Working Part-time

NarayanP

My company has applied for my I-140 and I expect that to be approved in the next 2 months. My questions are 1) Can I work part-time now ( before I-140 is approved) and 2)Can I work part-time once I-140 is approved but I-485 is under process. Thanks much

NarayanP said:
My company has applied for my I-140 and I expect that to be approved in the next 2 months. My questions are 1) Can I work part-time now ( before I-140 is approved) and 2)Can I work part-time once I-140 is approved but I-485 is under process. Thanks much

I am not sure if you can do that even with I-140 approved. You will be on H1 until you get your EAD. Aren't you suppose to work fulltime when you are on H1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring05 - You are right.

As long as an individual is bound by the H1 Visa, one cannot work part time. Actually, you can work any number of hours/week with the employer who holds your H1, but CANNOT work elsewhere.

If I confused you, then here is the explanation:
One would choose to work for part time, only if they have something else lined up for the "rest of the time", with someone other than the employer who holds the H1. And working for multiple employers on H1 is violating the H1 clause.
If you choose to work for fewer hours than full time with your employer and dont work for the rest of the time, that means, you will fall short of the Wages earned for your qualification. Thats a violation to the LC/140/485 requirement.

So its a catch 22 situation, that you would really want to avoid as much as possible.