• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

i have samsung mobile phone...will it work in us network?

It may depend what carrier you have at home as well and if they network locked the phone, and which you want to use in the US. My phone from SA would work with t-mobile but not Verizon, for example.

i have samsung mobile phone...will it work in us network?
Hi @GodisGreat, mobile phones we use in Ethiopia are fully unlocked and can work in any country as long as your Samsung uses quad band technology (supports four frequency bands: 850 &1900 MHz, mostly used in the Americas, and 900 &1800 MHz bands used elsewhere). For example, my Galaxy S4 mini which I bought unlocked from Amazon works in any country. Check the spec of your mobile on Internet if it is quad band.

If you plan to travel in the month of February and march using ethiopian airline, you can have another 23kgs per person as a promotional price(other than 46kgs laggage)

Extra luggage is good but don't forget to compare their ticket prices with other airliners. Ethiopian price is mostly exaggerated.
Ethiopian airlines is a bit expensive, but the flight is direct. There is no transition at all. Fly emirates is cheaper than Ethiopian, but has at least one (about 5 hours) transition at Dubai. Qatar airways is the cheapest, with about 2 hours connection at Doha.
I don't know why Ethiopian is expensive, but most Ethiopian and foreign passengers choose it to fly.

Ethiopian airlines is a bit expensive, but the flight is direct. There is no transition at all. Fly emirates is cheaper than Ethiopian, but has at least one (about 5 hours) transition at Dubai. Qatar airways is the cheapest, with about 2 hours connection at Doha.
I don't know why Ethiopian is expensive, but most Ethiopian and foreign passengers choose it to fly.

One thing about the Dubai stopover is that you will probably clear USA immigration there, so that 5 hours isn't wasted.

from a personal experience, i will advice emirates if you are not bothered about their transit period because their seats and spacing are bigger than ethiopianairlines which enhance comfortability especially for family with kids.

Hi @God-Is-Love, 3 to 5 hours of connection time at Dubai is good to see the inside of one of the worlds busiest airports. What matters should be the price unless you are traveling with a newborn baby or you have a time constrained schedule at arrival. The difference in ticket price is very significant especially when traveling with family. As frequent ET flyer, I have silver level Sheba Mile card but I avoided ET this time as I need every coin desperately for relocating the family.

dear @God-Is-Love , @ZGREAT , @MB1xxx
I had a discussion with my friend about medical result information paper whether it is issued to the applicant or not , I mean if the medical result directly send to the embassy is there any medical information paper issued to the applicant to show for CO during the interview ? if yes , is it similar to the one directly send to embassy?
thanks in advance

Last edited:
For a travelling family with young kids, Emirates has no comparison .Their prices are also competitive especially if tickets are bought early.

I had a discussion with my friend about medical result information paper whether it is issued to the applicant or not , I mean if the medical result directly send to the embassy is there any medical information paper issued to the applicant to show for CO during the interview ? if yes , is it similar to the one directly send to embassy?
thanks in advance
at IOM they give you a completion confirmation paper not the medical result it self but a single paper to take it to your interview don't have any idea about the other medical centers

I've finished preparing civil documents -educational docs (university degree, grade 10 & 12 national exam cert. all autheticated except grade 10&12 transcripts) -birth cert. Authenticated and translated

I have also got the affidavit of support, though it is not required. Now I'm waiting for the 2nd NL to arrive to conduct medicals and police clearance. If there is anything left regarding the docs i'll be very happy to hear from you guys

thanks in advance
Hi @rolex123, we did our medical at Yared Hospital. We received no medical document at our hand except a piece of paper confirming that we are done with the examination. In fact we brought that piece of paper to the embassy when we go for interview but we did not need to show it.

Deep in to the pond: while checking about federal student aid for college study, I am getting contradictory Information. FASFA website says non citizen with green card is eligible but someone who lives in the USA told me one has to live in USA for one year to qualify for FASFA. If so how can I send my children to college next year (first year will apparently be time to search for job and is hard to pay from pocket, of course scholarship is a possibility but rare). Any idea please.

Deep in to the pond: while checking about federal student aid for college study, I am getting contradictory Information. FASFA website says non citizen with green card is eligible but someone who lives in the USA told me one has to live in USA for one year to qualify for FASFA. If so how can I send my children to college next year (first year will apparently be time to search for job and is hard to pay from pocket, of course scholarship is a possibility but rare). Any idea please.

If the website says you'll be eligible, trust the website...

One thing you may need to be aware of, is that different states have different eligibility rules for who pays in-state tuition. It's possible your friend was getting confused with this, as in some states you need to have lived there for a cetain time to qualify for resident tuition fees.

The person who told you that obviously has no idea of what they're talking about. All LPRs are eligible to apply for FAFSA and applicable State grants regardless of how long they've been permanent residents. But do bear in mind though that you may still end up having to pay a significant portion of the college fees yourself.