• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

I think people give this a lot more importance than is legally required or actually due. If you were married, and present your marriage certificate, which is witnessed by more often than not, family or friends, it is the only proof/documentation you require.

For some countries, typically not Australia or NZ, arranged marriages are the norm often to take advantage of these situations in countries that have high rates of visa fraud. Consular Officers are trained and aware of signs that may indicate such a situation. They may ask you questions about where you met, or what you did for your wedding where you can explain that you were going to get married at a later date but this came up (they are human and understand circumstance, you won a lottery after all), and may ask you discuss where you got engaged/met/how long you've both been together etc... it will more than satisfy the requirements to issue you a visa, which are, education or work requirements. That is all. Your not applying for a partner visa.

They don't want you shoving photos of you two dating back six years, endless bank statements with your names on it etc through the slot.

I understand your point, but I strongly suggest to the OP that they have that proof ready. They may not be asked for it, but if they are - at least they will be prepared - and being prepared makes them less nervous...

I understand your point, but I strongly suggest to the OP that they have that proof ready. They may not be asked for it, but if they are - at least they will be prepared - and being prepared makes them less nervous...

Yes, I can relate to that. I'd bring everything regardless. Keep all the extra documents in a separate pile in case they need it. They probably won't but it's a bit of a comfort thing more than anything. When you're standing at the interview window, the stress level is pretty high, so the last thing you need to hear is them asking you for a piece of paper you don't have with you.

Even though I brought everything but the kitchen sink, I was asked for my husband's university degree. I didn't have that. It wasn't on the list of documents they sent me prior to my interview and since I was the selectee, using my education as the qualification, I only thought mine was necessary. I experienced a pretty high level of quiet panic before pointing out the list, then waiting while she went to ask someone if that was okay. Huge relief when she came back a minute later (seemed like a lot longer!) to say it wasn't required after all. I don't know why I didn't think of bringing it. I had everything else :eek:

Where to exam medical ?

I am currently living in Melbourne. I just have a police check certificate for security position. I would like to know where I can come to exam Medical in Melbourne?

I 've got VCE and Diploma in Melbourne, but I am not rich so I don't know how much money they need me to show that I have money when I go to America.

Firstly, I thought that If I was selected to win lottery visa, I would only need to show who I am, not need to demonstrate how much money I have and follow some silly things. I see this game is not simple, requires many things that normal class people has limited the chance.

I have joined in lottery visa in 2015 even I has won lottery visa in 2014. My case numbers is 200x. I really don't know when I have a chance to interview because the velocity of their interview is too low.

Give me suggestions about my case, I do appreciate it.

Kind Regards
hro

Yes, I can relate to that. I'd bring everything regardless. Keep all the extra documents in a separate pile in case they need it. They probably won't but it's a bit of a comfort thing more than anything. When you're standing at the interview window, the stress level is pretty high, so the last thing you need to hear is them asking you for a piece of paper you don't have with you.

Even though I brought everything but the kitchen sink, I was asked for my husband's university degree. I didn't have that. It wasn't on the list of documents they sent me prior to my interview and since I was the selectee, using my education as the qualification, I only thought mine was necessary. I experienced a pretty high level of quiet panic before pointing out the list, then waiting while she went to ask someone if that was okay. Huge relief when she came back a minute later (seemed like a lot longer!) to say it wasn't required after all. I don't know why I didn't think of bringing it. I had everything else :eek:

Thanks both for your feedback! Makes me feel a lot less nervous, but just hoping now that the dates will all fall into place, and we'll be ready - I think we'll bring every piece of evidence that we can gather, just in case...

We are also getting Maui'd! Such a lovely place, we can't wait - hopefully it will be the start of a new life in America together! :D

Marrige documentation

Hi

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation - my fiance has been selected for the diversity visa, and we are currently waiting on interview confirmation (his case number is in the high 400's), which should occur very soon. We're in a bit of a situation, as we are due to get married in Hawaii in March. Obviously, I am hoping to be able to tack on to his visa application at the time of the interview, however depending on when it is scheduled, this could occur before our wedding. In that case, we would have a civil ceremony in Australia before the interview and tell the immigration officers that we wanted to register our marriage in Australia first, before the ceremony in Hawaii, so we would technically be married. Would this be an issue/look a bit dodgy to them?

The timing of our wedding and this whole visa thing is so close, and it's not like we are doing a sham marriage - he proposed before we knew he had been selected, and we've been together for nearly 6 years, with loads of evidence if they want to 'investigate'. Has anyone heard of/been in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Hi Shoesanna,

Just be aware that the Sydney Consul's requirements for proof of marriage are surprisingly stringent. (It is included in their instructions on the type of documents you need to bring to the interview.) They specify that you need to produce a certificate from the State register where you are married - having paid the $34 depending on the state! When you are married, you receive a Marriage certificate from the minister with the signature of the two witnesses. The Consul's instructions specify that this one is not good enough even though it is commonly acceptable in Australia for proof - even by the Australian Government.

Best of luck

Thanks both for your feedback! Makes me feel a lot less nervous, but just hoping now that the dates will all fall into place, and we'll be ready - I think we'll bring every piece of evidence that we can gather, just in case...

We are also getting Maui'd! Such a lovely place, we can't wait - hopefully it will be the start of a new life in America together! :D

We were married on the beach at a place called makena Cove - highly recommend that!

Problem is, there's no doctor in his state (SA). The US consulate actually advises SA applicants to do it all on the one day.

"There are no authorized panel physicians to conduct medical examinations for visa applicants in South Australia, Tasmania and the ACT; therefore, it is recommended that visa applicants from these states make an afternoon medical appointment with a Sydney panel physician on the same day of their visa appointment."

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/med_exam_instructions.html

I'd feel a little stressed doing it all on the one day, but for applicants with no doctors in their state, multiple interstate trips can be expensive.

I think what I would do is once I knew my interview date, book the trip to Sydney, stay a few days, and do my medical with a few days to spare before the interview. Or if you happen to be interstate (Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane) anytime between now and your estimated interview date, take advantage of it and get your medical done in advance... though you may need to explain to them that you're from interstate, and possibly without an interview date yet, so they can accommodate you

Just confused here. James88 has a CN (1200). and he is doing an AOS, and he has already submitted I-485, Appointment date confirmed, and other benefits have already been granted. I thought those doing AOS can only submit their I-485/package when their CN becomes 'current'. Please advise.

Here is my story: my CN is 28xx, and will be doing AOS. if what I am reading is correct and that can be done, should start submitting my documents now? and below is James88's infor:

12/05/13 - DV entry checked - selected - DV2014OC000012XX
26/06/13 - DOMA repealed - DV application abandoned
06/07/13 - I-693 completed by US civil surgeon
24/07/13 - I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765 sent via FedEx
03/08/13 - Received 4 NOA’s via mail
12/08/13 - Completed biometrics (walk-in)
12/09/13 - Interview appointment notice received via mail
27/09/13 - EAD, AP approved
07/10/13 - EAD, AP card received via mail
15/10/13 - AOS interview at Los Angeles office

Last edited by a moderator:
Just confused here. James88 has a CN (1200). and he is doing an AOS, and he has already submitted I-485, Appointment date confirmed, and other benefits have already been granted. I thought those doing AOS can only submit their I-485/package when their CN becomes 'current'. Please advise.

Here is my story: my CN is 28xx, and will be doing AOS. if what I am reading is correct and that can be done, should start submitting my documents now?

AOS applicants can submit their documents when the visa bulletin announces their number as current - so typically around 6 weeks ahead of the actual current date. It was always that way, but a USCIS memo was published this year that made that very clear.

However, your number is quite high. You have to complete the process before the end of September 2014 and since you won't be able to start until very late doing Aos is risky. You might want to consider CP.

Thanks Britsimom!

Is there anyway I can have access to that 'memo'? Concerning the CP, here is my situation:

Option 1: My wife graduates in May, 2014. and so if we decide to do CP, we could go home right after her graduation and do CP. However, there is one problem with this option. we neglected to check our I-20 expiry date, and we went out of status (from Aug-Sep, 2013). During that time we were fully registered as full-time (international) students and were in school. Once the schools international students office alerted us, we re-applied for re-instatement. and so in the event that we go for CP and should our DV is denied, our hopes returning and completing our OPT will not materialize.
Option 2: We are thinking of applying for OPT early next year (Jan/Feb; 3-4 months before graduation; i.e. right after we receive out RE-INSTATED I-20). and once that is granted, start submitting required forms (registering out intention to do AOS). so during graduation, and months following that we will be on our OPT status. and if DV is denied, at least we complete our OPT.

I am pretty sure, there maybe tonnes of issues with my situation and any of the above option. I will be happy from you all.

Thanks Britsimom!

Is there anyway I can have access to that 'memo'? Concerning the CP, here is my situation:

Option 1: My wife graduates in May, 2014. and so if decide to do CP, we could go home right after her graduation and do CP. However, there is one problem with that. we neglected to check out I-20 expiry date, and we went out of status (from Aug-Sep, 2013). During that time we were fully registered as full-time (international) students and were in school. So we re-applied for re-instatement. and so in the event that we go for CP and our DV is denied, our hopes returning and completing our OPT will not be materialized.
Option 2: We are thinking of applying for OPT early next year (Jan/Feb; 3-4 months before graduation; i.e. right after we receive out RE-INSTATED I-20). and once that is granted, start submitting required forms (registering out intention to do AOS). so during graduation, and months following that we will be on our OPT status. and if DV is denied, at least we complete our OPT.

I am pretty sure, there maybe tonnes of issues with my situation and any of the above option. I will be happy from you all.

The memo is here http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/2013/August/DV-Related I-485 Applications .pdf

As for your other options, the out of status, the timeline and what you should do I would defer to Sm1smom. I think you should post (if you haven't already) your issues on the thread below to get a better chance that Sm1smom will read it.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?557035-DV-2014-AOS-Only/page46

How is everyone progressing... I am going to take in the list of immunizations and see what I need done... :( Needles make me sad.

Immunisations needed...

Waiting impatiently here too have 2 girls wanting to know what there lives are going to be like next year...at least we are all going through it together

I too would be interested in what we need regarding immunizations ....my kids are all done 10, 13 but no idea where mine or my husband's records for these are and if they are even valid/expired...I am CN6XX so thought I would ask the receptionist when I go to make the family appointment in Brisbane...

Do the next lot of numbers come out next week? eeek I will have a house to sell :eek:

Hep A
Hep B
Influenza
influenza type B
measles
meningococal
mumps
pneumococcal
pertussis
polio
rotavirus
rubella
tetnus
diptheria
varicella

They are due to be released on the 15th
but maybe around the 10th or 11th we might find out.

It will be interesting to see what the jump is like this time. Hopefully its more than 75 spots.

no idea where mine or my husband's records for these are and if they are even valid/expired...I am CN6XX so thought I would ask the receptionist when I go to make the family appointment in Brisbane...

You could always have a blood test to determine what you're up-to-date with and compare it to the list the medical checks for. That's what I did and had all of the necessary boosters etc before my medical.

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone knew what I had to do to get my social security number? On one of the forms I filled out I remember ticking that I wanted them to give me my SSN but I still haven't received anything.

Also, I was wondering whether with the new Obamacare scheme whether I'm required to get health insurance before I head over, or can I get temporary insurance before I leave and then sought this out when I'm over there?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

No idea re: Obamacare but as for the SSN I've heard that happens a lot. You can go down to your local Social Security office and reapply for one I think.

Even though I ticked the box to get my SSN automatically, something stuffed up because we got our Green Cards in the mail but no SSNs. Went to the SSN office and asked about it. There were no SSNs in the works for us at all, so something didn't get processed as it should have. The lady at the SSN office said it happens fairly often. That might have happened to you too, so head down to the nearest SSN office and sort it out.

Re the healthcare, sorry, not sure when you're supposed to get it.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably have to wait till I'm over there to get my SSN. This is probably gonna make it harder to start applying for jobs sigh...

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll probably have to wait till I'm over there to get my SSN. This is probably gonna make it harder to start applying for jobs sigh...

They will give you a number fairly quickly - for us, the next day. The card will get sent not long after that. As long as you have a number, you will be good to go as far as jobs. I doubt they'll ask to see your card. Most Americans have it memorized, and the SSN people suggest not to carry the card around with you. It would be a huge advantage for identity thieves if they got a hold of it.