approved first than my dad :( but still I am very happy! Perhaps my mom will be approved soon?

Also, when should I expect the green card for my dad? can I book him a flight to Peru already?

Hello Guys!

Here are some updates regarding my parent's case:

Today I was checking my dad's status online and the I-130 now says:

On August 16, 2013, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I130 IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN.

And the I-485 says: On August 16, 2013, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status.

But my mom's status is still the same... is this normal? Could this be because USCIS received my mom's REF 2 days later my dad's? I was really expecting my mom to be approved first than my dad :( but still I am very happy! Perhaps my mom will be approved soon?

Also, when should I expect the green card for my dad? can I book him a flight to Peru already?

Officially USCIS will tell you that you should receive the approval letter within 30 days and the card within 60 days. Reality: letter in about a week and card in about two weeks. When my wife got her initial two year card she was approved on a Wednesday; got the approval letter on Monday the following week; received the card one week exactly after receiving the letter. However, when my wife got her I-751 approved last year: status update on Tuesday; letter received on Friday (same week); card received the next day.

USCIS has lately started mailing GC with Post Office Priority Mail.

But my mom's status is still the same... is this normal? Could this be because USCIS received my mom's REF 2 days later my dad's?

Could be because of anything. They are two separate cases possibly being processed by different officers, so they're not necessarily going to be approved at the same time. You could get the approval email for your Mom tomorrow, or you might still be waiting 3 months from now.

It will probably arrive in 1 or 2 weeks, although that's not 100% guaranteed. But it should be safe to book the flight 1 month from now.

Could be because of anything. They are two separate cases possibly being processed by different officers, so they're not necessarily going to be approved at the same time. You could get the approval email for your Mom tomorrow, or you might still be waiting 3 months from now.

It will probably arrive in 1 or 2 weeks, although that's not 100% guaranteed. But it should be safe to book the flight 1 month from now.

Hello There!

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like my mom's I-485 was approved before my dad, I was checking her I-130 but NOT her I-485.

Now her I-485 shows as "Card/document production" while my dad's I-485 is still under "approval notice sent" but the weird thing is that my mom's I-130 still shows as "Initial Review" when her I-485 was already approved... is this normal? can we expect my mom's green card anytime soon?

Do you guys think my parent's will get their green card in hand before this Sept 6? That is the day that I expect them to flight to Peru.

It looks like my mom's I-485 was approved before my dad, I was checking her I-130 but NOT her I-485.

Now her I-485 shows as "Card/document production" while my dad's I-485 is still under "approval notice sent" but the weird thing is that my mom's I-130 still shows as "Initial Review" when her I-485 was already approved... is this normal? can we expect my mom's green card anytime soon?
Sometimes they don't update the online status after setting it to "Initial Review", even after the entire case has been processed to completion and approved. However you should get the I-130 approval notice even if they don't update the online status for it.

Do you guys think my parent's will get their green card in hand before this Sept 6? That is the day that I expect them to flight to Peru.

That's almost 3 weeks from now, so it is very likely their cards will arrive before that. Not 100% guaranteed, but pretty close to 100% unless they changed address since filing the I-485. Address changes during the I-485 process could result in USCIS sending the card to the old address, because they are often slow and sloppy with processing address changes. If they send it to an old address, it could take months for your parents to eventually receive the cards.

Sometimes they don't update the online status after setting it to "Initial Review", even after the entire case has been processed to completion and approved. However you should get the I-130 approval notice even if they don't update the online status for it.

That's almost 3 weeks from now, so it is very likely their cards will arrive before that. Not 100% guaranteed, but pretty close to 100% unless they changed address since filing the I-485. Address changes during the I-485 process could result in USCIS sending the card to the old address, because they are often slow and sloppy with processing address changes. If they send it to an old address, it could take months for your parents to eventually receive the cards.

Thanks Jackolantern!

I haven't received any welcome letter or other mail for none of my parent's yet but I guess is still kind of soon for that.

And Yes... both of my parents have some plans to travel to Peru this Sept 6 but we haven't book any flights yet since we want to make sure we are going to get their green card in time. and NO, no there is no address change for my parent's case so hopefully they will get their green card in hand before this Sept 6.

By the way, just in case somebody else is interested: I became a US Citizen through marriage (under 3 year rule) On Oct 2012 and my parents overstayed their tourist visa for more than 12 years (never left the country) and it looks like their case was approved without an interview. I also overstayed my visa for over 10 years before becoming a permanent resident and a US Citizen, I came here when I was still a child (10 years old).

on Aug. 15th, Dad's i-485 showed "Card/ Document Production", card will be mailed in 30 days, but i-130 is still under "initial review" as of Aug. 16th. Before that, i-485 was under "accepted" status since last Dec.

Now the online status showed both i-130 and i-485 were approved on Aug. 16th, card will be mailed in 60 days.

So, the online status didn't mean anything I don't believe that it only take them one day to approve both cases.

Good luck to everybody!

on Aug. 15th, Dad's i-485 showed "Card/ Document Production", card will be mailed in 30 days, but i-130 is still under "initial review" as of Aug. 16th. Before that, i-485 was under "accepted" status since last Dec.

Now the online status showed both i-130 and i-485 were approved on Aug. 16th, card will be mailed in 60 days.

So, the online status didn't mean anything I don't believe that it only take them one day to approve both cases.

Good luck to everybody!

Hello There!

Have you received any other news regarding your dad's case? any mail or welcome letter? I am still waiting for a welcome letter or approval notice on my mail box before booking my parent's flight to Peru.

nothing in the mail yet, I just checked the online message, i-485 showed card in production again.

Hello There!

Have you received any other news regarding your dad's case? any mail or welcome letter? I am still waiting for a welcome letter or approval notice on my mail box before booking my parent's flight to Peru.

nothing in the mail yet, I just checked the online message, i-485 showed card in production again.

Hello There!

It looks like we are in the same situation with the same exact dates :)

My parent's green card went back to "Card/Production" again today, and finally my mother's I-130 now shows as "Approval Notice Sent". So I guess this is normal? anyway, we haven't received any regular mail either so let's see who gets the mail first, you or me hahaha : )

Exactly what day did you sent your package for your father's green card?

My Dad's application was filed on Dec. 2nd 2012, he came twice before this time, and stayed 2 months for each previous visit.

Hello There!

It looks like we are in the same situation with the same exact dates :)

My parent's green card went back to "Card/Production" again today, and finally my mother's I-130 now shows as "Approval Notice Sent". So I guess this is normal? anyway, we haven't received any regular mail either so let's see who gets the mail first, you or me hahaha : )

Exactly what day did you sent your package for your father's green card?

My Dad's application was filed on Dec. 2nd 2012, he came twice before this time, and stayed 2 months for each previous visit.

Hello There!

So it looks like your application was faster then mine, maybe it was because I had an RFE (request for more evidence). I applied on Nov 6, 2012. I checked my parent's I-485 status now and the current status is as follows:

"On August 22, 2013, we mailed the new card directly to the address we have on file"

Can someone estimate the time frame to get the green card?

You may want to consult a psychic for that!

It doesn't take a psychic to give a reasonable estimate of when it will arrive once it's been mailed.

If that status is correct and it has been mailed to the correct address, it should arrive in 1 week or less.

It doesn't take a psychic to give a reasonable estimate of when it will arrive once it's been mailed.

If that status is correct and it has been mailed to the correct address, it should arrive in 1 week or less.

Thank you for the information Jackolantern!

And sorry guys if sometimes I ask dumb or silly questions and perhaps my questions were already asked many times before but for some of you guys a simple green card doesn't mean a lot or anything at all, especially if you already have it but for other folks like me it means the world... especially when you are more than 10 years without visiting your family in your home country such as the case of my parent's who had to wait almost 12 years for this moment.