• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

The requirement is very clearly defined. Here is the rule:-

9 FAM 42.33 N7 “HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION OR
EQUIVALENT”
(CT:VISA-1768; 10-31-2011)
The consular office must adjudicate the applicant’s qualifications under this
requirement. In order to register for the DV program, the alien need not prove
that this requirement is met. The applicant must, however, meet this requirement
at the time of visa application.

9 FAM 42.33 N7.1 Definitions
(CT:VISA-910; 10-23-2007)
The Department’s interpretation of the term “high school education or its
equivalent” means successful completion of a:
(1) Twelve-year course of elementary and secondary study in the United
States; or
(2) Formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to
completion of 12 years elementary or secondary education in the United
States. Because a United States high school education is sufficient in itself
to qualify a student to apply for college admission, in order for a foreign
education to be equivalent to a United States education, it should be
sufficient to allow a student to apply for college admission without further
education
. Vocational degrees that are not considered a basis for further
academic study will not be considered equivalent to United States high
school education.

The "elementary or secondary education" is key and the college admission bit.

Regarding your work experience, there are several healthcare roles that meet the requirement, and you might be able to align your role with a more favorable role. If you want to describe your role we could advise further...
I am a Dental Prosthetist. That is a dental technician who has completed a further 2.5 years of study to be able to see my own patients and design, construct and fit dentures. In the US this is a denturist, which is not even a recognizable profession in 45 of the states. The closest I come to those on the list is Orthotist/prosthetist. Which is more than adequate, as my skills are very similar. Unfortunately I don't think the officials will see it that way as I only do teeth, not other prosthesis. I think I fall through the cracks no matter which way I look.

I am a Dental Prosthetist. That is a dental technician who has completed a further 2.5 years of study to be able to see my own patients and design, construct and fit dentures. In the US this is a denturist, which is not even a recognizable profession in 45 of the states. The closest I come to those on the list is Orthotist/prosthetist. Which is more than adequate, as my skills are very similar. Unfortunately I don't think the officials will see it that way as I only do teeth, not other prosthesis. I think I fall through the cracks no matter which way I look.

Just align your role with this one and you'll be fine. Remember, the CO is NOT an expert in these roles, they are looking for you to present a convincing case. I think you are worrying for nothing. Really. It is all about how you present the role and align the skills.

http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1024.00

Just align your role with this one and you'll be fine. Remember, the CO is NOT an expert in these roles, they are looking for you to present a convincing case. I think you are worrying for nothing. Really. It is all about how you present the role and align the skills.

http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1024.00

For what its worth I agree with Britsimon.
Have a good look at Sample of reported job titles.

Thanks guys, I am so stressed about this. There have been so many issues where I have literally felt like vomiting and I just need some kind of answers which I know I wont truly get until I'm at that damn interview

Last edited:
Again, thanks guys, I think I can take my adult diapers off for a while and just hope that my charming self will convince them that America cannot do without me.

Again, thanks guys, I think I can take my adult diapers off for a while and just hope that my charming self will convince them that America cannot do without me.

atta grl! I really do hear you. I am at the stage where I have stressed enough and realizing stress doesnt help!
At the end of the day we can only work with what we have, yet in saying that it is up to us to present to the best of our ability.
I am staggered at the mounting pile of documents I have, and trust me they havent been easy to obtain. AND I know there is no guarantee I will be granted residency. In for a penny in for a pound..........Im giving it my best shot. Im sure you will too.
Hang in there and buckle your seat belt!

Deb Im #4xx so likely to have interview in Nov. Ill let you know how I go when all is done and dusted.

atta grl! I really do hear you. I am at the stage where I have stressed enough and realizing stress doesnt help!
At the end of the day we can only work with what we have, yet in saying that it is up to us to present to the best of our ability.
I am staggered at the mounting pile of documents I have, and trust me they havent been easy to obtain. AND I know there is no guarantee I will be granted residency. In for a penny in for a pound..........Im giving it my best shot. Im sure you will too.
Hang in there and buckle your seat belt!
Thanks mate. Soooo glad I found this forum. My life has been one roller coaster after another since finding out I won. Good luck to you and everyone else on here. I think that winning this is not easy, it's bloody hard work and I think we deserve to go all the way.

Thanks mate. Soooo glad I found this forum. My life has been one roller coaster after another since finding out I won. Good luck to you and everyone else on here. I think that winning this is not easy, it's bloody hard work and I think we deserve to go all the way.

Where are you globally?

Unfortunately my job is not on the list, so here I am an intelligent health care professional and I am not smart enough or skilled enough, yet someone who just has their HSC is. I can't believe that is the situation I find myself in. Without a doubt this is the most stressful thing I have ever been through.

I am sorry for this, however the instructions are also clear. Can you clarify what you understood by them before you submitted your form?

Theer was a situation last year where an Aussie girl got denied also with only 11 years, although she was working as (basically, title inflation aside) a secretary. So she was never in with a chance. I agree with britsimon that you should definitely explore further before you give up on this.

I am sorry for this, however the instructions are also clear. Can you clarify what you understood by them before you submitted your form?

Theer was a situation last year where an Aussie girl got denied also with only 11 years, although she was working as (basically, title inflation aside) a secretary. So she was never in with a chance. I agree with britsimon that you should definitely explore further before you give up on this.
Thanks to advice from others, I will align my career with one similar. Our job titles are the same and the skills are almost identical, so for all intents and purposes it should suffice.... I hope

Thanks to advice from others, I will align my career with one similar. Our job titles are almost the same and the skills are almost identical, so for all intents and purposes it should suffice.... I hope

I posted that before I saw the replies from the others, yes definitely align with what you can and try present as convincing a case as possible. Good luck.

I posted that before I saw the replies from the others, yes definitely align with what you can and try present as convincing a case as possible. Good luck.
Thanks Susie. In Australia I am called a Prosthetist, in the Onet jobs, Orthotist and Prosthetist is the profession that closely matches mine. The last job title is prothetist, and so in my world, a prosthetist is a prosthetist.

You have the wrong concept/attitude. You appear to think you will be sitting in front of someone who will look your job up on a list and tell you you are in or you're not. My point is that it is up to you to construct the case in a convincing professional way. If you do that properly, you will be approved. Turn your mindset around.

Also It seems like you missed my post above where I gave a O*Net role that describes your role much more closely than the one you keep quoting. Did you read it ? It sounds fine!

Last edited:
You have the wrong concept/attitude. You appear to think you will be sitting in front of someone who will look your job up on a list and tell you you are in or you're not. My point is that it is up to you to construct the case in a convincing professional way. If you do that properly, you will be approved. Turn your mindset around.
Thank you yes, I will definitely turn my mindset around. I had/have no idea what to expect and always tend to think of the worst case scenario. But I know my worth and given the advice and support from people here I feel much more confident. Because I didn't see my exact profession on the list, I panicked and thought it was all down to my high school education. I guess I misinterpreted a lot of things I read which didn't help me at all. So thanks for helping me clarify things.

Also It seems like you missed my post above where I gave a O*Net role that describes your role much more closely than the one you keep quoting. Did you read it ? It sounds fine!
And yes I did see your post on prosthodontist, thank you