Working permit in US help.

fantomknight

Registered Users (C)
Please spend a few mins to tell me what to do:
I was in US under F1 visa (student visa). After that I got married with a US citizen and I've already applied for the change of status to PR (I-485 Package: I-130,I-485,Medical Exam, etc w/o applying for I-765 - work permit). Right now I just finished the fingerprint last month and still waiting for the interview call.

The problem is this week I will have a job interview. If I pass it, will I be able to work in US while waiting for the Greencard interview? I also applied the I-765 together with I-485 reciept yesterday just in case. Any comments, advice on my being able to work now ??? or just simply go ahead tell the hiring manager of the company my situation, they wil have a way for me to work there while waiting?

Please advice I really need to work now to help pay bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot work until USCIS approves your I-765 (EAD) application. You may check online on USCIS web site the status of your application. Also any law abiding company would not offer employment without work authorization. You will have to wait till approval of your EAD application.

fantomknight said:
Please spend a few mins to tell me what to do:
I was in US under F1 visa (student visa). After that I got married with a US citizen and I've already applied for the change of status to PR (I-485 Package: I-130,I-485,Medical Exam, etc w/o applying for I-765 - work permit). Right now I just finished the fingerprint last month and still waiting for the interview call.

The problem is this week I will have a job interview. If I pass it, will I be able to work in US while waiting for the Greencard interview? I also applied the I-765 together with I-485 reciept yesterday just in case. Any comments, advice on my being able to work now ??? or just simply go ahead tell the hiring manager of the company my situation, they wil have a way for me to work there while waiting?

Please advice I really need to work now to help pay bills.

Reading the I-9 form I found this

I received my GC and had to update my I-9 form with my employer, and I found something in the form that made me think a lot regarding authorization to work and receipt notice. This may be a good question for our experts in the forum.

In the form I-9, Section 2 - Employer, 2nd paragraph, says "(...) If employees are authorized to work, but are unable to present the required document(s) within three business days, they must present a receipt for the application of the document(s) within three business days and the actual document(s) within ninety (90) days. (...)" does anyone has a more in-depth knowledge of what exactly this means? for me I would interpret it as I can show them a receipt for I-765 and within 90 days the actual card (which can be obtained at the local office if 90 days have passed and no EAD has been received).

Have a great day
AJVM