Work from home in India

t_shanky_n

Hi,
I am currently on a H1-B visa working for a company in the US. I am planning to shift back to India for good. Can I legally work for my present company from my home in India. If I work as a regular full time employee, does my compnay have to open a branch in India. What is the easiest way for my company to employee me in India. Does my company have to do anything if I work as a contractor.

i think it must be a grey area.......since its a totally new concept that you can work remotely........even internationally.....

which means....you can sign contract with your employer that you can work remotely and he does not mind where you are physically located...

you will be getting paid by direct deposit in usa.....and you will be paying usa tax.

but what happens to tax in india?? (since you are not considered as NRI anymore)

Hi,
I really don't know how this is done. I know that you can sign a contract stating that one would be working online. But the payment of compensation is a question that I have not found an answer for. Double taxation is not possible. I was wondering if anyone went through such an experience or have any ideas.

One of my friends went back to India during 2004 and he worked for his client from home (Madras) for about a year. Instead of getting into complications.
he told his original employer to bill the client and was getting paid in Indian Rupess from the Indian Employer (that placed him at the US client site). He had to pay some billing/paperwork expenses to his Indian employer.

He worked from home about a year and came back to the US to work for
the client directory. And he did not have any problems in getting stamp for his new H1.

Hope this helps
Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

Hi,
I really don't know how this is done. I know that you can sign a contract stating that one would be working online. But the payment of compensation is a question that I have not found an answer for. Double taxation is not possible. I was wondering if anyone went through such an experience or have any ideas.