Work history- Independent contractor vs. self employed

cjcj

In the last 5 years ive always been on 1099, but worked for long periods for same companies ( everyone is freelance in film industry) And claimed unemployment in between at one point for 1.5 years. What is better- to say I am self employed the whole time and add no job details or add details for the companies I worked for, listing the unemployed periods in between?
Companies are not my official ' employer' as im still an independent contractor, but Im also not ' self employed as I don't own my own company/ not LLC. What is best?

Employer- Employee relationship = getting a W2 from them. If you got a 1099 or filed a schedule C, you are self employed.

OK great thank you for clarifying- so I don't need to have an LLC to be self employed. Makes it simpler

OK great thank you for clarifying- so I don't need to have an LLC to be self employed. Makes it simpler
LLCs are of two types: pass thru where you file a schedule C or taxed as a Corp. In that case you pay yourself via payroll and issue yourself a W2. In the 2nd case you are an employee of the LLC and not self employed