• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2017 AOS Only

Hey Mom,

Do you know cases hold until now and then had been adjudicated timely? I`m still thinking about if there is enough time to leave a hope at least.

Like I said before, USCIS tends to make a major push to see those "delayed" cases through. There's always hope until the very last day.

Thank you.

The prolonged background check you're experiencing may have something to do with where you're from, I know you've said you're not from one those countries affected by Trump's EO. Citizens from certain European countries such as Russia equally get subjected to prolonged background checks. Care to disclose yours?

The delay may have to do with countries you've visited. It may also have something to your area of study/specialization. Take a look at the following link for more information on TAL (Technology Alert List):

https://www.cmu.edu/oie/forstu/pdf/tal-students.pdf

The prolonged background check you're experiencing may have something to do with where you're from, I know you've said you're not from one those countries affected by Trump's EO. Citizens from certain European countries such as Russia equally get subjected to prolonged background checks. Care to disclose yours?

The delay may have to do with countries you've visited. It may also have something to your area of study/specialization. Take a look at the following link for more information on TAL (Technology Alert List):

https://www.cmu.edu/oie/forstu/pdf/tal-students.pdf
In 2017 I went through 4 months background check when I was trying to return back to the US from my country (eastern EU, not Russia). They put my visa application under administrative processing and eventually I got visa stamped in the passport. I looked into the link you sent but I do not have anything common to any of those fields in the list. I think it is more about someone`s complaint against me.
Unfortunately situation is not promising as NBC really cancelled FO request to send them the case. This action was confirmed by congressman office too. I`ll briefly tell you again the history: on Aug 22 I placed an expedite service request on the phone through second layer officer. On that we received letter from USCIS stating that we need to write letter to FO director with expedite service request. On 29th request letter was delivered to USCIS FO. Based on that FO requested cases from KCC and NBC. KCC sent my DV case right away but NBC cancelled this request based on not completed background check. I do not understand why NBC cancelled that request. They could leave it pending or as you say send the case over without completed background check. Additionally I`ve learned that NBC takes care on collecting and consolidating documents. They do not usually go into investigations. Everything is so messed up in my mind...

In 2017 I went through 4 months background check when I was trying to return back to the US from my country (eastern EU, not Russia). They put my visa application under administrative processing and eventually I got visa stamped in the passport. I looked into the link you sent but I do not have anything common to any of those fields in the list. I think it is more about someone`s complaint against me.
Unfortunately situation is not promising as NBC really cancelled FO request to send them the case. This action was confirmed by congressman office too. I`ll briefly tell you again the history: on Aug 22 I placed an expedite service request on the phone through second layer officer. On that we received letter from USCIS stating that we need to write letter to FO director with expedite service request. On 29th request letter was delivered to USCIS FO. Based on that FO requested cases from KCC and NBC. KCC sent my DV case right away but NBC cancelled this request based on not completed background check. I do not understand why NBC cancelled that request. They could leave it pending or as you say send the case over without completed background check. Additionally I`ve learned that NBC takes care on collecting and consolidating documents. They do not usually go into investigations. Everything is so messed up in my mind...

When you contacted your congress person, did you tell them the NBC cancelled your FOs request to them, or did you simply ask them to assist with following up with your case since it's been pending without an interview for a while?

There's got to be something exceptional going on about your case for NBC to have held on to it. We've had reports after reports of other selectees who were interviewed while the background checks were yet to clear - NBC did not hold on to their case files due to pending background check clearance. Same with none DV based AOS cases - the petitioners got interviewed while their background checks were pending.

Anyway, I think you ought to have been prepared for a prolonged process though based on the AP you went through for your NIV and the fact that you recently went through post adjudication process for your L visa.

When you contacted your congress person, did you tell them the NBC cancelled your FOs request to them, or did you simply ask them to assist with following up with your case since it's been pending without an interview for a while?

There's got to be something exceptional going on about your case for NBC to have held on to it. We've had reports after reports of other selectees who were interviewed while the background checks were yet to clear - NBC did not hold on to their case files due to pending background check clearance. Same with none DV based AOS cases - the petitioners got interviewed while their background checks were pending.

Anyway, I think you ought to have been prepared for a prolonged process though based on the AP you went through for your NIV and the fact that you recently went through post adjudication process for your L visa.
Yes, I did tell them that NBC cancelled the request. If it is USCIS holding my case I think I should go through as I`m sure everything is clean and I went through several screenings. But if it is FBI name check it may take time and I`ll probably miss my deadline. What do you mean to be prepared?

Yes, I did tell them that NBC cancelled the request. If it is USCIS holding my case I think I should go through as I`m sure everything is clean and I went through several screenings. But if it is FBI name check it may take time and I`ll probably miss my deadline. What do you mean to be prepared?

I believe you put the word NBC in the mouth of whoever gave you the feedback from your congress person's office, that's why I wanted to know precisely what you told them. I know for a fact USCIS typically wouldn't respond to a congressional inquiry by telling them a case is pending because the NBC declined an expedite request. What they typically say is the pending background check is responsible for the delay a petitioner is experiencing.

Okay, first of all you need to understand the NBC process is part of the overall USCIS process. Your FO CANNOT and WILL NOT approve your petition if your background check is pending. The FBI background check is all part of the USCIS process. So there's no such thing as if the USCIS is holding your case, you think you should go through, since you've been through several screening you previously went through. And I'm sure the FBI was also involved at one point or the other in the several screening you previously went through.

Be prepared in the sense that if you've been through AP with your NIV, your IV petition will also be subjected to a prolonged AP. Same thing for those who experienced prolonged AP for during the IV petition process, they will equally be subjected to a prolonged AP when they apply for citizenship. Clearing a prolonged AP process does not automatically mean that is the end of the story, it's bound to happen over and over every time to apply for some sort of immigration benefit.

Hi mom,
I had my interview on August 30th and wasn't approved on the spot because I guess he had not requested my KCC file. When I checked with KCC last Wednesday, it was still not requested. I am in tampa, Fl and in the path of hurricane Irma so we had to evacuate. I have scheduled an infopass appointment for 13 September (Wednesday) but I do not think I can make it because of the hurricane (we moved up north). My FO is also closed from last Friday to Monday(11th). If I miss the infopass appointment, another one will be available only on 27th September. I've started to freak out. We are in the verge of losing everything. I'm worried that I'll lose GC too. What should I do? Please advise.

Hi mom,
I had my interview on August 30th and wasn't approved on the spot because I guess he had not requested my KCC file. When I checked with KCC last Wednesday, it was still not requested. I am in tampa, Fl and in the path of hurricane Irma so we had to evacuate. I have scheduled an infopass appointment for 13 September (Wednesday) but I do not think I can make it because of the hurricane (we moved up north). My FO is also closed from last Friday to Monday(11th). If I miss the infopass appointment, another one will be available only on 27th September. I've started to freak out. We are in the verge of losing everything. I'm worried that I'll lose GC too. What should I do? Please advise.

Book the 27th September slot. Even if the FO did NOTHING until then (which is not very likely), there would still be time for them to get your file from KCC. Good luck with Irma.

Hi mom,

Sorry to learn you're on hurricane IRMA's path - first things first though: stay safe!

If you safely can attend, the Sept 13th infopass (if your FO is open of ourse). If not reschedule for the 27th, keep an eye on the website, an earlier appointment might open up. You can also attempt a walk in when everything quites down. Explain the urgency involved (with printed materials you can present of ourse) to the guards, let them know you tried to book an appointment but none was available to meet your timely need.

I believe you put the word NBC in the mouth of whoever gave you the feedback from your congress person's office, that's why I wanted to know precisely what you told them. I know for a fact USCIS typically wouldn't respond to a congressional inquiry by telling them a case is pending because the NBC declined an expedite request. What they typically say is the pending background check is responsible for the delay a petitioner is experiencing.

Okay, first of all you need to understand the NBC process is part of the overall USCIS process. Your FO CANNOT and WILL NOT approve your petition if your background check is pending. The FBI background check is all part of the USCIS process. So there's no such thing as if the USCIS is holding your case, you think you should go through, since you've been through several screening you previously went through. And I'm sure the FBI was also involved at one point or the other in the several screening you previously went through.

Be prepared in the sense that if you've been through AP with your NIV, your IV petition will also be subjected to a prolonged AP. Same thing for those who experienced prolonged AP for during the IV petition process, they will equally be subjected to a prolonged AP when they apply for citizenship. Clearing a prolonged AP process does not automatically mean that is the end of the story, it's bound to happen over and over every time to apply for some sort of immigration benefit.
Thank you for response. It is very strange they do not want to schedule my interview based on the background check. So I think there should be some other things going on over there other than just background check. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Thank you for response. It is very strange they do not want to schedule my interview based on the background check. So I think there should be some other things going on over there other than just background check. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Nothing much really outside of ongoing follow ups.

You can also try the Ombudsman's office for case assistance, not sure if you will get a timely response though with 3 weeks left in the FY. But it's worth a shot:
https://www.dhs.gov/case-assistance

One detail: The principle winner is my wife. Does it mean that if I do not get through as a derivative based on my background, she also loses chances or is there any chance they can exclude me from the process and let my wife and kids go through?

One detail: The principle winner is my wife. Does it mean that if I do not get through as a derivative based on my background, she also loses chances or is there any chance they can exclude me from the process and let my wife and kids go through?

This is an important detail you should have shared all these while. Your wife and kids will be approved if your wife's background check clears while yours is still pending. If yours clears and your wife's own remains pending, no one gets approved.