Wrong Name in the Visa

pj49001

I am on H1B and my first name and last name is printed in the Surname column and the first name column has FNU in the Visa. All other documents including Passport is having the correct format. What is the corrective action plan?.
Any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by pj49001
I am on H1B and my first name and last name is printed in the Surname column and the first name column has FNU in the Visa. All other documents including Passport is having the correct format. What is the corrective action plan?.
Any help is appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Your message is not clear where your visa is issued.
at a consular post or revalidated at Wash. DC?what is FNU?
If visa is revlidated at DC,
You can send it for correction.
Follow the path:http://www.travel.state.gov/revalcor.html.

This was a first time stamping at Chennai. Waht is the proceedings to get this corrected and if so how long will it take and has anyone done this?

I think you need to contact the consulate(or revalidation post) to correct this. Correction is not really a problem. Go with good proof of what your first-name is, and what your last-name is(like birthcertificate, degree certificates, etc.,)

Try to correct it, before you come over, if this is first-time stamping, as it is going to be a whole lot more of paperwork if you do it later.

Also, its better even for the first-entry in the immigration counter.

Is it spelled right in your other documents(I-797 h-1approval, etc.,)

U Have to sent the Passport , to the same post which has issued visa to you.
You have to sent within 30 days from the date of stamping, otherwise, u will have to pay visa charges once again, if the consulagte is chennai, contact immediately, tts services, they will guide you.
Take the photocopy of the visa, with the pasport, and other documents u r submitting,
all the best

Unfortunately or Fortunately I am already in US and never had any issue at the entry Port. But DMV people highlighted this issue when I was transferring my license.
What will the path now.

Hi Gurus

I am sorry to deviate different issue. I desperately need all gurus advice on this problem.One of my friend recently came to US on H1B visa. His name is correct in I797, visa stamp and all H1B related docs. When he applied for SSN, he got wrong name on SSN. When he intimate SSN authorities they informed him that they got this name (wrongly speelled name) from USCIS. Whever H1B visa related docs he has are with correct name. I am not understaning from where these SSN guys get this name. He do not understand what to do? Any of you guys face like this problem? I appreciate if you guys advice me what measures to take rectify this? Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I too am facing the problem with FNU in my name. Hey, pj49001 could you find a solution for that. I read somewhere that one needs to apply with I-824 form,
but don't know the exact procedure.
How can I contact pj49001?
Any help highly appreciated,

Dear All,

I am on F-1 visa and I have posted this message over here hoping to find some solution to the problem of FNU.

I have a FNU on my visa and on my I-94 as a result of the first name being blank on my passport. The social security office also issued me the SSN with a FNU.

I have now got a new passport with the name correctly split up. The visa still remains in the old passport and it will stay valid. But I want to get it corrected in my visa so that I can get it changed with the social security office.

Can anyone please let me know if that is possible for me to do it over here in US? Or can I get it done in India when I go there sometime? Pls let me know the details on how to go about correcting it on my visa.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Harsha Rao

Dear All,

I am also facing the same problem last name and first name interchanged in my Visa. NJ dmv is not issueing the DL. I am a NJ resident now (before CA), but I have CA DL expires only only in 2009.

One of my friend suggested we could correct this visa wrong name situation when we apply for visa stamping next time (by filling out 156 form correcty online).

Again this is at your own risk.

Any other solutions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The local immigration office will not change the name on the visa. Or thats what they told me. You will have to do it at the US consulate office that issued you to the visa. You might have to apply for the visa again and pay all the required fees.