• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2013 DV Australian winners

Ok so I ask this every year, I am in Perth so I am 2 hours behind the Eastern states so, what time can I check? :)

Missing Payment Letter?

Hey guys!!

If anyone has ANY clue about this, I would be so appreciative...

I have been back in the states on my immigrant visa for just over a month now. There were no problems crossing the border, and the whole process actually was quite easy. They told me to expect my green card to arrive in the mail within approx 6 months.

Now I receive a letter out of nowhere, from the Dept of Homeland Security, saying they are considering my application to waive the processing fee - A request I never made...?

Now I have a new letter saying, "This letter is to inform you that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has suspended processing of your Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551), commonly referred to as a Green Card, because we do not have a record of the required $165.00 processing fee."

Does anyone know when in the process we were supposed to pay this fee, or how I could possibly have missed it?
The USCIS isn't the easiest organization to contact for help, but I will keep trying to do so.

Many thanks, everyone. I hope all of your processes are going well!!

Qewty, you can check at midnight :) it'll be like counting down to New Years!

Jess, I'm also pursuing work in the film industry! The US is definitely the place to be for that work! :)

Jane, what date did you enter into the US?
Since February this year, the USCIS has required that fee for all successful applicants that have received the visa.
Also, on the first letter you received, it sounds like there may have been more to finalize the process - 'considering to waive the application fee'. I would either email the USCIS if possible, or just go ahead and pay the fee straight away and then contact them with your receipt number (http://athens.usembassy.gov/mobile//immigrant_visas.html Follow these instructions)
I'm sure it will be fine, just an annoying delay. Pay the fee as soon as you can and it'll start being processed as soon as they know you've paid I'd say :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG Jess congratulations!!!!! I have been waiting to see a message from you since this afternoon. I even said to hubby "no news from little Jess yet!". I think I adopt everyone as my "extra" children or grandchildren lol

Cannot begin to tell you what wonderful news this is. Try to get some sleep and begin your planning tomorrow. Your new adventure starts here :)

Big virtual hug from Perth. Please keep in touch (if you don't have my email, msg me). I would love to know how you go.

DL

Haha, we're all adopted family here! :D. I was going to try and post from Sydney airport while I waited for my flight but phone battery went flat!

Congrats Jess! I'm so happy for you!!!! Such a relief, isn't it? So much weight is lifted when you hear 'congratulations' :)

Definitely such a weight off! Although it still kind of feels "not real", I mean until I get to the US I don't think it will really sink in that this is ACTUALLY happening? Anyone else feeling that...? Haha.

Congrats Jess, that's fantastic news! I think it's natural for everyone to feel stressed before those interviews, even if you're sure you have everything in order. I know I did for my E3 visas. But the weight of the world lifts off your shoulders the moment you walk out with that little piece of paper.

I look forward to hearing the next steps of your journey Jess. Did I read that you're aiming for LA/film industry? That's my aim too.

Yep! LA for the film industry eventually. But I'm going to finish my degree at a uni in Nebraska on exchange, just so I can complete my last year etc. THEN I'll head out to LA :D You, Mushy & I all heading the same way! You two will get out there before I do though, you'll have to let me know what works like there haha!

Jess, totally agree! It's still so surreal but it is becoming more so each day, the more I plan etc. I think even when I'm there it won't feel real for a while! Opening my passport up and seeing the visa in there is awesome though. I also have a picture of it on my phone.. That's weird isn't it? Haha
I'll let you know; scope it out for you! Haha Dafang is headed for the film industry too! I guess the jokes about loads of Aussies in LA is not an exaggeration!

haha yeah, we're pretty popular both in LA and NY! I swear I heard an Aussie accent almost every day when I lived in NY. And when you consider that's among 9 million people, it's a lot!

I can't wait to get back there. I miss it so much. What specifically does everyone want to do in the film industry? I'm aiming for tv writing.

Jess, totally agree! It's still so surreal but it is becoming more so each day, the more I plan etc. I think even when I'm there it won't feel real for a while! Opening my passport up and seeing the visa in there is awesome though. I also have a picture of it on my phone.. That's weird isn't it? Haha
I'll let you know; scope it out for you! Haha Dafang is headed for the film industry too! I guess the jokes about loads of Aussies in LA is not an exaggeration!

Haha! I have a photo in my phone of the little "congratulations" piece of paper....... :\ so exciting!

There's a facebook group for Aussies in LA, very useful/resourceful/handy! Most of them seem to be on O1 or E3 though, with a couple of lucky green card people!

What specifically does everyone want to do in the film industry? I'm aiming for tv writing.

Oh nice! I'm not sure what I want to do... but I know something film related haha :p. I think I'd like to do some kind of on set crew work - that'd be exciting. But I also like editing... AND... I got really into dog training in the past few years so I'd actually love to train dogs/animals for movies/TV etc. No idea how one gets into that though... But I'm working on it :p haha.

Oh! By the way! There was an actor in the consulate with us... When he walked in I was thinking "that guy looks REALLY familiar", my mum thought so too. But we just couldn't figure out who he was. Then mum said "maybe he's just got one of those unique faces". Then when we had our interview at window 1, he had his at window 2, and we heard him say he's a performer. I just looked at my mum like "I told you!" .... It's going to bug me until I figure out who he was haha.

A bunch of us in LA. Cool.

Lucky there is a lot of resources on how to actually move to LA and find work

http://www.immovingtola.com/

This site is helpful. Especially the guide you can purchase. Lots of good employment agency contacts including all the entertainment industry ones.

I am a film sound/music person. I have lots of networking to do, but already have a good start.

Looks like my Green Card and SSN have turned up at my nominated address in Chicago. Two letters, so I assume that is them. Have to wait until they are sent to my current location.

Does anyone know what happens if you have to get a new passport? Once you have the actual Green Card you no longer need something in the passort right?

Wow that would be a lot of Aussies.. Will be nice to hear the accent again though, I know ill miss it!
Ooh ill have to join that group! And I have a picture of the piece of paper too... Haha

TV writing that's awesome! Have you studied previously or hoping to there? :)

Dog training would be so fun, and it's probably one of the few places in the world where you could actually make it as a career rather than only part-time!

I'm actually aiming for work in front of the camera :) So much competition etc but it's without a doubt where I want to be and I'm an all or nothing kind of person so I'm excited to give it everything I've got, regardless of the likelihood of actually 'making it'. I'm also an experienced photographer so I'd love to work in that whether its full time for a while to set myself up over there or part time while I pursue acting. I also love editing, so who really knows where ill end up! So many possibilities! Ill definitely be doing something in the arts though :)

I am so curious as to who it was you saw, Jess!

This site is helpful. Especially the guide you can purchase. Lots of good employment agency contacts including all the entertainment industry ones.

I am a film sound/music person. I have lots of networking to do, but already have a good start.

Looks like my Green Card and SSN have turned up at my nominated address in Chicago. Two letters, so I assume that is them. Have to wait until they are sent to my current location.

Does anyone know what happens if you have to get a new passport? Once you have the actual Green Card you no longer need something in the passort right?

I agree, that's a fantastic site!

Once you get that Green Card it's 'official official' haha so exciting :)

I believe that is correct - you shouldn't need that one anymore as it is only temporary anyway and will expire. Once you have that green card that is all your proof.

Oh wow that's so interesting! On set work or in post production?

Wow that would be a lot of Aussies.. Will be nice to hear the accent again though, I know ill miss it!
Ooh ill have to join that group! And I have a picture of the piece of paper too... Haha

TV writing that's awesome! Have you studied previously or hoping to there? :)

Dog training would be so fun, and it's probably one of the few places in the world where you could actually make it as a career rather than only part-time!

I'm actually aiming for work in front of the camera :) So much competition etc but it's without a doubt where I want to be and I'm an all or nothing kind of person so I'm excited to give it everything I've got, regardless of the likelihood of actually 'making it'. I'm also an experienced photographer so I'd love to work in that whether its full time for a while to set myself up over there or part time while I pursue acting. I also love editing, so who really knows where ill end up! So many possibilities! Ill definitely be doing something in the arts though :)

I am so curious as to who it was you saw, Jess!

Yeah! Join the group, they're always listing accommodation available, cars, film work, etc. And you see a lot of "known Aussies" on the page - like Ajay Rochester, Mike Gold, can't think of who else right now but I've spotted quite a few of them on there, quite funny to see actually! Definitely a good page to network if you want some Aussie help acting, or even when people are after Aussie actors! There's lots of them on there. I don't think I have enough confidence to be in front of the camera haha, although it would be exciting - I'd like to try background/extra work though at least a few times!

For the dog training - I emailed several movie dog handlers here in Australia, like the guy who trained Red Dog, the lady who works with all the animals on Neighbours, etc. All of which told me that it's not a career in Australia, you can't really make a living from it.. It's more "fun" here, and all of them have a proper income job. It was a bit sad to hear, but definitely could make a career of it in the US/LA I'm sure! Those trainers have bears and lions for training in their yards.. Crazy!

If I figure out who this guy was I'll let you know! Haha!

I haven't seen that site before! I'll have to check it out. There's also that book "The Hollywood Survival Guide" by Kym Jackson - apparently it's really, really good. I haven't read it, but I read some bits from it and it seemed really informative. Definitely something you should get Mushy!

I am wanting to do post production, but on set work could be an interesting challenge.

I am excited about all the options I now have.

Jess, I visit that facebook group all the time, dreaming about when it's my turn again! And yeah, I've seen quite a few notable names on there too.

Wow, sounds like we're all looking at different sides of the industry. Collectively, we'd probably make a good production company! haha

I'm currently in my last year of a film degree. Counting down the days til graduation! It's a career change, but as long as I'm doing something creative to earn a living, I'm happy. I'm hoping to freelance with all of my skills in LA - graphic design, photography, writing etc, while I work on the scriptwriting. Just gotta do that networking and make good friends and contacts.

Thanks for the link dafang, I'm bookmarking it now.

Jess, I visit that facebook group all the time, dreaming about when it's my turn again! And yeah, I've seen quite a few notable names on there too.

I check the page daily, so much information. I posted something late last year I think & I think they all thought I was a guy cause I said something about living with my dog....? Haha. So I haven't posted again since.. Awkward!

Wow, sounds like we're all looking at different sides of the industry. Collectively, we'd probably make a good production company! haha

I'm currently in my last year of a film degree. Counting down the days til graduation! It's a career change, but as long as I'm doing something creative to earn a living, I'm happy. I'm hoping to freelance with all of my skills in LA - graphic design, photography, writing etc, while I work on the scriptwriting. Just gotta do that networking and make good friends and contacts.

Nice! I don't think my degree will get me much there, that's why I'm excited to do the exchange... hopefully a better experience haha.

Networking seems stressful! I don't think I'd network well... haha. :(

Yeah! Join the group, they're always listing accommodation available, cars, film work, etc. And you see a lot of "known Aussies" on the page - like Ajay Rochester, Mike Gold, can't think of who else right now but I've spotted quite a few of them on there, quite funny to see actually! Definitely a good page to network if you want some Aussie help acting, or even when people are after Aussie actors! There's lots of them on there. I don't think I have enough confidence to be in front of the camera haha, although it would be exciting - I'd like to try background/extra work though at least a few times!
I haven't seen that site before! I'll have to check it out. There's also that book "The Hollywood Survival Guide" by Kym Jackson - apparently it's really, really good. I haven't read it, but I read some bits from it and it seemed really informative. Definitely something you should get Mushy!

I've already read it actually - it's fantastic! A lot of actor stuff, but so many useful tips for anyone moving there!
Wow, bears and lions!? I suppose if there's a market for it!

Haha yeah being in front of the camera is very daunting but my fear of not doing it is greater than my shyness, most of the time!

I am wanting to do post production, but on set work could be an interesting challenge.

I am excited about all the options I now have.

Nice! The music side of the film industry is really interesting, and yes, so many options there! That'll be awesome!
When people often comment on these forums about 'why would anyone from Australia want to move to the US, it's such an easy answer for me - this is the industry I know I want to work in and it's where I need to be to have any hope of working in this kind of job and have a real shot at it. (I mean the Australian tv & film market is improving and there is less competition, but also less work. LA has always been the goal for me!)

Networking seems stressful! I don't think I'd network well... haha. :(

Haha it's quite rounded out, isn't it? Hey it is the diversity visa, I suppose that's true, quite a varied little group of us going into that industry! Haha

I'm sure having the film degree behind you will help so much with writing; just having an understanding of other areas is always a plus. Yeah I think I'd like to possibly freelance with photography/graphic design as well, just not sure how hard it is to get that work over there yet..? (That'd be so ideal for me.. freelance work like that and then have time to study/audition etc)

Hmm that networking aspect is such a big part of working over there by the sounds of it. A little intimidating but I guess that's just how it works! I think the Australian part will help ;)

I've already read it actually - it's fantastic! A lot of actor stuff, but so many useful tips for anyone moving there!

Oh nice! I was going to buy it but I think I might wait until I'm in the US - too much stuff to pack in limited bags already haha.

Haha yeah being in front of the camera is very daunting but my fear of not doing it is greater than my shyness, most of the time!

I'm doing a 'basic acting techniques' at my exchange uni :S mum insisted it'd help my confidence haha. I'm really worried about the class! I think I'll fail with my shyness! Haha.

When people often comment on these forums about 'why would anyone from Australia want to move to the US, it's such an easy answer for me - this is the industry I know I want to work in and it's where I need to be to have any hope of working in this kind of job and have a real shot at it. (I mean the Australian tv & film market is improving and there is less competition, but also less work. LA has always been the goal for me!)
YES! Exactly how I feel! ... Plus loving the US in general... But definitely, it's where you have to be for any hope in the industry... Just so much more work there for it.