• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Jeremy-Renner.gif

I hope this is what happened today with AimLK and OC_EMS.

Helllllooo friends!!! You are all so wonderful thinking about us! We got it!!!!!

Had a lovely chat with EMS but I couldn't say goodbye as our daughter was about to crack it big time so I don't know EMS' result.

Ok so I have to say it was a bit of a let down and far more relaxed that what we expected (and believe me we were not relaxed - EMS may tell you we looked like a couple of kids going into an exam or something). I was so hot after I carried Our daughter from the domain car park I thought I'd faint!

I know that I am repeating the process here but I thought id put it all in so its all in context.

Security was a breeze and everybody friendly- have your passports ready for id as you go through (all applicants). Go to the loo before hand as there are no restrooms from there onwards. Which of course I realised after I went through security so had to loop back.

When you get to the actual consulate you take a ticket and wait. You are then called to the window and hand over the papers. No explaining just hand them over. The lovely lady said 'have you completed the checklist?' and I almost died cause we used it to prepare but didn't actually print it out and fill it in. She must have seen the look on my face cause she said 'it's ok I can do it'.

You then are sent to the cashiers window to pay the fee. If you pay by credit card its charged in US dollars so be prepared for a bad exchange rate and foreign txn fees (this would have been a fair bit cause there was three of us). Otherwise it's cash (AUD) and no eftpos.

You then wait and are called to the interview window (different person to the one who collects the docs). She looked though the docs and read our medical stuff. Then asked 'do you have 12 years of schooling?' 'What do you do for work?' 'How long have you worked for the company?' ' what job will get in the USA?' 'When do you plan to move?'

She then handed us the docs back and said 'your visa will be in the mail in a week or so' AND THAT WAS IT!!

My only real advice is when they give your docs back check them as we didn't get some originals back. So I will see if they post them if not I will have to get births deaths and marriages to issue us again.

Hope your result was positive @OC_EMS and flight home was good!!

Also congrats to those who got their 2ndNL ;) yay @SuicideBlonde!!!!

BRILLIANT @AimLK!!!! What fantastic news and thank you for the detailed write up.

I've updated our spreadsheet to reflect Aim's success today and to add SydSteve.

@AimLK YAY!!!! So happy for you all! Wow it sounds like it was a breeze! what a relief :) So when's the big move for you?

I hope EMS went just as well!

Hey so we think my husband will move early jan and and we will follow mid February. We need to go before mid March as our medical expires then. I would pack this house tomorrow if I could

EMS had a 4ish pm flight so she may just be getting home if she couldn't make an earlier flight...

Fantastic Aim, congratulations!!! Thanks for the summary of your interview, every bit of info helps. Not long till you go, all the best with packing up your life before the big move!

WHOOOHOOOOO Congrats @AimLK !!!! I'm so happy for you. Now you can start the stress of packing/moving lol

And thanks so much for giving a run down of the interview. Did they ask you any follow up questions to your answers, or were they happy with just a simple short response?

Now we've just got to wait back for the good news from @OC_EMS

Jeremy-Renner.gif

I hope this is what happened today with AimLK and OC_EMS.

Howdy all, Sorry for the delay.
What a buzz to see so many people thinking of and wondering how all went. THANK YOU ALL!

Emily that is EXACTLY how I reacted lol

In short, I got it! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Big sooky me even shed a tear when she told me I had been appoved

Great to see the thumbs up from AimLK as you guys departed. A good day for team OC!

My experience was identical to Aimlk's up to submitting my documents. I did have a problem sliding my file into the box at the window as my file was too thick so had to do it in stages. Plastic sleeves would have been helpful inside the plastic box I had which they didnt want.

The interview was interesting and I couldnt help but think the CO was throwing a couple of curve balls my way.
She asked me what my daily duties were and after responding she suggested that my work was more a 'sample tech' which
a) I wasnt and
b) that job did not qualify under the Onet.
I was very quick to clarify the difference and adamant that I did indeed fall into the description I was applying under. I directed her to my job descriptions in contracts and she obviously was satisfied.

My advise is to stay as confident as possible.
Clearly if I hadnt have known my stuff I would have stumbled and she would have picked up on that immediately.

The other curve ball was that I was married to a US guy eons ago. Something stupid we did at 18yrs old and it never worked out. We never maintained contact and to be honest Id kind of forgotten about until the DS260, so sought and now have a divorce.
The CO asked me why I just didnt get him to sponsor me (knowing full well we werent living together). I told her I wanted to apply on my own merits and that I was not eligible to apply via marriage. She seemed happy with that response.

When I told her how many years I had entered the DV she said 'wow thats the most Ive heard of'. I think she may have felt a little sorry for me, so perhaps that helped. lol

I had as many documents as I could muster to verify my employment.
I was rather concerned as none of the contracts were originals as they had requested, just copies and copies of copies. Realistically there was no way of obtaining the originals as the company would not release them, thats if they even had them on file which I doubt. Clearly it wasnt an issue.

Below is what I presented to apply via work experience:

- 3 x Contracts spanning over 6 years with job description + cover emails
- original photo ID card issued by employer
- 2 x statements of employment with job duties listed.
- random bank statements 1 from each job showing salary deposits from employer
- current bank statement
- Certificates with national training recognition.
- technical drawings pertaining to my work
- photos showing me at work
- My resume

Quite frankly the CO didnt care less if I had been doing the job for 22 years. All she wanted to see was 2 year of the past 5!
She only looked at the 2 most recent contracts which ticked the 2 year mark. She looked at NOTHING else much to my disappointment.

Simon you were soooooooo correct! As you mentioned to me in a PM:
'Remember you are only looking to prove 2 things.
1. That your experience is in a job that matches their requirements according to O*Net.
2. That you have performed at least 2 years at that level within the last 5 years.'

So there you have it peeps. If anyone has any Q's please feel free to ask.

It seems the the majority of our team are applying via education and from where I sit there is no need to sweat it. Just handing over that certificate is all they want.
Makes me regret not hanging at school a little longer but this process has been a valuable one for me in many ways with an outstanding result. It seems very surreal I guess mainly because it feels like Ive been chasing the rainbow for soooooo many years. Hard to believe I have that pot of gold in my hands. Well almost. Getting my passport back and the green card will be nice and confirming.

Ill probably head off as soon as I can get my sisters dog (who Ive been caring for since she passed away 20 months ago) to my sister in NZ.
I have my car in SF so will collect and then will head to Utah and just ski for the winter. I need some time to hang and play then see what happens.

Simon, if you havent found Martha Bros coffee yet Id love to treat you. Thanks bud for all your help. Words can hardly express.

Susie and Mom, although Ive not communicated much with you guys thank you both for your continuing support and invaluable input.

AND thank you team for your undying support, patience and genuine caring which has been a god send. In all honesty people like you all restore my faith in human nature! Emily..... love your humor and a big thanks for the spread sheet.

Jesus this sounds like and Oscar award speech. lol

Im looking forward to the camping trip which we seriously need to do come hell or high water!

Go get em team OC! You all rock and all deserve;)

Deb if you want to call me feel free anytime.

Last edited:
Congratulations @AimLK and @OC_EMS. Wishing you guys a stress free relocation process and a great life in the US!

A little tongue in cheek here - you weren't granted permanent residency on Nov 25th, what you were given is the opportunity to enter the U.S. and 'apply' for permanent residency. :p Until you enter and are processed at the POE, you haven't been granted a PR status. Yeah I know it's only a matter of processing but I couldn't help but notice the comment on @OC_EMS signature about being granted permanent residency on Nov. 25th :rolleyes:

Congratulations @AimLK and @OC_EMS. Wishing you guys a stress free relocation process and a great life in the US!

A little tongue in cheek here - you weren't granted permanent residency on Nov 25th, what you were given is the opportunity to enter the U.S. and 'apply' for permanent residency. :p Until you enter and are processed at the POE, you haven't been granted a PR status. Yeah I know it's only a matter of processing but I couldn't help but notice the comment on @OC_EMS signature about being granted permanent residency on Nov. 25th :rolleyes:

Mom you are so onto it! lol
How very true. Duly noted and appropriately updated. Just A little ahead of myself ;)with the excitement.:D
AND thanks so much for the well wishes:D

Awesome news from EMS and Aim!!!

An anti climax is exactly what it should be like and whilst it might be tempting to just wing it, it is important that you feel confident which the preparation will ensure.

Loved the Oscar speech EMs and yeah, give me a shout when you come for the car.