Work with EAD but no SSN?

meteora

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone tell me how they went about handling filling out paperwork for taxes at work when they have their EAD but haven't gotten a SSN yet? They don't seem to familiar with this situation at all when I said I don't have a SSN yet. It's not required to have a SSN to work is it?

Thanks!

Well, you must have an EAD so you can work legally in the US. That is just the authorization. For goverment purposes you need a SSN so you can pay taxes (unless you have an ITIN number) and to pay the part of social security.

meteora said:
Can anyone tell me how they went about handling filling out paperwork for taxes at work when they have their EAD but haven't gotten a SSN yet? They don't seem to familiar with this situation at all when I said I don't have a SSN yet. It's not required to have a SSN to work is it?

Thanks!

Ive seen this situation many times at my work place. There would be guys coming over on H1/L1 for the first time from the offshore branch and it takes them 1-2 months to get an SSN. They still work during that time, but they dont get paid. Once they get the SSN, they are retroactively paid their dues.

You have to remember that the company cannot pay you without SSN. But you can opt to work without pay with a valid EAD till you get your SSN. Its your understanding with the company.

Thanks for the help, I actually called IRS today and they said it shouldn't be a problem until the end of the tax year when they send in the W-2, hopefully I'll have everything by then.

If SSA office takes time to issue your SSN, that means they are probably waiting for USCIS to update your records. Call USCIS if things dont happen on time.