• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Today we went to the medical (at St. Yared) and it took us almost half an hour. They gave to us an apointment letter. Since I wanted to talk to the doctor and they told me that the doctor will see the result on Sunday and if they need a further test/analysis they will call me. So the medical check up I think will not take long time (at St. Yared Hospital)

it is very much possible but the question is do I really need to authenticate
birth certificate at MOFA b/c I met
3 visa approved people who did
not authenticate it at MOFA
Besides @God-Is-Love proper and sufficient information i am not sure @abi328 if we did get you request right ?
- birth certeficate transelation ?
-authentication ?

what I mean is the need for authenticating biirth certificate; I just browsed interview experience of the 2014 forum which clearly supported the idea of not authenticating birth and marriage certificate at MOFA

what I mean is the need for authenticating biirth certificate; I just browsed interview experience of the 2014 forum which clearly supported the idea of not authenticating birth and marriage certificate at MOFA

Okay, here's my take on this. I think you're clearly over-flogging this issue of whether to authenticate your documents or not. Don't authenticate them if you think it's not necessary. Here you are comparing the posts of 2014 winners to those of 2015. You don't think requirements can change on a yearly basis? People who have recently interviewed have told you over and over what they've done.

If you feel authenticating those documents is an unnecessary step/waste of money, then don't, just attend your interview as is. You may end up proving to the forum it was indeed an unnecessary step or you may end up regretting not following the same step as current winners who have posted on this forum. Your call!

it is very much possible but the question is do I really need to authenticate
birth certificate at MOFA b/c I met
3 visa approved people who did
not authenticate it at MOFA

Dear @abi328 and all in the preparation process for that matter, please minimize the "doing by example" approach and follow principles when it is available. I also believe information (advise) in this forum is highly reliable (like 100% success so far). So do authenticate all your documents and go to your interview without any doubt in your mind (you will see you will feel peace of mind when all your documents are organized and ready). For example, I had all the necessary documents authenticated packed and ready 15 days before the interview. Good Luck

ok let me make it clear; what I am saying is that by. principle non of the us embassy interview instruction orders authenticating birth certificatte but clearly states it for educational document and this forms the basis for my point of view. I have a close friend who held the same idea and will be interviewed after 10 dys. Hope he will clear things up

Last edited:
Dear @abi328 and all in the preparation process for that matter, please minimize the "doing by example" approach and follow principles when it is available. I also believe information (advise) in this forum is highly reliable (like 100% success so far). So do authenticate all your documents and go to your interview without any doubt in your mind (you will see you will feel peace of mind when all your documents are organized and ready). For example, I had all the necessary documents authenticated packed and ready 15 days before the interview. Good Luck
besides @MB1xxx , dear @abi328 as far as i know any translated document couldn't not be authenticated in ethiopia , if it is legal document you don't need to translate for authentication , immagine false translated work experiences or other documents which anyone can get easily from any shop , do you think it is logical to translate those documents and authentic at MoFa easily ?
To be honest @abi328 , if remember from the very beginning i asked you if you can able to get the birth certificate from kebel , it is very easy even it will not take more than 30mints and legal document which will be certified at subcity and authenticated at MoFa.
And i understood some how you want to know possibility of translated document authentication at MoFa, but check the document you want translate is legal , if it is legal no need to translate for authentication . You can translate after authentication.
On the top of everthing telling the truth on the tread and at the time of interview help us a lot, and my advice please check before you try brother .
Wish you luck

ok let me make it clear; what I am saying is that by. principle non of the us embassy interview instruction orders authenticating birth certificatte but clearly states it for educational document and this forms the basis for my point of view. I have a close friend who held the same idea and will be interviewed after 10 dys. Hope he will clear things up
Dear abi328 I agree with the other guys. What is the problem to authenticate the certificate that is what everybody doing before us.So what I suggest for u and other people to prepare as much as possible. Don't be reluctant for document preparation.

Translating document and authenticating is different issues .
If you have legal document you can authentic without translation .
TELLING THE TRUTH HELPED ALL OF US A LOT !

ok let's agree. to disagree till someone comes with a concret evidence on authenticating documents other than educational document. By the way the same question could be asked on why not authenticate police clearance if it is necessary in case of birth certificate

ok let's agree. to disagree till someone comes with a concret evidence on authenticating documents other than educational document. By the way the same question could be asked on why not authenticate police clearance if it is necessary in case of birth certificate

I understand your point. You are saying there is no clear rule/instruction about authentication of birth certificate. You may be right.
But let me tell you examples on non written but requested documents.
You know there is no need to present work experience documents if you qualify by education, but I was asked to show at the time of interview and I did. You know there is no instruction to present photos with families, but more than 2 ladies were asked to show such pictures on the date I was interviewed.
I can give you many conditions on which extra documents have been asked. That is why this forum is here, to share experiences, specially to share strange questions asked by COs.
I, (as already said earlier), advice you to authenticate your certificate at MoF to avoid possibility of AP in case the CO suspects the document is not genuine. It costs maximum of 1 hour plus 150 ethiopian birr.

Lets talk about document authentication from principle point of view. It is not only about DV, birth certificate, Ethiopia or US. Any document obtained locally in one country should be validated (authenticated) by MoFA or its equivalent before it is used in another country (Embassies are small versions of other countries). Thus the fact that a CO didn't ask for authentication at an interview of Mr/s. X should not be considered as a norm, another CO or the same CO who have a doubt about the document my ask for authentication. Note that, you can not argue saying "common Mr/s CO you didn’t ask Mr/s X for this document ...", no way!!

Let me tell you a simple case of a need for authenticated birth certificate for one of my family members (one out of five members). As I mentioned here in this forum a couple of times, one of the certificates of my children has a different naming format due to the time and place it was made.
Name: X Y
Father's Name: Y Z
Which requires the CO to use some logic to get the name as X Y Z because all the rest have the name with this format. We have to sweat a little bit to convince the CO it is genuine, thanks to the authentication which we already have at the back of the paper. The CO asked "why it is different?". As I even have never noticed the difference before, it was a sudden question, "dubida" in Amharic. When things go smooth, yes, the CO my not ask you.

You see how the forum is doing its best to convince you, that is why we say it is the best group. In fact, I didn't get why 150 Birr (7$) matters compared to the risk. On top of this, as we learn from this forum, AP is not good when it comes in late months like June. You will be the one who bears the risk about AP. My brother, why invite AP and and even think of going back again. Lastly, better to avoid "mikerew mikerew ..." in Amaharic.

Last edited:
ok for the timebeing I will accept the idea of auuthenticating almost everything for the reason that dv processing is. unpredictable
I think that is a wise decision. It is not the right time to take risks. What I agree with the house is that prepare more than what you are expected to present, it will not harm you. Rather it will give you confidence during your interview. Good luck for your preparation abi328!!!

Lets talk about document authentication from principle point of view. It is not only about DV, birth certificate, Ethiopia or US. Any document obtained locally in one country should be validated (authenticated) by MoFA or its equivalent before it is used in another country (Embassies are small versions of other countries). Thus the fact that a CO didn't ask for authentication at an interview of Mr/s. X should not be considered as a norm, another CO or the same CO who have a doubt about the document my ask for authentication. Note that, you can not argue saying "common Mr/s CO you didn’t ask Mr/s X for this document ...", no way!!

Let me tell you a simple case of a need for authenticated birth certificate for one of my family members (one out of five members). As I mentioned here in this forum a couple of times, one of the certificates of my children has a different naming format due to the time and place it was made.
Name: X Y
Father's Name: Y Z
Which requires the CO to use some logic to get the name as X Y Z because all the rest have the name with this format. We have to sweat a little bit to convince the CO it is genuine, thanks to the authentication which we already have at the back of the paper. The CO asked "why it is different?". As I even have never noticed the difference before, it was a sudden question, "dubida" in Amharic. When things go smooth, yes, the CO my not ask you.

You see how the forum is doing its best to convince you, that is why we say it is the best group. In fact, I didn't get why 150 Birr (7$) matters compared to the risk. On top of this, as we learn from this forum, AP is not good when it comes in late months like June. You will be the one who bears the risk about AP. My brother, why invite AP and and even think of going back again. Lastly, better to avoid "mikerew mikerew ..." in Amaharic.
Damn ! look how he convince Mr @abi328 just in 2 minutes @MB1xxx you must be A psychologist !? :D:D:p