• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2014 AOS Only - New Thread

So... I just received our IL notices for September 2nd. Bravo SF USCIS. They received my expedite notice on July 3rd. They listened patiently to my concerns for over an hour on August 1. I followed up with a detailed letter on Wednesday as well as contacting the Congressman. The net result of all that activity was they scheduled the appointment in September (I imagine at the same time as the other DV cases they are sitting on). The IL is dated 8/7 but postmarked 8/8. I also received a note (on plain paper with nothing to identify it as "official" other than the handwritten USCIS envelope) saying my interview has been scheduled. I imagine that is a follow up from the lady I met last week.

I now have 3 nail biting weeks to see if visas last until 9/2. Thanks SF USCIS. I think they will last until at least then - but it is a risk I would rather not have.

I have an Infopass booked for 9/20. I'll watch the bulletin to make sure they don't announce anything awful in that bulletin and then probably cancel that appointment. I doubt there is anything I can say or do to bring this appointment forward, so I need to accept my fate now I suppose.

You will be fine Simon, I believe you will!

So... I just received our IL notices for September 2nd. Bravo SF USCIS. They received my expedite notice on July 3rd. They listened patiently to my concerns for over an hour on August 1. I followed up with a detailed letter on Wednesday as well as contacting the Congressman. The net result of all that activity was they scheduled the appointment in September (I imagine at the same time as the other DV cases they are sitting on). The IL is dated 8/7 but postmarked 8/8. I also received a note (on plain paper with nothing to identify it as "official" other than the handwritten USCIS envelope) saying my interview has been scheduled. I imagine that is a follow up from the lady I met last week.

I now have 3 nail biting weeks to see if visas last until 9/2. Thanks SF USCIS. I think they will last until at least then - but it is a risk I would rather not have.

I have an Infopass booked for 9/20. I'll watch the bulletin to make sure they don't announce anything awful in that bulletin and then probably cancel that appointment. I doubt there is anything I can say or do to bring this appointment forward, so I need to accept my fate now I suppose.

Wish you the best and keep my fingers crossed for you and your family!

So there is a big rumor about visas lasting at the end of August.I don't think so, I believe that there will be appointments till the last day of September.

Reactions: CWH
Well I work with a really immigration lawyer who is really into these dv cases(normally they don't, but he has 8 case with mine)He always talk to the people in couple of field offices and he thinks that especially the Euro visas are still available thats why the cutoff number did not change.I believe in him but in my case I am still trying to get my finger print notice but my lawyer told me that even though I do my fingerprints tomorrow it is still not related to my interview date.
So we will see if he is right or not?

Well I work with a really immigration lawyer who is really into these dv cases(normally they don't, but he has 8 case with mine)He always talk to the people in couple of field offices and he thinks that especially the Euro visas are still available thats why the cutoff number did not change.I believe in him but in my case I am still trying to get my finger print notice but my lawyer told me that even though I do my fingerprints tomorrow it is still not related to my interview date.
So we will see if he is right or not?

I was sooooo wanting to believe your info, but then the comments about the lawyer thinks the EU visas are especially available made my heart sink. He couldn't be more wrong in his reasoning or assessment.

However, he is correct that the biometric doesn't necessarily affect the setting of your interview appointment.

I would not hire a lawyer for this type of simple process but I knew it from the day one my visa would be either last day/minute or not:) The reason I did not go back my country is because I have another case which has an approved I-140 as of yesterday from my company in Usa so everything went like I planned if this won't work we will go with the other route but my lawyer still thinks that we will be able to get it through Dv lottery.You are right about his reasoning based on a cutoff date but I believe that he doesn't like to tell me the real reason my guess is he has people who he personally knows in Immigration so he gets the inside info but he might be wrong, I just want to believe , do I have any other chance? Just hope keeps all; of us alive:)

I would not hire a lawyer for this type of simple process but I knew it from the day one my visa would be either last day/minute or not:) The reason I did not go back my country is because I have another case which has an approved I-140 as of yesterday from my company in Usa so everything went like I planned if this won't work we will go with the other route but my lawyer still thinks that we will be able to get it through Dv lottery.You are right about his reasoning based on a cutoff date but I believe that he doesn't like to tell me the real reason my guess is he has people who he personally knows in Immigration so he gets the inside info but he might be wrong, I just want to believe , do I have any other chance? Just hope keeps all; of us alive:)

Yep, I don't want to steal your hope.

If you want to see the CEAC data thread (that excludes AoS visas issued) you will see that EU is at 16k plus (16121 a couple of days ago) with around 1500 interviews scheduled in August. There are also about 1200 EU AP cases and then of course the AoS cases. Considering DV2013 had 16.5k EU visas for the year, I am surprised your lawyer is so relaxed.

Is there a specific number of available visa for EU for dv 2014?

We don't know. Some guessed that it would be similar, maybe slightly increased from last year. Considering we are already over last year, it is clear it is going higher, but how much higher, we don't know.

Thanks for the info. I can tell you one thing that you are definitely safe with september 2 appointment but can not talk about mine coz I don't believe that we can get an appointment for the first week of September, it will be a miracle.

Thanks for the info. I can tell you one thing that you are definitely safe with september 2 appointment but can not talk about mine coz I don't believe that we can get an appointment for the first week of September, it will be a miracle.

Well good luck!

Britsimon, Very best to you and your family! While certainly nerve racking, I am sure you will be fine with early September as they certainly have taken pending AOS cases into account in their final DV visa number forecast. One reason they'll be conservative in announcing final EU September numbers.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I have been reading this thread but haven't shared my story as I haven't had a lot of time between work and dealing with this nerve wrecking time. I have been on a H1B visa for the past 4 years so I was happy to finally being selected (been in the US for 13 years and "played" the DV lottery the past 7 without any luck).
My number became current in May (EU00029xxx) and my file was received at the lockbox April 23. I received my biometrics letter about a month after but walked in and got my biometrics done pretty quickly after receiving the letter. No problem at all at my field office which is in Raleigh NC. After that the waiting game began and nothing was being done. Also filed two expedite request with no results. However I did get my interview letter on July 1st. So I do believe it helped get my case/file to the front of their piles to get scheduled. My interview was on July 24th at 8:30am. I had a pretty bad cold at this time but the immigration officer (female) was very nice. We chatted a bit at the beginning and then she asked me to confirm my birth date, mailing address, my mom and dad's names and we went over the questions on the I485 (yes/no questions). That's it, didn't ask for anything else, no HS diploma, no employment verification letter, no W2 etc. I had everything with me but ended up not needing it. It lasted about 20 minutes, I got there around 7:45 and was back in my car at 8:25.
I asked the officer about my file from KCC and she was clueless. I had called KCC many times before my interview to inquire if uscis had requested it already but they did not. She said she will confirm and I will hear something within 30 days. She said she would pull my visa at that time to make sure there was still one available. I called KCC back once I got to the car and it turns out my file was sent to my field office on July 17th. Uscis MUST request this from KCC - KCC will not just send your file when it becomes current and you can also not initiate this transfer.
My case status changed to card production on the 25th one day after my interview and I received my greencard on August 2nd. After being here for so long, it was one of the best feelings. I was waiting at my mailbox for the mailman that day (they sent you a tracking number once the greencard ships). :)
I stressed out like everyone else in this forum so that I hope everything will work out for everyone! If anyone wants more detail about my case/experience, let me know. I'd be happy to share and help where I can. Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Here is my complete AOS experience. I am very grateful to this forum - particularly to Simon, Susie, Mom, Vladek, Rafikbo, Sloner... Besides the practical help and advises from you - it was also fun. I have my green card now - but still can't part from you guys. Best wishes to everybody in this forum!

I am DV 2014 selectee main applicant . My case number is EU34XXX.
I am E2 visa derivative. We decided to go for AOS.
Current in July.

Sent AOS package to Chicago
5/14

Acceptance email
5/22

Check Cashed
5/22

Notice of Action (NOA) I-797 letters in the mail
5/27

Bio Letter
5/29

Bio date
6/20

Bio walk in
6/10

Request - Level 2 officer
07/07

Called to USCIS phone # 1-800-375-5283 . Got Agent on the line. Asked for level 2 officer. On hold for 3 hours. Explained DV urgency. He said he will send a request to my FO.

Expedite request - USCIS agent
07/08

Called to USCIS phone # 1-800-375-5283. Got Agent on the line. Explained DV urgency. Asked for expedite request. Emergency category “sunset Timing Issue”. She said: You will get a response from your FO within 5 business days.

Interview letter.
Response on Request of 07/07.
Response on expedite request of 07/08.
07/15

Received response letter from my FO on my request of 07/07, response letter on my expedite request of 07/08 and 4 Interview Letters – me , my husband and 2 kids.
Response letter is stating that they received my requests and Interview is scheduled.
Interview letter is giving date 7/28 and time. Interview times are separate for each family member.

Preparation to the interview.
- Reading interview experience on this forum.
- Made a binder of original documents sent with I-485 packages. We are 4 applicants – so we have four I-485 packages. At the interview we may be asked for originals. For a better navigation thru the pile of documents - I made a binder of original documents sent with I-485. I placed each document into a clear sheet protector and then into the binder. I also stuck labels to separate Birth certificates, Financials, Education etc.

Called to KCC about my file sent to FO.
07/25

From this forum I know that it is crucially important for the KCC file to arrive to the Field Office prior the interview.
I called to KCC asking if my file has been sent to my FO. I was told that it was sent to my Field Office on 06/25. I also asked if the file is e-fail or paper. She said paper.

Interview
07/28

Arrived 30 minutes before Interview time. Went thru security – same as in airport. No sharp items, no liquids. Phones, tablets, laptops area allowed. Checked in with the front office and were told to proceed to the right and wait there to be called.
Walked into a spacious hall with 50-60 peoples in the chairs like in the movie theater, ~10 windows and the Door. Each window has a chair in front and a clerk behind. Not sure what kind of business they conduct. Could be Infopass.

Our attention is on the Door. Time to time it would get open. Immigration Officer would appear and invite G-number(the number assigned by front office) into his office. After 40 minutes of waiting the Door opened again. Immigration officer called our four numbers. We rushed to the Door. She told the kids to stay in the waiting area (thankfully I had my mom in the company to watch them). Following IO we walked into a hallway with the offices on both sides. Her office was somewhere in the back.

IO told us to raise hands. She asked our names, date of birth, ID. In front of her she had our I-485 folders we sent to Chicago. The folders were rearranged. Some pages were marked. Pages were stapled at the top. She said that she didn’t have time to review. She looked at “current USCIS status” box of my I-485 stating that I am E2 derivative. IO: Are you applying for Immigration from E2? Me: No, I am DV lottery winner. IO: O-o-o, this is so rare to win.

Then she asked us standard I-485 questions: been arrested, been reported etc. The questions were addressed to both of us at the same time. Accordingly we replied ‘No’ together at the same time. She was asking and making remarks on mine and my husband I-485. Then she also put her remarks on the kids I-485. Then she said that our application has been granted. She gave us 4 letters with date 07/28/14 on the top– one per each application. The letter stated that application is “thoroughly reviewed”, we are eligible “for status as a lawful permanent resident”. “This letter indicates your classification and the date as of which you became a lawful permanent resident of United States. At this time the Service is processing your permanent resident card, Form I-551.”.

The whole interview took about 20 minutes – 5-8 minutes of interview itself. The rest of the time IO was struggling to get access to their system, complaining that it is Monday and the system is slow. Printer also was not very cooperative – paper got jammed. Before letting us go she said that everything is ok and she doesn’t want to take our time. She said that we will receive letters within 10 days. I think she meant welcome letters. She said that 3 days after we receive the letters- the green cards will arrive in the mail. She said to watch our mail box so the cards will not get lost.

Right after the interview I checked my case status. It was still Acceptance. One Hour later it turned to Card Document Production saying that we ordered your card. Two hours later it turned to Decision stating that “On July 28, 2014, we mailed you a notice that we had registered this customer's new permanent resident status.”.

Welcome Letters .
07/31

Received Welcome letters. Case status is still Decision.
Checked case status next day. It changed to was CPO “ we mailed you cards”.

Green cards
08/02

Green cards came in Priority Mail. Case status changed to “your new card was delivered “.

• She thought there would be plenty of visas for all - I showed her printouts that explain even USCIS now are saying visas will be exhausted at the end of the year.

Hey Britsimon! Can you post the link to this printout?

The letter of employment in my application package is dated April 28th. Given that my interview is scheduled for August 28th, do you think the letter is too old? Should I get a new one?

It has been more than 2 weeks after interview. Unlike most of people, my status is still no decision made. Had an infopass yesterday but just being told to wait. KCC already sent my file to FO on June 11. Terrible feeling. is it weird?

It has been more than 2 weeks after interview. Unlike most of people, my status is still no decision made. Had an infopass yesterday but just being told to wait. KCC already sent my file to FO on June 11. Terrible feeling. is it weird?

It sounds like they just don't know what they are doing. I think your Infopass could move it along. Book another infopass now for a couple of weeks and if it gets to that point we can discuss how to talk this through with the FO.