• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Here's a secret about networking: it's nothing more than going somewhere and making new friends. Simple as that :)

Haha, I don't do well with that.. I don't seem to make friends easy... Not with people around here anyways. I found making friends pretty easy in Canada, but impossible here. Hopefully it'll be easier in the US! I guess with majority of people in LA being in the industry, making friends with anyone would be industry networking?

Haha, I don't do well with that.. I don't seem to make friends easy... Not with people around here anyways. I found making friends pretty easy in Canada, but impossible here. Hopefully it'll be easier in the US! I guess with majority of people in LA being in the industry, making friends with anyone would be industry networking?

I find the same thing here - I don't tend to have a lot in common with people here, but you're right, in LA almost everyone wants to or does work in entertainment, so that instantly gives you a connection and something to talk about. I felt far more comfortable living there than I ever have here, and I'm with mushy - my goal has always been LA, because I want to write US tv shows, not the drivel that is made here.

It took me a while to learn what "networking" really meant. I learned not to go in expecting to meet someone who will give me a job. Go in expecting to make a new friend, because at the end of the day, when they do have a chance to refer someone for a job, they will think of their friends first, not that random person they met a month ago that said they want to be "x" - they won't remember you.

Man I'm really getting antsy now... 8 hours to go.

I have my head buried in an anatomy text book right now....and every 15 minutes or so my mind is back in the Bay area (hubby works for a silicon valley firm). Homework effort = 2, Daydreaming = 10 right now :)

I find the same thing here - I don't tend to have a lot in common with people here, but you're right, in LA almost everyone wants to or does work in entertainment, so that instantly gives you a connection and something to talk about. I felt far more comfortable living there than I ever have here, and I'm with mushy - my goal has always been LA, because I want to write US tv shows, not the drivel that is made here.

Yeah! People here at my age just want to go out clubbing & drinking every night... I'm not a fan. My time is better sent watching many TV shows & movies & playing with my dog... Haha :). I have a lot of odd hobbies that people here really don't approve of? They insist my hobbies should be drinking.. I must be un-Australian!

It took me a while to learn what "networking" really meant. I learned not to go in expecting to meet someone who will give me a job. Go in expecting to make a new friend, because at the end of the day, when they do have a chance to refer someone for a job, they will think of their friends first, not that random person they met a month ago that said they want to be "x" - they won't remember you.

Man I'm really getting antsy now... 8 hours to go.

Yep, making friends is the key - plus you wouldn't want to live in a city and have no friends anyways haha. Although I've heard LA isn't the easiest place to make good friends? Guess it depends on the person maybe..

I have my head buried in an anatomy text book right now....and every 15 minutes or so my mind is back in the Bay area (hubby works for a silicon valley firm). Homework effort = 2, Daydreaming = 10 right now :)

I need to get this forum on my iPhone so I can check everyone's posts at 2am! I'm very antsy too for everyone! Crossing everything for you Q!

Thanks Jess. I suspect I will still be up at my midnight (Perth time) as there is no way I can sleep. Mind you, I remember last year too when the site crashed for a few hours. You never know, I might actually get some study done while I wait.

Who am I kidding!

DL

Thanks Jess. I suspect I will still be up at my midnight (Perth time) as there is no way I can sleep. Mind you, I remember last year too when the site crashed for a few hours. You never know, I might actually get some study done while I wait.

Who am I kidding!

DL

Oh yeah, Perth time.. You'll be up all night for the results then won't you? Would be easier to sleep and check in the morning - but you'd be too anxious!

Yeah I remember the crash last year, it was a few days later before I could check mine I think? Quite awhile anyways... Or maybe that was because I didn't have internet at my house....... Either way haha.

Jess, I'm exactly the same! Not keen on drinking/partying and just that alone makes it a little harder to make new friends here. When I studied a bit in Sydney it was so easy to talk to people there about the industry and we all just had similar interests outside of acting as well (even if they WERE big drinkers it was still easier as we had more in common). With a lot of other people my age if you don't drink that's a surprisingly big factor in not being able to click as easily.
And I'm sure you'll love the class! It's scary at first, but usually there's lots of nice people in the classes that are so supportive and nervous as well. It is very surprising how much more confidence if gives you! Who knows you may want to pursue acting eventually!

Haha Nicole, 'not the drivel that is made here'. I'm definitely going to agree with you there. Even before I was selected for further processing, I was a bit put off by the industry here.. The material is not always top notch :/ Would probably have moved to the UK/Canada and pursued work there before here. (Just my opinion.. If you guys love the industry here, sorry to offend!)

I'm so excited/nervous/anxious! I want you guys to get it so much! I'm sure ill wake up through the night and have to check the forums on my phone! Only 4 hours!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jess, I'm exactly the same! Not keen on drinking/partying and just that alone makes it a little harder to make new friends here. When I studied a bit in Sydney it was so easy to talk to people there about the industry and we all just had similar interests outside of acting as well (even if they WERE big drinkers it was still easier as we had more in common). With a lot of other people my age if you don't drink that's a surprisingly big factor in not being able to click as easily.
And I'm sure you'll love the class! It's scary at first, but usually there's lots of nice people in the classes that are so supportive and nervous as well. It is very surprising how much more confidence if gives you! Who knows you may want to pursue acting eventually!

Exactly! It's like you're "uncool" or something if you don't want to go out drinking...? People stopped inviting me out because I never wanted to go clubbing, so it's gotten to that point where people just don't talk to me anymore, no one invites me out, pretty lonely! But it makes moving away again much easier this time. I'm hoping the class wont be as daunting as I'm expecting! :S I'm doing an acting class, an editing class, an animal behavior class, and a photography class! Quite a mix! Can't wait!

Haha Nicole, 'not the drivel that is made here'. I'm definitely going to agree with you there. Even before I was selected for further processing, I was a bit put off by the industry here.. The material is not always top notch :/ Would probably have moved to the UK/Canada and pursued work there before here. (Just my opinion.. If you guys love the industry here, sorry to offend!)

I have to agree with this too haha. I mean not everything here is terrible.... I do enjoy House Husbands & Offspring, but that's about it. I don't know how I ever enjoyed Neighbours when I was younger, it's just so terrible (no offense!). Lots of stuff is in Vancouver! That's what I loved most about living there, I went set-stalking ALL THE TIME. It was also pretty cool to work at the cinema downtown and often see "famous people" come in :D. If I wasn't able to get a Green Card I'd definitely be going back to Vancouver!

Sigh....I wish I could have Canada as a plan B, but my Canadian husband says it is too cold to go back!! :D

ah 3 more hours to go... I'm thinking whether it worth to stay up until midnight to check or wait until in the morning...

Good luck everyone. :)

Sigh....I wish I could have Canada as a plan B, but my Canadian husband says it is too cold to go back!! :D

Haha! Terrible excuse from a Canadian! I didn't find Vancouver 'too' cold, it was nice!

I just realised also that I said earlier you have to stay up later than this side of Aus for the results.. but they're released same time.. duh. For some reason I was thinking you'd have to stay up until 2pm Perth time for results.. haha. My bad. I must be tired. Only a few hours to go now!

Yep - it's 9:35. I will see if I stay up or not, I have a bit day at uni tomorrow. Thing is, I probably won't sleep. That, or I will wake up at 2 anyway :)

So glad you don't have to go through this anxiousness anymore Jess :)

DL

Oh and I loved Vancouver. All his family are there. Damn snow; he has been spoilt living in California for 14 years lol.

Q

Good luck guys! Results should be out by now.. Hope to hear positive news soon! Thinking of you all

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got to help me I'm desperate.

First ever time on this forum. Don't know the rules and all the jive talk on all the posting what number I was and all that so forgive me, I'll try and do that later.

Anyway first year I entered with DV 2014 and I was selected for further processing. Australian.

I was dreading winning really because I entered it on impulse and I'd love to go live in the US, I would, but I'm self employed right now, and I am filled with panic.

I need to know several things:

Today is the start of May. How many months at the earliest, between now and then, will I be standing before someone in a consulate having to provide financial docs?

Some of the stuff on the internet says you can find out you won on May 1 (today) and be having an interview in October of the SAME YEAR? Yes??!!!! Is this true? And then some other people on this forum I read, and they had like a year, or even 18 months before finding out they were seclected in the lottery and actually having the interview.........

I need to move heaven and earth to make sure I can have impressive financials now, I might take a second part time job, this is like totally GOT MY ATTENTION now, this winning business. In hindsight I wasn't ready. I was a poverty stricken uni student for much of my 20s, and have sporadic employment history. How many years do they look back in your past? With the finances? Tax returns? How many years of bank statements? Oh my G-d!

I am not ready for this, I thought I'd give it a shot and enter never expected to win, never expected to be read to "go go go" with financial documents and so on. What can ANY Aussies who have been through the process tell me to make calm down. I've been up all night reading dozens of websites about this scary looking "public charge" dealbreaker. It's got me running scared.

How much time do i have to make myself like the financially independent person I need to be on paper? Should I sell my car immediately?