• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

It's been 90 days since I submitted the I-485 and no sign of the IL..FO is NYC, from last year's thread I have seen that almost all those who were dealing with this FO really had a tough time..should I start to worry/go for info pass etc? Or just wait it out for bit longer?

I do know that KCC have not yet submitted my file to the FO and I have called a few times to find out if they have done so, to which the answer is still no and I can call back in a week to see if that has changed..I know we still have time at this point but I am more concerned with the NYC FO not doing anything with my file for ages, given the experiences of those from last year, and trying to see if I can be proactive at all.
Sorry to hear…did Your FO request your file from KCC though? I believe they only send it when FO requests….If yes, I'd see that as a sign of movement on your case on the FO's part…but maybe it isn't. Let's see what Mom advises you do.

Sorry to hear…did Your FO request your file from KCC though? I believe they only send it when FO requests….If yes, I'd see that as a sign of movement on your case on the FO's part…but maybe it isn't. Let's see what Mom advises you do.

Apparently the FO has requested it, but I was only told that one of the times that I called - and as KCC are not exactly reliable I don't know if I should even believe that or not. But from the last time that I spoke to someone at KCC last week, it was a frustrating call as there was a problem with the file but nonetheless we cleared it up and she indicated that my file is going to be sent - so I'm inclined to stay positive and believe that the FO has in fact requested my file..

Hi, I am AS 67**. Likely, I will be current around June. I have already filed the DS260 and received the letter- intent to do AOS. So, I am just making sure if there is anything else that I should be doing apart from waiting to apply around April/MAy ? When do you think will be a good time to send the 330$ DV fee?

If you're already fully committed to processing AOS, there's nothing stopping you from making the payment now.

It's been 90 days since I submitted the I-485 and no sign of the IL..FO is NYC, from last year's thread I have seen that almost all those who were dealing with this FO really had a tough time..should I start to worry/go for info pass etc? Or just wait it out for bit longer?

I do know that KCC have not yet submitted my file to the FO and I have called a few times to find out if they have done so, to which the answer is still no and I can call back in a week to see if that has changed..I know we still have time at this point but I am more concerned with the NYC FO not doing anything with my file for ages, given the experiences of those from last year, and trying to see if I can be proactive at all.

I.N.F.O.P.A.S.S. NOW!!

Praise God! We had our interview this morning at the Newark, NJ FO. We were scheduled at 10:00 am so we left the house at 8:20 to give ourselves enough time. We are 30 mins from the field office but it's a good thing we left early because the lines (outside in bitter 25F) and security checks literally took 45 mins. We arrived at the reception desk for the interviews at 9:55 and waited until about 10:45 to be called in. The Immigration officer was VERY serious and a tad cold. Asked us to take the oath, then asked for ID, original birth & marriage certificates. Then receipt of DV fee. Asked my husband if he was the one selected. What his education level was, asked to see the original of his high school diploma and all related certifications/translations. Asked for both of our pay stubs. She wanted to know our last entry into the US and got a little confused as to how I was here for so long before my husband came, on what status? so I explained that my husband came here to join me, not the other way around like she assumed. She asked if I was still on the G4 visa. Then she asked for proof of our marriage, joint statements, etc. Which we didn't have (we don't have joint stuff) but I had pictures and an album of our last vacation to Dubai, so she reviewed those. And then said ok, so I think I have everything, but before I make a decision I have to review everything. It will most likely get approved but I need to review things first. So I asked her if she had everything she needed from us, KCC, etc. She said yes I have everything. I asked if she was going to reserve the visas from IVAMSweb today (Thanks @Britsimon!). She seemed to not get what I was saying, so I said you know the DV visas run out after a certain time…She said, don't worry I already have your visas. I said ok then. ONLY then did she smile for the first time and said, you guys applied so early though!!! I said well since the Policy Memo allowed for it, we figured let's just get it done. My husband then said plus we want to travel, LOL (which I found so funny, I don't know where that came from, I guess he was trying to help :rolleyes:). Then the IO said we would hear back in a few weeks, at most a month. I asked if I could contact her if we do not hear back from her in a month, and she said you can come back here then, but make an appointment for it first online…I said oh you mean an info pass, she said yes. We thanked her for her time, wished her a good day and off we went. I was a bit disappointed and puzzled about her "it will take a few weeks statement, but apparently it was all a BLUFF on her part cause 45 mins later, just as we were arriving home we got the card production messages!!! YES!!!!!! I want to take this opportunity to say:
There is NO WAY I could have done this without @Sm1smom guidance & work on this forum. Simply, No way. And the most sincere thank you does not even begin to express how grateful and appreciative I am to you Mom. I hope that in your quiet and reflective moments, you realize and find deep satisfaction in the fact that you are single handedly impacting the lives of so many for the better. Not only for us applicants but think about the ripple effect on our kids, and their future kids…etc. May you be abundantly blessed & rewarded for it all. Thank you once again so so so much!
@Britsimon I am also so very grateful and appreciative of your kindness, generosity and guidance. Thanks for all your help and advice as well. You are a great guy! And a very smart one too…After Mom, you are my favorite person here, LOL. Thank you :D

Best wishes to everyone who is yet to interview. I am gonna stick around so feel free to PM me if you want more info.

To God be the Glory :).

In your excitement to relate everything pertaining to your interview, you forgot there's something called PARAGRAPHS in writing :rolleyes::D

I.N.F.O.P.A.S.S. NOW!!

Ok I was checking for Infopasses earlier in the day and earliest was February - I just checked now and I got one for tomorrow, someone must have cancelled..ok so now I was not expecting one so soon!

Do I have to take anything specific with me? I attended the NYC FO once before with my partner (for his case) and waited like 2 hours before we were seen and the appt was literally 5 mins because the guy on the other side of the desk was useless and basically repeated what was on the online case status.

So this time I want to make sure it goes a bit better, sorry if this sounds silly but what do I ask them? I want to know why I haven't received an interview letter yet as i applied 90 days ago and given that DV process is time sensitive? Would that be ok? Or am I supposed to be asking something specific?

From my last visit, they were not the most pleasant of people, I don't want to say anything that might end up annoying them..

Last edited:
Ok I was checking for Infopasses earlier in the day and earliest was February - I just checked now and I got one for tomorrow, someone must have cancelled..ok so now I was not expecting one so soon!

Do I have to take anything specific with me? I attended the NYC FO once before with my partner (for his case) and waited like 2 hours before we were seen and the appt was literally 5 mins because the guy on the other side of the desk was useless and basically repeated what was on the online case status.

So this time I want to make sure it goes a bit better, sorry if this sounds silly but what do I ask them? I want to know why I haven't received an interview letter yet as i applied 90 days ago and given that DV process is time sensitive? Would that be ok? Or am I supposed to be asking something specific?

From my last visit, they were not the most pleasant of people, I don't want to say anything that might end up annoying them..

There is a kind of checklist you could go though with them.

I485 package. All complete? FO got the package?
Biometrics - has that been done?
Background/Security clearance - is it back? Is it clear?
Have the FO requested the KCC file?
Have KCC sent it?
Are you current?

Some of those things you will know. The other things you should ask them. At the end of asking them if all of that is ready - ask the obvious question - WHAT ARE THEY WAITING FOR????

Obviously be as polite as possible. Get them on your side. But ask the questions in a "I just want to understand where I am" way. However, don't let them fob you off. If you don't get answers to these questions - keep circling the conversation back and ask again. My infamous Infopass was at least 75 minutes long. It started with the lady telling me that DV cases could not adjust and I had to go do it in the UK and it ended with her (sort of) on my side.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Simon, so using that checklist as a basis to start off, most of those I already have the answers to so I will just ask them the ones I don't know ie the background check and KCC questions. And based on their response I will ask what else could possibly be holding it up.

@Ifitis2be also suggested a good idea for me to take all my documents with me on the off chance they decide to interview me there and then - so I will do just that - I'm nervous as I feel I didn't have time to prepare at all but at the same time I was lucky to get an appt so fast I might as well take advantage of it

Thanks Simon, so using that checklist as a basis to start off, most of those I already have the answers to so I will just ask them the ones I don't know ie the background check and KCC questions. And based on their response I will ask what else could possibly be holding it up.

@Ifitis2be also suggested a good idea for me to take all my documents with me on the off chance they decide to interview me there and then - so I will do just that - I'm nervous as I feel I didn't have time to prepare at all but at the same time I was lucky to get an appt so fast I might as well take advantage of it

Well do cover the ones you know as well. You are saying the list out loud partly to get their responses and partly to demonstrate where any hold up lies. If nothing is outstanding - then you are "clear" to ask for the interview to be scheduled since any further delay is unwarranted.

Well do cover the ones you know as well. You are saying the list out loud partly to get their responses and partly to demonstrate where any hold up lies. If nothing is outstanding - then you are "clear" to ask for the interview to be scheduled since any further delay is unwarranted.

Got it thanks for your help Simon! fingers crossed this helps

Just left the info pass appt..so the officer seemed like he wanted to help which was already a better start than my previous visit. I had my list of questions ready (thanks Simon) and we went through them, he was aware that the DV based applications are time sensitive and as it had been 3 months he asked me to sit tight and he went to make a call to find out what was going on..he also asked if I haven't been interviewed yet to which I said no and that's what I'm here to find out if there is any reason for that

After 15 mins he returned and told me:

1) That my file was originally at the Queens FO, but was rerouted to NYC office as Queens FO is having trouble with their facilities ( I know this is true as my partners citizenship case was also rerouted from Queens to NYC)

2) As of yesterday my file was "in transit" from the file room to the supervisor, he explained that there are 8 floors with file rooms so it's hard to determine which room/floor my file was on but it's now on its way to the supervisor and from there will be assigned accordingly

3) He went away to speak to this supervisor and she also told him that my case had not come to her yet - but since it's in transit the tough part is done and it's just a case of waiting now for it to be assigned and for them to review and decide to contact me for interview or however they decide to proceed

4) I asked what he recommends is the best time frame to wait before getting in touch again if I don't hear anything, he said wait 3-4 weeks.

5) I did ask if KCC had sent my file, at first he didn't understand and repeated that NYC has my file, I agreed with him but explained I'm referring to the ds260 file from KCC - to which he said he doesn't have access to check this - I don't know if he was right or wrong but I figured I can ask KCC myself so I didn't want to argue with him.

He also said regarding the security clearance qu, that he can't see this info, all he can tell is what he has told me

As this was my first info pass I couldn't tell if he was giving me all the info he possibly could but still I know a little more now than I did yesterday..hopefully I hear from them soon!

Just left the info pass appt..so the officer seemed like he wanted to help which was already a better start than my previous visit. I had my list of questions ready (thanks Simon) and we went through them, he was aware that the DV based applications are time sensitive and as it had been 3 months he asked me to sit tight and he went to make a call to find out what was going on..he also asked if I haven't been interviewed yet to which I said no and that's what I'm here to find out if there is any reason for that

1) That my file was originally at the Queens FO, but was rerouted to NYC office as Queens FO is having trouble with their facilities ( I know this is true as my partners citizenship case was also rerouted from Queens to NYC)

2) As of yesterday my file was "in transit" from the file room to the supervisor, he explained that there are 8 floors with file rooms so it's hard to determine which room/floor my file was on but it's now on its way to the supervisor and from there will be assigned accordingly

3) He went away to speak to this supervisor and she also told him that my case had not come to her yet - but since it's in transit the tough part is done and it's just a case of waiting now for it to be assigned and for them to review and decide to contact me for interview or however they decide to proceed

4) I asked what he recommends is the best time frame to wait before getting in touch again if I don't hear anything, he said wait 3-4 weeks.

5) I did ask if KCC had sent my file, at first he didn't understand and repeated that NYC has my file, I agreed with him but explained I'm referring to the ds260 file from KCC - to which he said he doesn't have access to check this - I don't know if he was right or wrong but I figured I can ask KCC myself so I didn't want to argue with him.

He also said regarding the security clearance qu, that he can't see this info, all he can tell is what he has told me

As this was my first info pass I couldn't tell if he was giving me all the info he possibly could but still I know a little more now than I did yesterday..hopefully I hear from them soon!

Sounds like it went well. I wouldn't be surprised if your visit nudges the system and you get the appointment soon.

At my info pass the lady told me about my clearance and my KCC file - she could see both in the system, although she did mention she had better system access than most because she was a "senior".

Your visit most likely has given your case some sort of needed nudge, so I wouldn't be surprised if your IL shows up shortly. However, considering how difficult it is to get an INFOPASS appointment, I suggest you go back online and book something now for mid to late February just in case. If the IL show up before that date, you can always go back and cancel the appointment.

Sounds like it went well. I wouldn't be surprised if your visit nudges the system and you get the appointment soon.

At my info pass the lady told me about my clearance and my KCC file - she could see both in the system, although she did mention she had better system access than most because she was a "senior".
Your visit most likely has given your case some sort of needed nudge, so I wouldn't be surprised if your IL shows up shortly. However, considering how difficult it is to get an INFOPASS appointment, I suggest you go back online and book something now for mid to late February just in case. If the IL show up before that date, you can always go back and cancel the appointment.

Hopefully you are both right and this visit will cause the letter to be sent out or at least create some sort of movement in their system - when he said your file was at one office and then was sent here, first thing that came to me was oh God it's gotten lost in transit! Im a worrier. I tried to get an infopass when I got in but there is nothing in the system for now..I will keep checking. Thanks Mom and Simon for your help!

I'm just glad that 5.30AM wake up was worth it, the snooze/go away button was so tempting but I stayed strong :D

I had my infopass today , the FO told me they already received my case and it pending for interview , she told me i should get the IL in couple of weeks she couldn't say exactly when.
anyway i scheduled new infopass hope i won't need it.

I had my infopass today , the FO told me they already received my case and it pending for interview , she told me i should get the IL in couple of weeks she couldn't say exactly when.
anyway i scheduled new infopass hope i won't need it.

You're definitely on track, fingers crossed for you.

If you're already fully committed to processing AOS, there's nothing stopping you from making the payment now.
Thanks, I was waiting because, I thought may be this is a high CN number for asia ( 68**). Also, is there a time frame of validity for the medical report? If I get the report ready now, will it be valid when I apply in July/Aug? Any suggestions?
I am in OPT currently which is valid till July 2015, but I will have to do OPT extension around late APril/ May. Since my Num is AS 67**, I am confused if I should prepare to extend my OPT or not?
Can we simultaneously file for OPT and AOS?

Still waiting for IL...(2015EU00007XXX)
Called KCC last week to see if the FO has requested my file and they told me they have send the file beginning of December to the FO.
I got an infopass for February. Before I made the appointment I called USCIS and was let known that DV cases are not expedited and it could take anywhere between 9-12 months for the AOS. So I wonder what to tell the FO at the infopass appointment if they going the handle the case the same way. Any thoughts? Are DV cases supposed to be expedited? I know there is still plenty of time till September but all the waiting...