• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

The preparation of Green card takes about two weeks.
Yes you can get back to your country anytime you want after you activate your status at port of entry.
But i don't think it is possible to stay out of US more than six months.
Thank u . so how long is this process ? And yes what happens during interview?? I meant questions they asked?? And who really take our interview?

Thank u . so how long is this process ? And yes what happens during interview?? I meant questions they asked?? And who really take our interview?
Once your case number becomes current and get 2NL, you will have around six weeks to prepare your documents.
There are different types of interview experiences in this forum, from which you can learn a lot. Please use "search" butter and run "interview" search to find the detailed experiences.

The preparation of Green card takes about two weeks.
Yes you can get back to your country anytime you want after you activate your status at port of entry.
But i don't think it is possible to stay out of US more than six months.

This information is incorrect. The physical green card typically takes 4-8 weeks. However your visa becomes a temporary green card once stamped for entry so you don't need to wait for the plastic card. You can stay out for up to a year, however expect more questioning after 6 months. Also your time for citizenship resets if you are out longer than 6 months.

Can one expect to be asked for proof of funds on the port entry to the US ? Let's say, an applicant has sufficient funds to show at their visa interview, gets a visa and then decides to purchase a real estate property in their home country as an investment before entering the US. How likely are they to be asked to proof of funds again at the entry to the US ? Would that be an issue ?

Can one expect to be asked for proof of funds on the port entry to the US ? Let's say, an applicant has sufficient funds to show at their visa interview, gets a visa and then decides to purchase a real estate property in their home country as an investment before entering the US. How likely are they to be asked to proof of funds again at the entry to the US ? Would that be an issue ?

Proof of fund is not requested at the POE.

This information is incorrect. The physical green card typically takes 4-8 weeks. However your visa becomes a temporary green card once stamped for entry so you don't need to wait for the plastic card. You can stay out for up to a year, however expect more questioning after 6 months. Also your time for citizenship resets if you are out longer than 6 months.

here is the reply posted by Britsimon for how long the preparation of Green Card takes. He said 2-4 weeks.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2015-selectees-from-ghana.320670/page-7

OK, ....
You must enter the USA within that 6 months.....
You enter the States, pay your Green Card fee and the Green Card itself gets sent to you within a few weeks (generally 2 to 4 weeks).

Last edited:
here is the reply posted ny @Britsimon for how long the preparation of Green Card takes. He said 2-4 weeks.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2015-selectees-from-ghana.320670/page-7

If you're doing AOS then yes it is shorter. If you come in through a POE after consular processing it is 4-8 weeks.
Trust me, I have actually done this, not just read about it...though if you read a few more posts than britsimon for people who have landed in the past few months (britsimon did AOS remember) you'll see most of them report about 4 weeks. It seems to get busier around year end and then it takes a bit longer.

So what's about relation between CN and cut off no. actually?? For asia it said 4991 bt my CN exceeds it is 74** .... What does this mean??

So what's about relation between CN and cut off no. actually?? For asia it said 4991 bt my CN exceeds it is 74** .... What does this mean??

It simply means your case will become current only when the VB shows the cut off number to be above above your 74xx CN.

could some please tell me if you are thinking about health care insurance as a newcomers there. I am having so much stress when it comes to this issue. My number will be current in January, and time is flying so fast. What should we do guys, as soon as we arrive there, do I have to look for a job that covers insurance for me and my family or do I have to pay on my own, what will happen if we get sick and we are not covered.... please help.

positive comments only...

Anyone (preferably not a relative though) who is competent in both English and the language of the document can do the translation provided the translation is done word for word, contains a signed attestation at the bottom of the document that the translator is competent in both languages; or the translated document is accompanied by a signed affidavit attesting to the competency of the translation - this 2nd option is what I would recommend for the CP applicants. A sample affidavit can be found in one of the links below:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter4-14.html

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/affidavit-document-english-translation.html

Thank you very much Sm1smom for your professional response. It is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.
Much appreciated.

Hi Daphane,
Don't complicate things for your self and add another layer of doubt and stress, use this website https://www.rev.com it is fantastic everything will be done online plus they're certified USCIS https://www.rev.com/translation/faq?Type=Certified I used it for all my document the turnaround for the translation is less than 24h.
I highly recommended all my documents were accepted by the consulate.
Thanks
Thanks for your response Wissamo.
I checked out this website you recommended. One question though. In their website they say they send you the translation as a PDF document. Don't you need the original stamped translation to present to the embassy? How did you proceed in your case?
Also, in your case, did the translator have to sign/stamp on the non-English document which they translated?

Last edited:
If you're doing AOS then yes it is shorter. If you come in through a POE after consular processing it is 4-8 weeks.
Trust me, I have actually done this, not just read about it...though if you read a few more posts than britsimon for people who have landed in the past few months (britsimon did AOS remember) you'll see most of them report about 4 weeks. It seems to get busier around year end and then it takes a bit longer.
Ok. I understand.
But @Britsimon replied (2-4 weeks) for someone who had asked for entry through POE, and I haven't seen anyone correcting him.

Lol at you guys about the Green Card. Really this is going to sound odd, but 99 times out of 100 the time it takes to get the Green Card is completely unimportant. The only time you should even care is once something appears to have gone wrong, which I totally agree would NOT be after 4 weeks (worry after 8 to 10 weeks).

So forget the Green Card. Focus on getting the SSN which is much more critical to a new immigrant and gets delayed much more often while people assume it will automatically arrive (based on selecting that option).

"Background checks"
Checking photos and details against other entries (current and previous years)
and....

perhaps other things. But of course - we can only guess. They don't publish the specifics. In a few months time (before May 5) DV2015 DS260 processing will probably last 2 to 3 weeks.
hi britsmon i am dv2015 winner in dv 2014 i applied as married b/c at that time i fill with my girlfrind and we thought we will marry but we diidn't win. this year dv2015 i fill as single b/c i decided to marry my girl friend next year and i won. so is there any problem in background check or i am safe?

Good Afternoon,
Two questions if I may,
1. In view of the 16000 cut off for December in Europe can I start to feel confident I will make interview (CN EU39xxx)?
2. Could you hazard a guess as to the possible month of my interview (if ever)?
Thank you,
Annanz

Hi Friends
It is pleasure to get this forum. I was waiting for the 2nl send DS on 23rd June and current for Nov. Case No. AS25xx. I am worried about the process of getting police certificate from foreign countries. I was in England for graduate study in 2009. I stayed there for 10 month and back to home country for around 2 month for thesis and back to England for 7 month only. Now I am in home country since 2011. Now I am confused that do I need police certificate from England, since the instruction said for 1 year. If I need to have this certificate, then what is the process to get that. I will be greatful for your reply especially from brits.,susie,mom... and others. Thanks

hi britsmon i am dv2015 winner in dv 2014 i applied as married b/c at that time i fill with my girlfrind and we thought we will marry but we diidn't win. this year dv2015 i fill as single b/c i decided to marry my girl friend next year and i won. so is there any problem in background check or i am safe?

That is the sort of thing I would expect them to catch. It doesn't mean you will be disqualified, but I would expect them to ask you about the previous entry.

Hi Friends
It is pleasure to get this forum. I was waiting for the 2nl send DS on 23rd June and current for Nov. Case No. AS25xx. I am worried about the process of getting police certificate from foreign countries. I was in England for graduate study in 2009. I stayed there for 10 month and back to home country for around 2 month for thesis and back to England for 7 month only. Now I am in home country since 2011. Now I am confused that do I need police certificate from England, since the instruction said for 1 year. If I need to have this certificate, then what is the process to get that. I will be greatful for your reply especially from brits.,susie,mom... and others. Thanks

Technically, you don't need the UK PCC, however it is easy to obtain so you might want to get it anyway. Instructions are on the reciprocity page for the UK.