• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

EmilyW has a nice list of 29 people in this forum who are progressing towards their diversity visa. Out of the total number of applicants wishing to proceed I wonder what percentage our 29 make up?

I'm curious because a few pages back in this forum connectedspace was speculating on a 0.42 to 0.52 density rate which I interpreted to mean that approximately half of all applicants intend to proceed with their interview and visa. So assuming that density range.. with 3499 selectees in Oceania 2015 that would mean that 1470 to 1819 applicants wish to proceed towards a visa. (0.42 * 3499 and 0.52*3499)

I would have thought that most people wishing to proceed with their visa would do at least some research and would probably have come across this forum via google searches etc.. but with only 29 people in the list that means only 1.6% to 2% (29/1819 and 29/1470) of all applicants wishing to proceed have used and posted their CN in this forum. It seems low.

Last edited:
EmilyW has a nice list of 29 people in this forum who are progressing towards their diversity visa. Out of the total number of applicants wishing to proceed I wonder what percentage our 29 make up?

I'm curious because a few pages back in this forum connectedspace was speculating on a 0.42 to 0.52 density rate which I interpreted to mean that approximately half of all applicants intend to proceed with their interview and visa. So assuming that density range.. with 3499 selectees in Oceania 2015 that would mean that 1470 to 1819 applicants which to proceed towards a visa. (0.42 * 3499 and 0.52*3499)

I would have thought that most people wishing to proceed with their visa would do at least some research and would probably have come across this forum via google searches etc.. but with only 29 people in the list that means only 1.6% to 2% (29/1819 and 29/1470) of all applicants wishing to proceed have used and posted their CN in this forum. It seems low.

You're very likely to find a lot of people lurk without posting too.

But you've hit the nail on the head as to why it is very dangerous to extrapolate experiences of things like "X is never asked for at the consulate because no one here has ever reported that".

You're very likely to find a lot of people lurk without posting too.

Lots of people lurk, I was on the 2014 thread for months and absorbing all the info being posted on there. It would be great to have all 29 posting on here - the more the merrier!

I thought it was the second Tuesday..that's what I've done my planning on but it's okay if it's not then. We have started to get rid of all our stuff. It's amazing how much there is, especially with the kids. Our departure date is based around a few things, kids USA school year starts end Aug, we want to do a 4-5 week trip across the Nullabor to Perth and back via Cooper Pedy and Uluru and that's weather dependent. Leave with basically what we'll be taking to the US storing keepsakes in Melb and leaving for the US in May. When is everyone planning on leaving all going well with the interview timing and interview?

Lots of people lurk, I was on the 2014 thread for months and absorbing all the info being posted on there. It would be great to have all 29 posting on here - the more the merrier!

Yep!

It would be cool if all the lurkers could post their CN (Case Number) i.e OC000005XX or OC000012XX etc.

Our aim is by Christmas next year. We're in no rush and we'd like the kids to finish the school year here in Oz (or close to anyway).

Who is going to ship all their stuff over, and who is going to sell up and buy new ( or used) when they arrive ? We have just had a quote to ship our house lot to Canada, and its pretty expensive, although I admit the quote was still a little lower than I feared it would be. Just juggling different scenarios. If we stay in Canada until we get a green card ( Bahahahahaa !!) then its worth taking it all, but chances are we will be either coming home to NZ, or going elsewhere altogether. Just my random, non related thoughts for the evening . As you were !!

This is something I have not researched much yet. Currently we are planning on getting rid of everything and starting again. Everything is much cheaper in the USA and the cars are better too.
We are going to scan all the kids artwork and keepsakes and leave here. I'd be interested in hearing the costs of shipping stuff if people know.

If my interview is in February and I get through I will be on a plane asap. I have rented out half my house and got rid of a lot of stuff. So I can just go and leave this here to sell later. The rent covers the mortgage. I will sell next year and hopefully buy all new in US

Who is going to ship all their stuff over, and who is going to sell up and buy new ( or used) when they arrive ? We have just had a quote to ship our house lot to Canada, and its pretty expensive, although I admit the quote was still a little lower than I feared it would be. Just juggling different scenarios. If we stay in Canada until we get a green card ( Bahahahahaa !!) then its worth taking it all, but chances are we will be either coming home to NZ, or going elsewhere altogether. Just my random, non related thoughts for the evening . As you were !!

We're going to ship most of our household items to California. Most of our stuff if pretty new and hubby has lots of garage/car stuff, tools, engines etc. Our friends that made the move to the US a few years ago wished they had bought more so we're taking their advise. The cost from WA for a 20ft container is around $9k.

We are selling mostly everything, putting things we can't put with in storage with family, and taking just our clothes, computers/small electronics, some art and our dog (and my vinyl collection :p)
Considering just taking it as prepaid excess baggage (except the dog :p )
our furniture is old so easier to buy new stuff once we get there and rent an apartment and we figure we can get other belongings shipped over if we decide we want them!

I called up one of the centres in Auckland that do the immigration medicals and according to them you only need vaccinations for the following:

1) Tetatus
2) MMR
3) Chicken pox (proof of immunity)

The receptionist also mentioned that kids need Hep A/B but that comes standard now and didn't in the past for us "older" folk.
Just going off what someone posted earlier in this thread, Auckland vaccinations look to be pretty much the same as Sydney but if any of the Auckland interviewees who have received their 2nd NL can confirm this that'd be awesome.

I thought it was the second Tuesday..that's what I've done my planning on but it's okay if it's not then. We have started to get rid of all our stuff. It's amazing how much there is, especially with the kids. Our departure date is based around a few things, kids USA school year starts end Aug, we want to do a 4-5 week trip across the Nullabor to Perth and back via Cooper Pedy and Uluru and that's weather dependent. Leave with basically what we'll be taking to the US storing keepsakes in Melb and leaving for the US in May. When is everyone planning on leaving all going well with the interview timing and interview?

We have lurkers that register and many more that read as guests. Some lurker eventually do as you did and get over their shyness!

I lurked for ages!
Planning on buying a ticket pretty much as soon as I've had my interview so hopefully March/April.
Selling everything (have started that process already) and only holding onto a handful of important things which we'll ship over. Bring on NYC!!!

We will most likely be leaving mid or late January if we get a November interview and probably the same if we get December (about a month after interview ) but comes down to availability of flights on frequent flyer points (so close to having enough for one way business class :D)