• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

affidavit of support

So for Diversity lottery winners, do we need to have somebody from the USA who has a certain amount of net worth to be our sponsor?

If we don't know anybody, how much money do we need in our bank account to proof that we can support ourselves during the interview?

Depends on the embassy where you're interviewing. Some embassies recognize the host system, which is if you know someone in the U.S., preferably a family member or a close friend you plan on staying with, then they may not require you to present any financial evidence. Some insist on applicants presenting an affidavit of support, in which case you will need a U.S. based person to fill out an I-134 for you. For embassies that are willing to look at your personal financial worth, the idea is to show proof of having about $10,000 per person or roughly $25,000 for a family of 3 on average.

Depends on the embassy where you're interviewing. Some embassies recognize the host system, which is if you know someone in the U.S., preferably a family member or a close friend you plan on staying with, then they may not require you to present any financial evidence. Some insist on applicants presenting an affidavit of support, in which case you will need a U.S. based person to fill out an I-134 for you. For embassies that are willing to look at your personal financial worth, the idea is to show proof of having about $10,000 per person or roughly $25,000 for a family of 3 on average.
I have a brother who is a US citizen. If I say I will be living with him, does he have to fill out the I-134 form?

I have a brother who is a US citizen. If I say I will be living with him, does he have to fill out the I-134 form?

Depends on the embassy where you will be interviewing. Like I said some recognize the host system without the need for an affidavit and some require an actual affidavit. Regardless, you might want to ask him to prepare one for you, better safe than sorry.

Depends on the embassy where you will be interviewing. Like I said some recognize the host system without the need for an affidavit and some require an actual affidavit. Regardless, you might want to ask him to prepare one for you, better safe than sorry.
So if I don't have sufficient funds and nobody is willing to sign the I-134 form for me, than they are likely to refuse my visa right?

So if I don't have sufficient funds and nobody is willing to sign the I-134 form for me, than they are likely to refuse my visa right?

If you're interviewing in London you may get away with it as they don't seem to ask for proof of funds all that often.

You need to see why they need sufficient fund first, that is due to public charge.

Public charge is beyond funds, it includes you family composition, work experience, health.....
I134 may address some of the funding issue if it's deemed valid, but would not address the public charge in totality.

Here's some reading :http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

If you're interviewing in London you may get away with it as they don't seem to ask for proof of funds all that often.
Agree with Susie and Mom, it depends on where you are too and here's why:

Let's say you live in the UK or Australia where living standard is pretty high compared to the rest of the world.
If you have a decent job and manage to live there for some time, why would the CO doubt that you have financial problem?

Likewise, let's say you have a lot of dependents, more entry level job in a developing country, you are more likely be asked to show that you won't be public charge.

Further to what I said, for funding, you will need meet the federal poverty guideline if you are asked to show funding :http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Note the guideline is good till around Mar 2016 when they issue a new one.

Hope this helps.

Hey just read that you are another Hong Konger from another forum.....congrats.......
All the best wishes from 1 Hong Konger to another.

Somewhat high AS number, probably will get an interview in Aug.
But it's great to know another Hong Konger........even if you are a UK citizen, I 'd like to see you as a "countryman", lol

well, every year is different.
In 2015, there are 125000 selectees, and the highest case is 19171. (2014 cut off for Aug is 12700 and Sept 13350)

For 2016, there are 84000 selectees, so the max AS CN could be a lot lower too.

well, every year is different.
In 2015, there are 125000 selectees, and the highest case is 19171. (2014 cut off for Aug is 12700 and Sept 13350)

For 2016, there are 84000 selectees, so the max AS CN could be a lot lower too.
Does that mean i have a better chance with 84,000 selectees?

Does that mean i have a better chance with 84,000 selectees?

The short answer is we don't know, yet.

The real qus here is whether 5300 in 2016 is having the same chance as 5300 in 2015.
That depends on case density ( such as 80 valid cases in every 100 CN range) and response rate (of those 80 cases, how many will proceed and when they choose to proceed)
It also depends on the number on entries that Nepal and Iran has before you since they have the potential to max out.

Note that DV4Roger has a very good explanation on the quota of each region, which I suggest that you have a good understanding of first.

Good Luck

This is good news! We are south africans living in London (for more than a decade) in one of the most affluent areas of London, so hopefully they won't ask for POF then. How often do they ask for POF in London from your experience of what you've heard?

This is good news! We are south africans living in London (for more than a decade) in one of the most affluent areas of London, so hopefully they won't ask for POF then. How often do they ask for POF in London from your experience of what you've heard?

Ooooo Pickles, affluent area l see...........very posh!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Ooooo Pickles, affluent area l see...........very posh!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Lol we are just lucky because we have been in this neighbourhood for 0ver a decade and the landlord hasn't really ever put up the rent for us, whereas the area around us kept climbing at a rate of knotts and we are still paying old prices. ;)