• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Okay. Sorry I missed sharing that. Is there any chance we can find out whose background check is pending?

Well if the interview is not being scheduled due to a pending background check, it typically has to do with the principal applicant. And I assume you've been providing your wife's CN and her full details on the case follow ups you've done, or you've been giving the CN and your own personal details?

When you go on an INFOPASS, first ask about your wife's background check, once you get a response to that you ask about yours too.

Yes, all the time I act on behalf and under authorization of my wife. And INFOPASS is overbooked. I had a chance to make one on 16th. I do not know if I still need to make another one.

Yes, all the time I act on behalf and under authorization of my wife. And INFOPASS is overbooked. I had a chance to make one on 16th. I do not know if I still need to make another one.

I wasn't accusing you before or trying to be shady with my last question. My understanding is that all the discussions we've had in an attempt at solving what could be responsible for the pending background check has been about you and not your wife - the 4 months AP prior to your last L1 visa approval, the in-person check at your place of work, your area of specialization and field of expertise - have all been about you, not your wife who is the main selectee. That's why I wondered if you provided her details and not yours during your follow up attempts.

The 16th is around the corner. Attend that and you can continue to look for other openings too.

Hello Mom,
Today we went to Infopass, and we send an inquiry to the FO. An hour later we checked the status online, and the case of my husband was denied. Not sure why but they said they will send a decision notice.
Is there a chance to appeal the decision.

Hello Mom,
Today we went to Infopass, and we send an inquiry to the FO. An hour later we checked the status online, and the case of my husband was denied. Not sure why but they said they will send a decision notice.
Is there a chance to appeal the decision.

Oh wow! For real? I'm afraid time isn't on your side for an appeal. You might want to pay a visit to your FO to see if you can get more information as to the reason for the denial rather than wait for the notice to show up. And if the denial doesn't seem justified, you can politely argue the case on the spot.

Oh wow! For real? I'm afraid time isn't on your side for an appeal. You might want to pay a visit to your FO to see if you can get more information as to the reason for the denial rather than wait for the notice to show up. And if the denial doesn't seem justified, you can politely argue the case on the spot.

Yes, unfortunately, It is shocking to us. will we be able to see the FO who conduct the interview or the one who made the decision.

I wasn't accusing you before or trying to be shady with my last question. My understanding is that all the discussions we've had in an attempt at solving what could be responsible for the pending background check has been about you and not your wife - the 4 months AP prior to your last L1 visa approval, the in-person check at your place of work, your area of specialization and field of expertise - have all been about you, not your wife who is the main selectee. That's why I wondered if you provided her details and not yours during your follow up attempts.

The 16th is around the corner. Attend that and you can continue to look for other openings too.

Five days ago we put another request to expedite the case (Req #OVPxxxxxx). We`ve just received a response from USCIS that the request was sent to appropriate department for the final decision. Does it say anything to you?

Where you married before your DV selection or after, and are you both from the same country?
We are from the same country. We were trying to get married since 2013 due to family issues we couldn't as in our country, as marriage must be arranged by family. Therefore I filed asylum Aug 2016, but we didn't know that I was selected. Then we got merry in Oct, and we field in Nov. However in our asylum case we showed how we didn't get merry, and we provided pics, trips and leases of us since 2012 on our interview and the officer took a copy of them.

Hi mom, Simon, all,

I simply cannot believe I am writing this post right now, that is pretty much a nightmare. My wife (main applicant), and myself (co-applicant), just came back from our interview. The officer lady told us that she has bad news for us. Apparently, last Friday 9/8, USCIS received a letter/memo that told them all DV visas were exhausted and that they no longer have visas available for DV applicants (she even showed us a copy of the letter). That is RIDICULOUSLY frustrating!!!!! My wife's case number was current on May (AS region), and since then all regions were current until the end of this 2017 fiscal year. How is that even possible? I know that they select more people than available visas, but I thought that when your region is current for a certain month they will have visas available for you! Also, what makes it more frustrating is that since we had our bio (5/16), we went to 3-4 infopasses and finally last time (early August) we spoke to a very nice lady at the FO that we gave her an expedite request letter and she also told us she will go now to check our case with the other officer/s. Several days later we received the interview letter (early August). Now, with what happened today we see that if we had our interview date any time prior to today (or Friday) would be just fine.

The lady at the interview today also told us that they will still not close our cases until the end of the month, and they will contact us in case there are available visas, but I don't how this can happen now. Would sending another letter to the FO explaining the frustrating situation help at all?

Please share your thoughts about this situation. What would you recommend us to do at this point?!?

Thank you very much!!

Wow - I wonder if that is the reason for the refusal of Grateful516's husband, it's rare to see two successive AOS denials here - that reason would certainly add up. If they're exhausted, they're exahuasted - the only avenue is a couple coming back in the system from someone approved on the face of it at interview but subsequently actually denied, very rare but it has happened.

We are from the same country. We were trying to get married since 2013 due to family issues we couldn't as in our country, as marriage must be arranged by family. Therefore I filed asylum Aug 2016, but we didn't know that I was selected. Then we got merry in Oct, and we field in Nov. However in our asylum case we showed how we didn't get merry, and we provided pics, trips and leases of us since 2012 on our interview and the officer took a copy of them.

Well, I don't want to speculate as to why he was denied. Go to your FO as I earlier suggested.

Hi mom, Simon, all,

I simply cannot believe I am writing this post right now, that is pretty much a nightmare. My wife (main applicant), and myself (co-applicant), just came back from our interview. The officer lady told us that she has bad news for us. Apparently, last Friday 9/8, USCIS received a letter/memo that told them all DV visas were exhausted and that they no longer have visas available for DV applicants (she even showed us a copy of the letter). That is RIDICULOUSLY frustrating!!!!! My wife's case number was current on May (AS region), and since then all regions were current until the end of this 2017 fiscal year. How is that even possible? I know that they select more people than available visas, but I thought that when your region is current for a certain month they will have visas available for you! Also, what makes it more frustrating is that since we had our bio (5/16), we went to 3-4 infopasses and finally last time (early August) we spoke to a very nice lady at the FO that we gave her an expedite request letter and she also told us she will go now to check our case with the other officer/s. Several days later we received the interview letter (early August). Now, with what happened today we see that if we had our interview date any time prior to today (or Friday) would be just fine.

The lady at the interview today also told us that they will still not close our cases until the end of the month, and they will contact us in case there are available visas, but I don't how this can happen now. Would sending another letter to the FO explaining the frustrating situation help at all?

Please share your thoughts about this situation. What would you recommend us to do at this point?!?

Thank you very much!!

Oh! Wow! I'm sorry to learn you were informed all the available visas for DV2018 have been exhausted. I've been reading of Iranians getting told no more visas chargeable to Iran, but yours is a bit of a shocker. I honestly don't know if this is indeed true or if writing a letter might help. You have nothing to lose at this point, so yes you can write to your FO.

The truth is even when all regions are current, being issued with a visa isn't necessarily guaranteed. When regions are listed as current, I believe they assume they'll have enough visas to go around, but I don't think they take into consideration how many of those left over visas may end up being issued to people already on AP.

Oh! Wow! I'm sorry to learn you were informed all the available visas for DV2018 have been exhausted. I've been reading of Iranians getting told no more visas chargeable to Iran, but yours is a bit of a shocker. I honestly don't know if this is indeed true or if writing a letter might help. You have nothing to lose at this point, so yes you can write to your FO.

The truth is even when all regions are current, being issued with a visa isn't necessarily guaranteed. When regions are listed as current, I believe they assume they'll have enough visas to go around, but I don't think they take into consideration how many of those left over visas may end up being issued to people already on AP.

Yes, still can't grasp it yet. The thing is that it now puts us in a very messy situation. I am on J-1 (from Israel), and my wife on J-2 (from Mexico; she is charged Israel as her country for immigration via the DV lottery), and our status will end on December, which means we need to start thinking of applying for extensions soon. And now, my wife will get stuck without work permit (EAD) for a couple of months (takes ~4 months for them to process that), and only once we get the J-visa extensions (for 1.5 years under my academic training status) we can think of starting the GC process again.
Anyways, thanks for the advice, we will definitely go again to the FO and bring some letter that explains the situation.

Hi mom, Simon, all,

Thank you very much!!
What region are you from?