Almost 9 months and still no GC for parents?

jcroot88

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys!

I applied for my parent's green card back in Nov 6, 2012 and until now they only have their Social Security Card and Work Permit, we haven't received any news or new information, should we make an info pass appointment or call them? I am a little worried.

I heard that this process is taking a little longer than before and since we haven't received any other letter then it will most likely that my parents won't have an interview, is this true?

Make an Infopass appointment. And apply for renewal of the employment authorization if it's within 120 days of expiring ... that will force them to look at your parent's case again, which may result in an interview or direct approval of the GC.

I heard that this process is taking a little longer than before and since we haven't received any other letter then it will most likely that my parents won't have an interview, is this true?
No. The delay doesn't mean they will or won't have an interview.

Make an Infopass appointment. And apply for renewal of the employment authorization if it's within 120 days of expiring ... that will force them to look at your parent's case again, which may result in an interview or direct approval of the GC.

No. The delay doesn't mean they will or won't have an interview.

Hello There!

Thank you for your quick reply, actually this Sept 18 will be 120 days until my parent's EAD expires, so I guess I just have to wait? I already made an infopass appointment even tho I don't know if it will be helpful or not.

Is there anything else I can do to speed up the process or make them look into my parent's case? Both of my parents are in the need to travel back to my country and I don't want to take the risk and let them travel without their GC in hand. :(

Both of my parents are in the need to travel back to my country and I don't want to take the risk and let them travel without their GC in hand. :(

If they have valid Advance Parole and didn't overstay before filing the I-485, they shouldn't have a problem returning to the US before GC approval.

If they have valid Advance Parole and didn't overstay before filing the I-485, they shouldn't have a problem returning to the US before GC approval.

I followed your advice and today I called the customer care number and one of the agents told me that he will send an email to a higher officer asking the current status for my both of my parent's I-485 and to wait a month for a reply.

I also made an infopass appointment for this August 1, the only thing is that I only made the infopass for my dad... do you think there could be a problem if I also bring my mom with me to check what's going on with her case too?

By the way, both of my parents overstayed their visitor visa for more than 10 years so I guess is too risky to travel even with an Advance Parole, correct?

Thanks in advance!

I also made an infopass appointment for this August 1, the only thing is that I only made the infopass for my dad... do you think there could be a problem if I also bring my mom with me to check what's going on with her case too?
You can bring her, but they might not be able to help her.

By the way, both of my parents overstayed their visitor visa for more than 10 years so I guess is too risky to travel even with an Advance Parole, correct?

Correct. They need a GC in their hand before they leave the US.

You can bring her, but they might not be able to help her.

Correct. They need a GC in their hand before they leave the US.

Should I make a separate infopass appointment for her? Or just go with her to my dad's infopass appointment? When i called the customer care, the agent told me that I could just bring my mom to my dad's appointment instead of making two separate appointments.

So this is the deal... some new information from USCIS:

1: On July 30 2013, I called the 1800 number and one of the agents told me that he will email the NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER requesting an update regarding my parent's case.

2: On August 1, 2013 I went the infopass appointment and pretty much the guy there told me the same thing, to wait and that he will email the NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER for some updates.

3: Today August 8, I received two letters from USCIS saying:

Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case

To make the letter short it pretty much says that my parent's case are still pending and the it looks like they won't have an interview. It also mentions that they are overloaded with applications and to expect a delay of 6 more months from the date of this letter.

So far everything is clear guys... but for real? 6 more months? have any of you ever heard of this before?

3: Today August 8, I received two letters from USCIS saying:

Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case

To make the letter short it pretty much says that my parent's case are still pending and the it looks like they won't have an interview. It also mentions that they are overloaded with applications and to expect a delay of 6 more months from the date of this letter.

So far everything is clear guys... but for real? 6 more months? have any of you ever heard of this before?

Same here, my husband filed Form I-485 & I-130 for his mother in late November 2012. We got the same Notice of Potential Interview Waiver yesterday. I just called the NCSC a few days ago to check for the case and get a Service Request ID so I could get an INFOPASS appointment 45 days later. I guess it's not going to help if USCIS is expecting a six months delay.

Same here, my husband filed Form I-485 & I-130 for his mother in late November 2012. We got the same Notice of Potential Interview Waiver yesterday. I just called the NCSC a few days ago to check for the case and get a Service Request ID so I could get an INFOPASS appointment 45 days later. I guess it's not going to help if USCIS is expecting a six months delay.

How much longer do you believe we have to wait?

No body else around this forum had a similar case? Can someone take a best guess and estimate how much longer will this take? :(

Their GC might be approved a month or two after they apply for EAD renewal, as they may produce the GC in order to avoid the effort of producing the EAD.

But if that doesn't happen, and their I-485 is still pending after a year, it's probably gone into a black hole and won't be approved without some kind of Congressional or legal intervention. So once it goes past the 1-year mark, start contacting the Ombudsman, your Senator and/or Congressperson and prepare to file WOM. They might not do anything about your case, but you still need to contact them for assistance and document your efforts at doing so, and give them a couple months to take action before filing WOM, otherwise the court will throw out your WOM.

Their GC might be approved a month or two after they apply for EAD renewal, as they may produce the GC in order to avoid the effort of producing the EAD.

But if that doesn't happen, and their I-485 is still pending after a year, it's probably gone into a black hole and won't be approved without some kind of Congressional or legal intervention. So once it goes past the 1-year mark, start contacting the Ombudsman, your Senator and/or Congressperson and prepare to file WOM. They might not do anything about your case, but you still need to contact them for assistance and document your efforts at doing so, and give them a couple months to take action before filing WOM, otherwise the court will throw out your WOM.

Thank you for your answer!

Well we received the EAD on Jan 18, 2013 but this Nov 6, 2013 will be exactly one year since we sent the applications so you are saying that we should take some legal action after this Nov 6 2013?

I never thought this will take too long :(

Well we received the EAD on Jan 18, 2013 but this Nov 6, 2013 will be exactly one year since we sent the applications so you are saying that we should take some legal action after this Nov 6 2013?

Yes. Apply for EAD renewal in late September, and hopefully that will prompt them to wipe the dust off their files and approve your parents' GCs. But if that doesn't happen and the GC is still not approved by mid-November, start writing to the Ombudsman, Congressman and Senator, USCIS director, etc. explaining that their case has been pending for over a year. Make sure to include enough information for them to identify the applications, such as A# and I-485 receipt numbers.

Then 2-3 months after that, if there is no meaningful action, prepare your WOM case. In the WOM filing you'll reference who you contacted for assistance and when you contacted them.

Yes. Apply for EAD renewal in late September, and hopefully that will prompt them to wipe the dust off their files and approve your parents' GCs. But if that doesn't happen and the GC is still not approved by mid-November, start writing to the Ombudsman, Congressman and Senator, USCIS director, etc. explaining that their case has been pending for over a year. Make sure to include enough information for them to identify the applications, such as A# and I-485 receipt numbers.

Then 2-3 months after that, if there is no meaningful action, prepare your WOM case. In the WOM filing you'll reference who you contacted for assistance and when you contacted them.

I guess there is nothing I can do for now but just wait... correct?

Anyway, in your personal opinion and experience, do you think I should be worry by now for this long wait? Or do you think I still have some time before worrying about my parent's case? How about the letters that I received regarding their case? Perhaps my parent's case are taking too long because there won't be an interview?

Maybe I am just worrying too much? :(

I don't know if any of you guys had been through this before but for some reason I have the desire for my parents to have their green card more than when I was in the process of getting my green card and citizenship ... Actually, one of the main reasons for becoming a U.S Citizen was to petition them. :(

We are in the same boat! Filed Application for my mom Nov last year. Have not heard of anything. Did not even receive the letter about possible waiving the interview :(

We are in the same boat, My Dad applied on Dec. 2nd, only got figure print in early Jan. 13, nothing changed in the online status.

My Dad just got a letter from USCIS, saying heavy work load, expect no interview approval, but absolutely sure yet, may still get an interview, maximum wait time is 6 months from the date of the letter!

Anybody else got the letter?

DO Atlanta
my ex applied for aos 2/7/2013. she was petitioned by our us citizen son. my son told me that his mother got an email already that she got approved with no interview last august 6. hope this ease the pain of waiting.

We are in the same boat! Filed Application for my mom Nov last year. Have not heard of anything. Did not even receive the letter about possible waiving the interview :(

Hello There!

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this wait! Can you please share some more details of your application so I can compare it to mine? For example... exactly when did you send your mom's package? Did your mom ever overstayed her visa? if so, for how long?

By the way, I believe I received the waiving interview letter because I made an infopass appointment and I also called them regarding this long wait, if you didn't call them or made an infopass appointment I guess you won't receive this letter.

We are in the same boat, My Dad applied on Dec. 2nd, only got figure print in early Jan. 13, nothing changed in the online status.

My Dad just got a letter from USCIS, saying heavy work load, expect no interview approval, but absolutely sure yet, may still get an interview, maximum wait time is 6 months from the date of the letter!

Anybody else got the letter?

Did you called them or made an infopass appointment and that's why they also sent you a waive interview letter? Also... why do you believe that there will be an an interview for your dad? was there something that you forgot to attach to your package when you sent it?

I believe that I sent in everything, and my Dad never overstayed, never stayed for over two months before, never extended visa, the case is as simple as possible. I don't believe that he needs an interview (cross my fingers)

In the letter my Dad just got, it stated that possible approval with no interview, but not definitely, If an interview will come up, an appointment will be set! (basically useless words, 1. could be approval with no interview, 2. may be an interview, I honestly have no idea why they sent the meaningless letter)

Did you called them or made an infopass appointment and that's why they also sent you a waive interview letter? Also... why do you believe that there will be an an interview for your dad? was there something that you forgot to attach to your package when you sent it?