• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Unfortunately, just like your lawyer already told you, your wife's status will expire on Sept 30th, 2015 if indeed she hasn't cleared the background check by then. It doesn't matter that her H-4 visa is currently valid until 2018, once your AOS petition is approved, which sounds like it is since you've received your GC Welcome Letter, your wife is no longer a H visa derivative (you're no longer on H1B yourself). Your lawyer really cannot dictate to USCIS as to when to release your GC once your own petition has been approved. But even if th can, USCIS must release your decision by Sept 30th, and if your wife's background check is still pending by then, she still will not have a H4 visa to fall back on.

Your next step may be that you will now have to sponsor her through the F2A family category. You should probably start talking with your lawyer on the possibility of doing that.

Hi,

I would like to get your advice on my case (previous conversations included). My wife's background check has been pending for more 3 months. When we called USCIS customer service, they said we could write to the Field Office Chief of Staff to request help. My company lawyers say they send email requests to the Chief of Staff to ask about the case (to which they have not received any reply to date) and they advised me not to contact the Chief of Staff for help either by letter or in person through an INFOPASS claiming that it may have a negative consequence to the case. Please let me know your thoughts on reaching out to the Chief of Staff and whether this can help with the background check.

If she does not get her Green Card through this process I will apply for F2A visa for my wife.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi,

I would like to get your advice on my case (previous conversations included). My wife's background check has been pending for more 3 months. When we called USCIS customer service, they said we could write to the Field Office Chief of Staff to request help. My company lawyers say they send email requests to the Chief of Staff to ask about the case (to which they have not received any reply to date) and they advised me not to contact the Chief of Staff for help either by letter or in person through an INFOPASS claiming that it may have a negative consequence to the case. Please let me know your thoughts on reaching out to the Chief of Staff and whether this can help with the background check.

If she does not get her Green Card through this process I will apply for F2A visa for my wife.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I really don't know if your FO's COF can do anything or not since the case delay really has to do with a pending background check which is more or less out of their hands. If they're able to do something though, I would still go ahead and contact them on my own, if I was in your shoes, regardless of what the lawyer said.

You can also try contacting the Ombudsman's office (link below). I'm not saying they can resolve your case for certain (or that they could possibly get back to you before the end of the FY), but it's better than doing nothing.

http://www.dhs.gov/case-assistance

From your experience, do the officer stamp the passport as sucsessful interview? Or that's not for DV lottery winners?
Thanks

From your experience, do the officer stamp the passport as sucsessful interview? Or that's not for DV lottery winners?
Thanks

Sometimes, but very rare. Most of the times they're unable to make a decision on the spot due to one reason or the other, so they cannot stamp the temporary I-551 on the passport at the end of the interview.

Sometimes, but very rare. Most of the times they're unable to make a decision on the spot due to one reason or the other, so they cannot stamp the temporary I-551 on the passport at the end of the interview.
Thanks a lot Mom, one of these reasons if they didn't recieve the file from KCC, right?
For the interview; Is it needs to have copies of the passports and birth certificate, marriage, education or just take the only the original of these documents ?
- I forgot to write syndicate of education which I was a member for some years? Is it needs to add it during the interview time, or it's not necessary ? Thanks again

Thanks a lot Mom, one of these reasons if they didn't recieve the file from KCC, right?
For the interview; Is it needs to have copies of the passports and birth certificate, marriage, education or just take the only the original of these documents ?
- I forgot to write syndicate of education which I was a member for some years? Is it needs to add it during the interview time, or it's not necessary ? Thanks again

- Could be due to any reason
- Nothing wrong with having both copies and original documents on hand
- I do t know what you mean by "syndicate of education"

Five weeks now since my FO requested my case from KCC and still waiting on them to send it. Wish there was something I could do to move things along, as calling them once or twice a week seems very ineffective (although I know many people in this thread have waited for much longer!)

I wonder if they're starting to get a lot of calls about this? When I called today the operator said completely unprompted before I got a chance to even ask her anything "your request for your case file has been received, its not been sent yet, I don't know when it will be" and all I was able to get in was "okay..." before she just said goodbye and hung up o_O

Congratulations! Enjoy your new status! I am guessing I won't be receiving worried 3am messages from you anymore from this point on, LOL.
Haha.. Funny that you noticed the timings too :p If in my dreams some doubts hovered my mind I used to get my message :p haha..I know it sounds crazy. But now I am finally happy :) I saved money as I dint have to pay for the attorney :) Will be applying for jobs now. Thank you so much.

Five weeks now since my FO requested my case from KCC and still waiting on them to send it. Wish there was something I could do to move things along, as calling them once or twice a week seems very ineffective (although I know many people in this thread have waited for much longer!)

I wonder if they're starting to get a lot of calls about this? When I called today the operator said completely unprompted before I got a chance to even ask her anything "your request for your case file has been received, its not been sent yet, I don't know when it will be" and all I was able to get in was "okay..." before she just said goodbye and hung up o_O
They probably are. The operator I talked with on Thursday was kinder than yours but mentioned she's been asked the same question multiple times already, and still had nothing better than "2-4 weeks of processing time expected."

They probably are. The operator I talked with on Thursday was kinder than yours but mentioned she's been asked the same question multiple times already, and still had nothing better than "2-4 weeks of processing time expected."
Haha, we all are trying! the operator recognized me when i called today. " you called last week" and i was yup. I dont think i will be calling any time soon now. She said, its gonna take 2-4 weeks for everyone.

Last edited:
hi guys, I have a question. I read somewhere that the process has to be complete by the end of the DV period, so that means that I need to introduce my paperwork before the end of it and then the process keeps going, or that if I dont have my welcome letter by the last day of the period in this case September 30 my application is dismissed and I dont get the green card. I hope I explained myself :)