Working in the US but living in Canada

jollykh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm a US Green Card holder and I am a Canadian citizen. My family and I want to move back to Canada but I want to continue working in the US. I'm a consultant and it doesn't matter where I live, but I want to continue to collect a US paycheck. What are some of the tax considerations for living in Canada but working in the US? I will be in the US for work from Monday to Friday, and return to Canada on the weekend.
Thanks for your help!!

Earn US income
File your US tax returns
FIle your cdn tax returns
Take your US taxes paid as foreign tax credit
pay the difference if any

Thanks so much for the response! Do you know if I have to establish some sort of US address to maintain my Green Card/Permanent Status? Do I have to redeclare myself as a Canadian Resident?

Again, thanks for the quick response.

Thanks for the information. It was a great help. I will look for an Accountant. Can you recommend one for me?

So, if I understand this correctly, as long as I don't live in Canada for more than 180 days, then I'm not subject to being taxed? But my family (wife, children) will reside in Canada full-time. Does this 180-days apply as a family?

Trading

Hi All,

I am new to this thread.

I am having very good experience in stock trading.

After moving to canada, If I am swing trading/daytrading full time through online discount brokers and earning some money and file for tax returns for continuous 3 years, Am I eligible to apply for canadian immigration. i.e. even not working any job and doing just the trading through online discount brokers.

Please advice me in this.

I appreciate your help in this.

Thanks
arun

Work in US and Stay in Canada

Hi jollykh,

I am working in US on H1 B and have recently became the landed immigrant of Canada. I want to know if I can stay in Canada and work in US, and if so what are the issues involved.

I would appreciate an early response.

Thanks,

RS

u could either commute to work in the US from canada everyday ( if you are lucky enough to get a job in border town )

or

move to canada whenever convenient to you to maintain your PR keeping 2 out of 5 years physical residency there.

living in canada but working in usa

Hi i am a canadian citizen and my wife is a US citizen and she we be moving to vancouver BC on december 25 2005. my question is can she live in canada and work in the US. she does not have residence or a green card in canada but will she be able to cross the boarder into the US and still be able to get back into canada. i know that if we file for her imigration to canada she can not work here and can not go back to the US untill it comes back can you help give me any info that might help. :)