• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 All Selectees

Did you fill this name in under the section of the DS260 that asks if you were previously known by other names? If not you'll need to update it. And make sure you bring along to the interview whatever official documentation you have related to the name change.
And what about the fact that I failed to fill it in my DS160 ?

And what about the fact that I failed to fill it in my DS160 ?

I don't know. Is there a section on the DS160 that asks for previous names? In other words: did you purposely leave out information? Or is it not asked for?

Thank you! and AP is?

Administrative processing. Temporary refusal of visa pending further checks, sometimes background checks, sometimes you haven't provided everything they need at interview and they're awaiting documents, sometimes they are checking the veracity of documents provided or for example verifying that high school from a different country does meet the requirements, etc. While they try hard to wrap up all AP by fiscal year end for DV cases there are inevitably some that don't get finalized in time.

I changed names (surname) before 18 and I failed to mention that in the B1/B2 visa (didn't get married, just changed names). I didn't think it was important at the timesince all my official identification is with my current name. The problem now is that my vaccinations records are with my older name...

Get affidavits showing you are the same person and be ready to explain to the CO the reasons

I don't know. Is there a section on the DS160 that asks for previous names? In other words: did you purposely leave out information? Or is it not asked for?
I absent-mindedly hit the no button on the previous names question im my DS160 form. I almost did the same on my DS260 before I realise my mistake. It definitely was not on purpose..
Is any one aware of a way to correct a DS160 after getting the visa? Is it worth trying ?

You don't think I should try and correct the DS160 so that both forms are consistent ?

Of course there's no way for you to correct the DS160 now, they can't alter forms retroactively after a visa is issued!
I don't know if an affidavit will be any use either, you need whatever official documentation/record of the name change to show them.
I guess you can hope for the best at the interview but don't be surprised if it comes up as a question. I'm not sure how much sympathy the CO would have for "absent minded" as being an excuse. And of course when you sign any visa application you're affirming that everything is true. So if you get a particularly picky CO it could be a stressful interview. But hopefully the fact that you'll list all names on the DS260 which allows them to do a proper background check will be enough.

Yes we know they give you an "option" of selecting an embassy. We also know for a fact they will schedule your appointment based on the home address listed on your DS-260 form regardless of the embassy you've indicated. We spent a great deal of time last year explaining this to DV 2017 Selectees too.

Could you please post the link where you explained this already? I really don't understand why you can choose between AoS and CP on the DS-260 if KCC does not honor it. I would really like to understand how to do CP while living in the US. Thanks Mom !

Could you please post the link where you explained this already? I really don't understand why you can choose between AoS and CP on the DS-260 if KCC does not honor it. I would really like to understand how to do CP while living in the US. Thanks Mom !

I'm sorry I can't provide a link, it is spread all over the forum and on more than one Thread.

KCC definitely honors a CP/AOS decision, that's not what this conversation you quoted is about. My post is about someone who obviously is processing CP but wants to select an embassy which does not cover the listed home address.

For CP, KCC goes by the listed home address regardless of which other embassy a petitioner is expressing a desire for.

I'm sorry I can't provide a link, it is spread all over the forum and on more than one Thread.

KCC definitely honors a CP/AOS decision, that's not what this conversation you quoted is about. My post is about someone who obviously is processing CP but wants to select an embassy which does not cover the listed home address.

For CP, KCC goes by the listed home address regardless of which other embassy a petitioner is expressing a desire for.

Thanks Mom, that's good news, but ...
1/ how do they know my home address since I have been residing in the US for 3 years and NL1 indicates my US address ?
2/ Is there a way to distinguish between current address (US) and home address (EU) on the DV-260? Because from what I see, I can only enter my "present address" and my "previous addresses," which leads me to question #3.
3/ Will they look into my previous addresses to select the embassy in the last European country where I live, or rely on the embassy I selected when they asked the question?

Last edited:
My wife was selected for SA with a CN 21XX, from what I've read so far, we don't have much of a chance. Seems previous years cutoff around the 1400 mark.
Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi guys,
Must I produce a bank statement during my Diversity Visa interview or will sponsorship by a US friend or relative be enough?

Thanks Mom, that's good news, but ...
1/ how do they know my home address since I have been residing in the US for 3 years and NL1 indicates my US address ?
2/ Is there a way to distinguish between current address (US) and home address (EU) on the DV-260? Because from what I see, I can only enter my "present address" and my "previous addresses," which leads me to question #3.
3/ Will they look into my previous addresses to select the embassy in the last European country where I live, or rely on the embassy I selected when they asked the question?

Again your case is slightly different. For someone outside of US who is processing CP, they will go by the listed present address.

In your case, I suppose you still list your current US address as since they will be running a background check as part of the CP process. As long as your chosen embassy correlates to your listed previous address, and you select CP as the process option, you should be fine.

Hi guys,
Must I produce a bank statement during my Diversity Visa interview or will sponsorship by a US friend or relative be enough?

Depends on your embassy. Some are okay with having a host. However, having an affidavit of support, I134, is always better.

My wife was selected for SA with a CN 21XX, from what I've read so far, we don't have much of a chance. Seems previous years cutoff around the 1400 mark.
Is this correct?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know. Hopefully someone else who may be able to analyze your case will come along soon.

You can't change now, it's too late.
You don't think it is worth writing to the embassy, explaining the situation and hearing from them? Have you heard from any one who realised they have made a mistake after getting their visa and the kind of actions they took ?

Last edited: