working with EAD without social security number. Is it even possible?

wouldliketoknow

Registered Users (C)
I know it is not a direct I-485 question, but maybe somebody had a similar experience and actually knows the answer...

Has anybody have experience working with EAD and not having social security number? Is it even possible? I would appreciate any input. My wife just got her EAD, but she doesn't have social security number. How does it work?

Get SSN

Take the EAD card to the local Social security Administration office and they will give you the SSN.
You do need an SSN to be able to work.

* This is my personal view - Please consult your immigration attorney for more details.

She doen not have to wait till SSN card comes. Once she applies for it,
it is OK to start working, just show the evidence to the employer.

Wow, that WAS the place to post! Thanks everybody so much! Unitednations, you are as always with the most detailed information.
Everybody, really useful. Thanks!

wouldliketoknow said:
I know it is not a direct I-485 question, but maybe somebody had a similar experience and actually knows the answer...

Has anybody have experience working with EAD and not having social security number? Is it even possible? I would appreciate any input. My wife just got her EAD, but she doesn't have social security number. How does it work?

SSN is not mandatory for starting to work. But eventually you have to obtain it for the purpose of paying tax. If you are employed, your payroll won't start without SSN. If you are doing small business, you have to obtain it before you pay your first quarterly estimated tax.

The point is: WHY YOUR WIFE DOESN'T HAVE A SS#?????, I don't understand why, It's so simple to get one, go to ANY Social Secuirity office and get one in a few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!