• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2016 AOS Only

Hi friends. Here you hear a funny story. I was planning to get my G card with NIW. I paid the whole contract to my lawyer and we submitted my petition around May 1st. Then a few day later, onn May 5th, boomoommm, I realized that I am selected for GC by DV2016!! Case number? As27**. On August 11th I found that my case number will be current on the first month of the circle (October) and was happy because I have heard that NIW applications are taking too long and I needed GC urgently. Excitingly, yesterday I got an email from the lawyer that my NIW petition is approved!
Now my question is that does any one (specially Mom) knows which way is faster to get the GC? NIW or DV? Time is the only important factor and I dont care of money and process complications. Any advice is highly appreciated.
Hey,
I am not sure about which is faster, but you may want to look at your field office because DV cases can be dependent on the field office too. I think it is a good idea to look in previous time lines and see the time approximation of your field office.

Mom I have a question, my OPT was aproved on Aug 2nd and I never received the approval notice. But I received the card on Aug 14th. Now my question is I talked with USCIS and they asked me to file I824 along with a $405 fee. And also person advised me to go to my USCIS field office and they might have a copy of my approval notice. Do you have an idea how should I proceed with this case?

I am sorry if it has been stated elsewhere. I am filling my I485. Where should I tick at Part 2 (Application type, I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because: )? there are options from a to h. I am confused in a or h. Either mark a or mark h and write DV lottery winner with case no. Also what for my spouse? b or mark h and write similar thing?

I went to get a medical done yesterday, and apparently i needed tetanus shot. I have an insurance, but the receptionist said i'd have to pay them directly full price ($55) for the vaccination and file a claim myself, because "insurance doesn't pay much". WTH!? Now i'm not sure if I confront them and say hey you are supposed to file a claim according to an agreement with my insurance provider, and hope they don't mess up my medical exam paperwork on purpose for giving them a fuss about what they are supposed to do, OR just bite the bullet and pay the $55. Any thoughts anyone?
I went to a small clinic that had the cheapest price for a medical exam - $150, and that's what i get. :(
I'm supposed to go back tomorrow for the results... ugh.

Last edited:
I went to get a medical done yesterday, and apparently i needed tetanus shot. I have an insurance, but the receptionist said i'd have to pay them directly full price ($55) for the vaccination and file a claim myself, because "insurance doesn't pay much". WTH!? Now i'm not sure if I confront them and say hey you are supposed to file a claim according to an agreement with my insurance provider, and hope they don't mess up my medical exam paperwork on purpose for giving them a fuss about what they are supposed to do, OR just bite the bullet and pay the $55. Any thoughts anyone?
I went to a small clinic that had the cheapest price for a medical exam, and that's what i get. :(
I'm supposed to go back tomorrow for the results... ugh.

I went to a different clinic to have my tetanus shot, not the same place I had my medical done at. The clinic I went to for my shot accepted my insurance and gave me a certificate to take back to the doctor as proof that I had the shot so they could mark my medical paperwork accordingly.

I went to a different clinic to have my tetanus shot, not the same place I had my medical done at. The clinic I went to for my shot accepted my insurance and gave me a certificate to take back to the doctor as proof that I had the shot so they could mark my medical paperwork accordingly.
that's what i was thinking i'd do in case i needed it, but then changed my mind thinking i have insurance and why go through the hassle. idiot.

I am in H4 visa status and I am selected in lottery. and both me and my husband are filing for AOS. Do I need sponsor letter from my husband (since he is also filing, I am confused). My husband (in h1b) works here as an engineer.

Thanks

Does anybody know what's the expiration date on I-94? For me it says Sept 30, 2015. Does it mean that it's not valid after September? My documents will arrive on October, so does it make any problem?

What about the expiration date on G-325a and I-485 forms?

Hi friends. Here you hear a funny story. I was planning to get my G card with NIW. I paid the whole contract to my lawyer and we submitted my petition around May 1st. Then a few day later, onn May 5th, boomoommm, I realized that I am selected for GC by DV2016!! Case number? As27**. On August 11th I found that my case number will be current on the first month of the circle (October) and was happy because I have heard that NIW applications are taking too long and I needed GC urgently. Excitingly, yesterday I got an email from the lawyer that my NIW petition is approved!
Now my question is that does any one (specially Mom) knows which way is faster to get the GC? NIW or DV? Time is the only important factor and I dont care of money and process complications. Any advice is highly appreciated.

Well, there's no rule that says a person can't have more than one GC petition in the system, (particularly in your case where money isn't an issue), DV is most definitely the fastest, you can equally go ahead with your NIW process at the same time.

Does anybody know what's the expiration date on I-94? For me it says Sept 30, 2015. Does it mean that it's not valid after September? My documents will arrive on October, so does it make any problem?

What about the expiration date on G-325a and I-485 forms?

What matters on your I-94 is the date marked/stamped as your duration of stay.

The expiration dates on the G-325A and I-485 forms do not matter either as long as they're the most recent dates on the forms available from the USCIS website. They've equally stated on the website that earlier versions of some of those forms are equally acceptable.

Mom I have a question, my OPT was aproved on Aug 2nd and I never received the approval notice. But I received the card on Aug 14th. Now my question is I talked with USCIS and they asked me to file I824 along with a $405 fee. And also person advised me to go to my USCIS field office and they might have a copy of my approval notice. Do you have an idea how should I proceed with this case?

I don't know much about this but I would also suggest you start by visiting FO that approved the petition.

I am sorry if it has been stated elsewhere. I am filling my I485. Where should I tick at Part 2 (Application type, I am applying for an adjustment to permanent resident status because: )? there are options from a to h. I am confused in a or h. Either mark a or mark h and write DV lottery winner with case no. Also what for my spouse? b or mark h and write similar thing?

Select 'H' for the main selectee, and you'll need to type/write in something like "DV Lottery Winner. Selectee Letter Attached" on the blank space.

For the spouse/derivative select 'B'

I am in H4 visa status and I am selected in lottery. and both me and my husband are filing for AOS. Do I need sponsor letter from my husband (since he is also filing, I am confused). My husband (in h1b) works here as an engineer.

Thanks

Your husband doesn't need to file an affidavit of support for you since you're both applying together.

Okay, let's make sure we're both on the same page before we move on to what the next step should be. For now, forget about when you applied for the DV2016 lottery, forget about when you submitted your DS-260 form. Let's focus on the following questions please:

1. When did you enter the U.S.?
2. In which NIV category did you enter?
3. What was the duration of stay granted in your I-94? (Not the expiration date of your visa, that's irrelevant for now)
4. When did you submit your asylum petition?
5. When did you receive the NOA for the asylum petition - actually that should be what's the date in the NOA for the petition from USCIS?

We really can't proceed any further without the answers to these questions.

Dear mom,

I am sorry as I certainly did not mean to disrespect you. And I MOST certainly more than appreciate your help. My english is not good and I have to get special access to the computer and ask someone to translate the information. The person writing on my behalf did not have the information you required and never bothered to answer. My honest and most sincere apologies. I value your time and this time asked a person that is more reliable to respond on my behalf. I hope you understand my situation. If you would still consider helping me I would absolutely be willing to answer the questions.

1. I entered US May 17, 2015
2. NIV Category: B-2 VISA
3. I-94 duration granted: 6 months (until Nov. 16, 2014)
4. I submitted application July 2, 2014
5. I received acknowledgement of receipt of my asylum application (i-589) on July 09, 2014
I received NOA (i-797C) Feb 4., 2015

PLEASE, I hope you will consider helping me.
My biggest thank you!!!!

I don't know much about this but I would also suggest you start by visiting FO that approved the petition.
Thank you mom, My case was at vermont center so do you think I have to go to vermont or my local USCIS office which is Lawrence MA

Knowing this, are any October currents filing early?
Hey lynnie11, Sorry for my late response, I was busy with the first week of school! As I am very close to graduation I decided to go ahead and file my package early. I am current for Oct. Hopefully everything goes well. I basically followed all the steps in the spreadsheet and updated the timeline. Will keep you guys posted with the progress. I should add that I filled the 260 on May but did not receive any 2NL and filed the AOS package without 2NL.

Hi Mom, a small stupid question:
While filing DS260 I wrote my birth city as Pokhara, Kaski, Nepal. I asked my birth certificate from my home and it has Bharatpokhari, Kaski, Nepal. (Both place are same because my birthplace was merged with a bigger city of Pokhara after my BC was made). I just realized it today while collecting my documents. I am not sure if it will be an issue in interview. Do I need to unlock DS260 and provide correct name?
Thanks