• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2014 Kenyan Selectees report here

Congratulations to all getting visas. And those still on AP, know that your cases will get resolved. Night may feel like days but keep trusting an praying for your miracle is on the way.

"Woe is me, for I am undone"

The short story...

For those that wont read the full story: I was put on AP because I could not present the "separation decree" - to show I was indeed separated at the time of DV entry, and (for me) the requirement was wildly unexpected, and shocked me to the core...everything else was a blur after that.

Now the long story...

I have been following the advice from this forum the whole of last month, and actually got to a point where I obsessed. Now as I write this, my head is spinning like a carousel, but the writing alone seems to be somewhat therapeutic. I had planned to gloat after my (successful) interview, but now all I have is some (perhaps useful) experience for some clueless soul :)

1. I have been entering the DV for about a decade, and the year I got selected, I happened to be in America on J1 with 2 year physical home residence requirement. So I had to apply for a waiver based solely on the DV selection, and I was granted after some paperwork.

Moral of story 1: Relax, dont fret if you're not selected, you save yourself what 15 months later could turn out to be wasted effort.

2. I made the September cut-off by a few hundreds (AF8****), and I thought it was a sure sign the good Lord wanted me to emigrate to America. I did the (expensive) medicals, and "peed in the cup" :), fetched police records from all over the place and whatnot. -

Moral of story 2: Relax if you didnt make the cut; you saved yourself time and money for uncertain ventures.

3. Thanks to you guys, I had everything ready (for the most part anyway); their email asked for proof of finance, and I showed a bank statement, and that was enough.

I had ticked "advanced degree" in ds-230, and the consular asked for it a few minutes later. I initially submitted just the necessary high school certificate (learning from @Britsimon yesteryear's experience).

And here's the kicker: My final divorce decree is dated June 2014, and that may have set off some kind of bell. We separated early 2011. Some minutes later, the consular asked for my "separation decree", which I hadnt brought...I assumed the divorce decree was sufficient. I was immediately put on AP for not being able to present a requested document. However, the interview went on as normal until that last part, and they retained my passport.

I'm not sure that I will be able to get and send the decree in time. Not sure that I still have the decree mail (will check tonight), which also needs translation.

Bottom line; I'm almost certainly f'd.

In this forum, I read about how marriage issues received severe scrutiny, and how they could be grounds for denial, but of all the things that I thought might go wrong with my application, this never crossed my mind. Not that I was completely clueless, but I thought at worst it could be a snag, but never thought it would be the showstopper. So, of all the meticulous prep, and even bringing a heavy envelop of other "extra" supporting documents, my mind was somehow closed to the idea of (finding and) packing the separation letter.

Good bye Texas, no more "howdys". Why, oh why?? What does it all mean!

Moral of the story 3: "Even if NOTHING can possibly go wrong, it will anyway" :)

Concluding: as an African village boy with the famed "six figure" income in Europe (US$ wise), perhaps I should take comfort in the fact that my visa slot will be re-allocated to someone more deserving.

This evil enterprise was a complete waste of time and money, albeit full of moments of renewed (now dashed) hope, excitement and adrenaline. I have no regrets, I would do it again, and again and again!!

PS:
Congratulations to those that recently made it (@pose, @Vlad, @Lerri, @Britsimon, and company), and my thoughts are with those in similar circumstances to mine, particularly:

@tyt - fear&&worry != faith. For goodness' sake, grab the bull by the b*lls and stop tormenting this thread, please :) @mom, you shld not take any more nonsense! But seriously, "Fear not (my friend), for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."

@levi2al - I mourned bitterly when I read about your baby asking if you were emigrating to America. All I can say is: relax!!

"...adieu. I have too grieved a heart
To take a tedious leave: thus losers part."